Thread: Microphone?

Default Microphone?

I have the Canon HV20, and I am starting a new project which will be part live action and part CG animation. For the CG animation, I'm still going to film the actors saying their lines and acting out the actions so I can make my CG characters look like they're really performing the actions realistically. I am going to be using the Canon HV20 for this and I would like not to have the camera noise for lines that are supposed to be being spoken by animated characters. The problem is, the camera constantly has a buzz going on. I attached an external mic I have but the mic is obviously meant for close-range recording, as I have to turn the levels up pretty high and then you hear noise coming from the mic, almost as bad as the noise coming from the camera. I would like to get a shotgun mic to attach to the camera, but I really don't have much money (I have like $60 max right now) so is there any kind of microphone I can get in that price range that either wouldn't have the mic noise or would be able record sounds from far away without turning the recording levels too high?

If you want to take a look at the teaser for the project:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=B2PQMMoHcBc
    # of PS3 games: 29
    # of Blu-ray Movies: 74
    Never mind I think I'm just going to be using noise reduction filters in adobe premiere, they seem to do a pretty good job of canceling the noise. At least until I have enough money to buy a real shotgun mic for my camera.
    # of PS3 games: 29
    # of Blu-ray Movies: 74
    Shotgun mikes work ok but sometimes its much better to have a dedicated audio person on the shoot with eiter a boom mike or shotgun.

This leaves you free to concentrate on the video and shooting aspects and it works much better than trying to juggle the video and audio at the same time.