Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last>>

Default The death of Hi-Fi, interesting

SACD and DVD-A died not because of quality, but because there really was no market for the product. People wanted their music to be convenient, not perfect.

Now that is actually having an affect on how all music is produced, and music is the worse because of it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...igh_fidelity/0

Both BD and HD are not simple products to own (firmware updates, HDMI etc), whereas DVD was simple and universally so.

But BD and HD are much better than DVD but in the end the simplicity of DVD just may beat the perfection of BD and HD.
    I live in East Toronto and am married to a beautiful woman who runs a yoga studio. We have two wonderful kids, boy and girl, two cats and a mortgage that is almost paid off.

I have an HD-A20 and a PS3 but leaned red because the extras did count. Bye Bye HD, you gave it your best, that's all we could ask. Sony, finish your damn product already!

The Numbers: 900+ DVDs (rapidly declining), 34 HD-DVDs (+1 on order, + 5 free), 17 BDs (+2 on order). Last movie: Close Encounters.
    Yeah actually the death of Hi-Fi began a lot earlier than mp3, but yeah it's pretty much dead. I have read a few articles about this situation. Unfortunately SACD came along right when free downloading began to take off and well guess what happened? LOL
    Anyway, it's hilarious to listen to people talk about how clueless I am for still bothering with LPs every now and then. "CDs are SOOOOOO much better dude."
    "uhhhhh sorry dumb stupid ignorant fool, they are not even close." lol. I mean imagine if people actually TRIED to become more educated.
    trust me, "new" can be better, but not always, as my amazing hd crt proves every day. To each his own.

(although I will graciously accept a new Kuro, because those sets actually ARE the shit. They are the exception, though)
    Napster and file sahring along with The Ipod and mp3 sped up the proces! So sad

Dude you have an hd crt??!!! I just retired mine actually it died 6 months ago! It was a sony 34"! That tv blows away my toshiba 1080p and gives my xbr4 a run for its mony in PQ. So SAD for me it died

52"XBR4 PS3 XBOX360 Wii Denon DVD-1800BD ARCAM AVR600 NAIM CD5x
    Nordost Red Dawn Speaker Wires and Interconnects
    DYNAUDIO CONFIDENCE C2/CONTOUR SC CENTER /FOCUS 110
    (REARS)
    Yep, the Sony 420 bought in 2005 going strong! (There are a few more members with it also) I thought about getting an XrB970 for when it dies (they still have em at HHGreggs near me). I read that the 970 is the same set basically.
    I think I'm going to get a 720p Kuro as my next set. If the crt was larger I probably wouldn't care. That's the ONLY drawback for me. I love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
    Yep, the Sony 420 bought in 2005 going strong! (There are a few more members with it also) I thought about getting an XrB970 for when it dies (they still have em at HHGreggs near me). I read that the 970 is the same set basically.
    I think I'm going to get a 720p Kuro as my next set. If the crt was larger I probably wouldn't care. That's the ONLY drawback for me. I love it!

go for it!

52"XBR4 PS3 XBOX360 Wii Denon DVD-1800BD ARCAM AVR600 NAIM CD5x
    Nordost Red Dawn Speaker Wires and Interconnects
    DYNAUDIO CONFIDENCE C2/CONTOUR SC CENTER /FOCUS 110
    (REARS)
    Fortunately, there is the alternative of using a lossles codec for ripping audio. I just added a 1.5TB drive for audio storage on my network, and am re-ripping my entire collection in Apple Lossless. It's not 24/96, but it is pretty impossible for me to differentiate from the CD source.

True HD and DTS MA are pretty fine, and I'm an audio snob.
    Epson Pro 1080UB projector
    106" Elite Expo white wall-mount screen
    Integra 9.8 Surround Processor
    Theta Dreadnaught Amp (5 channel)
    AudioSource One stereo amp (rear surrounds)
    Panasonic BD30
    Toshiba XA2
    My own LRC speakers and sub + 4 PSB 50 surrounds
    AppleTV and Mac Mini with 1.5TB RAID for music/visualizer/photos

Question whats the best portable flac or Vorbis player

Flac and Vorbis do the job when transfering from my LPs to ones and zeros.

So whats the best portable flac player
    Don't most mp3 players support FLAC? I know my ipod nano does, & I'm sure most of the reviews I've read recently usually list FLAC support.
    Oh.......thats interesting since my one reason to not purchase any MP3 players was that I hate the crap sound of MP3 files being played back as compared to the original sound fresh off the LP.

Well I guess you learn something new every day.

Now I wonder how long until Flac or Vorbis becomes the prevalent audio format(s) on portable players instead of MP3?

Well I am off to buy a portable Flac player (I refuse to say mp3 player).

My one question is that now that neither bandwith limitations nor storage limitations are the issue then why, just why?! are those garbage mp3 files so prevalent instead of wonderfull Vorbis or Flac audio files?
    so what player did you get?
    I want a portable flac player also.
    Vorbis is pretty sweet I must say.
    I really wish the music industry would get on the bd wagon.
    It's really the last great hope to erase the cd debacle.
    (btw: cds are ok, but the format has lasted WAY too long; should have been buried long ago)
    Quote Originally Posted by holsty101 View Post
    Don't most mp3 players support FLAC? I know my ipod nano does, & I'm sure most of the reviews I've read recently usually list FLAC support.
    No, and no it doesn't. I think maybe you have Apple Lossless confused with FLAC. The Apple Lossless is similar to FLAC (probably based on it since FLAC is GPL), but not compatible.

Now, with a firmware hack, you can get linux running on some of the iPods and add support for FLAC, from what I have read. To my knowledge there was only ever one DAP that supported FLAC out of the box and it's now dead.
    so no FLAC on an ipod?
    I didn't realize you couldn't have that format on those players.
    Why don't they support that?
    Is it a licensing deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
    so no FLAC on an ipod?
    I didn't realize you couldn't have that format on those players.
    Why don't they support that?
    Is it a licensing deal?
    dang apple.

I am still undecided on what to buy.
    Anything that supports Rockbox if you don't mind getting your hands dirty.
    [QUOTE=Arkadin;569328]Yeah actually the death of Hi-Fi began a lot earlier than mp3, but yeah it's pretty much dead. I have read a few articles about this situation. Unfortunately SACD came along right when free downloading began to take off and well guess what happened? LOL
    Anyway, it's hilarious to listen to people talk about how clueless I am for still bothering with LPs every now and then. "CDs are SOOOOOO much better dude."
    "uhhhhh sorry dumb stupid ignorant fool, they are not even close." lol. I mean imagine if people actually TRIED to become more educated.
    trust me, "new" can be better, but not always, as my amazing hd crt proves every day. To each his own.

LPs with the right equipment will blow away a CD period .....
    Pre-Pro Halcro SSP-100 (200) with MPCM over HDMI
    Amp Halcro MC-5
    Speakers Main Acoustic Zen adagio, Center Audes Grand Sentral, Rear Audes Blues
    Players Oppo BDP-83. EAD Theatervision P
    Cables IC Audience AU 24 All Balanced, Speaker Acoustic Zen Satori
    Sub Monitor FB210
    Power Conditioner Running Spring Audio Haley W/Cardas Golden Reference Power Cable
    Meridian G08 CD player
    Sony KDS-60A3000 Display
    Harmony 1000 Remote