Thread: HD DVD Burners

Default HD DVD Burners

Hope this is the right forum, I'm wondering what peoples take on the (lack of) HD DVD burners on the market. I can finds old CES announcements for toshiba desktop drives but good luck trying to actually buy one right now.

Did they drop the ball on this one or is there more to it? Has anyone been able to buy a burner yet (or blank media for that matter)?
    (Signature Deleted For Rules Violation)

MrE
    MrE is offline Formerly MrENGLISH

HD DVD burners are pointless. You don't even need them to make home made HD DVD movies.
    this message was brought to you by MrE™
    WARNING: may contain Sarcasm and/or Bad Spelling

I know, you can author a HD disc to a DVD9, but obviously the runtime/quality will be limited by the DVD capacity.

More curious about backup solutions than home movies, really.

MrE

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
    More curious about backup solutions than home movies, really.
    Even more pointless since BD burners blow away HD DVD capacity by 66% per layer.

You're very close to being added to my ignore list, you seem to be trying to promote a pro-blue agenda and doing so in the wrong forum. If I wanted an impracticable solution I'd stick with exteranl HDD drives.

Back to the topic, has anyone seen release dates for HD burners, or is Toshiba still dragging it's feet?

MrE

You're very close to being added to my ignore list, you seem to be trying to promote a pro-blue agenda and doing so in the wrong forum. If I wanted an impracticable solution I'd stick with exteranl HDD drives.

Back to the topic, has anyone seen release dates for HD burners, or is Toshiba still dragging it's feet?
    Actually I'm not. I am just being realistic. You mentioned needing a solution based on space so I pushed Blu-ray since it offers more space. If HD DVD had burners available and you only needed 15-30GB discs for backup than I would support your choice. Reality is that HD DVD burners are not available and (at this point) seem pointless to be pursued. Sorry to upset you and its your loss, not mine, if you choose to ignore me.

Quote Originally Posted by MrE View Post
    You mentioned needing a solution based on space.
    No, I mentioned HD burners as a backup solution. I never mentioned space as criteria but did mention that BD is not practicable for my requirements. I don't have the time or inclination to keep correcting your comprehension so consider yourself 'ignored'.

MrE

No, I mentioned HD burners as a backup solution. I never mentioned space as criteria but did mention that BD is not practicable for my requirements. I don't have the time or inclination to keep correcting your comprehension so consider yourself 'ignored'.
    lol that is fine with me. But just to clarify...

Sorry I misunderstood what you were asking. Didn't realize you wanted to backup your HD DVDs since the word "backup" can also be used to mean you want to backup data. Next time be a little more clear as to what you are asking. I obviously wouldn't have even mentioned a BD burner if I knew you were looking to backup HD DVDs...

Last edited by MrE; 01-12-2008 at 11:56 PM.

INDY-HD-DVD is offline Member

Hope this is the right forum, I'm wondering what peoples take on the (lack of) HD DVD burners on the market. I can finds old CES announcements for toshiba desktop drives but good luck trying to actually buy one right now.

Did they drop the ball on this one or is there more to it? Has anyone been able to buy a burner yet (or blank media for that matter)?
    The only HD DVD burners that I know that made it to market are

NEC HD-1100 but I don't think it ever was sold outside of Japan

Toshiba has a few expensive laptops ( Toshiba Direct ) with burners in them
    Toshiba A2 HD DVD
    LG BH200 Dual Format

XBOX HD DVD Add-on - on the PC
    LG GGC-H20L Dual Format on the PC

Thanks for the link, I hadn't look at the laptops as a solution yet.

Arkadin is offline Member

I just read an article about Toshiba placing a massive order with Ritek for HD DVD RW discs to be used in a new laptop model they are either about to come out with or have already come out with. So there is some progress being made on this front.

EShy is offline Member

HP also has a burner for laptops, it's 400$ extra (over the standard DVD/DL burner)
    I'll support any format with an affordable fully featured player. so far it's only HD DVD and I can live without some movies until BD gets there

ccphilly1984 is offline HD Adult Movie Enthusiast

i want a burner for sedktops... either that or blu/hd combo for a laptop... i just bought an HP hd reader/blu writer combo in my new pc... hoping i can add an HD DVD burner soon to it.
    no signature pics allowed here? = lame

lysandre is offline Member

Tiny Burner is often a free burning software for commercial and personal use. It can be used of burning data on any kind of optical storage media, for instance CD, DVD or Blu-ray (also the discontinued HD-DVD format).

Tiny Burner can be utilized in partnership with a multitude of hardware burners and recognizes a variety of optical discs, for instance CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-R/ R DL, DVD R/RW, BD-R/RE, BD-R/RE DL, HD-DVD-R/RW and DVD-RAM.
    Melbourne is definitely a fabulous city and boasts many of Australia's best town planning and high Victorian architecture. I moved to this city weeks ago. Notwithstanding I had mountains of molehills to arrange, like purchasing cheap beds and sofa on the market, redecorating the kitchen, etc. All in all, I can enjoy the tennis major at The Aussie Open, stretch myself on a beach under the warm sun and try to persuade animals not to stamp my on garden!