Page 2 of 3 << First 1 2 3 Last>>
    Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    Or, since I have both formats, how to clean a HDDVD or Blu ray disc??

My wife got finger prints on one of my prized Blu ray discs and I need to know how to clean them off without scratching or leaving a residue on the disc itself.

I've scratched far too many regular DVD's in the past to not be cautious about cleaning my high def media.... Help!!!

-Craig
    Just like a DVD. Soap and warm water. And use a non abrasive cloth for drying. Never had a problem in the 10 years I've been cleaning discs this way.
    = 478 (56.7%)
    = 365 (43.3%)
    Last : 3D-Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Last : P2: A New Level Of Terror
    Media Players: FireTV, S6200 x2, S5100 x2, Roku3, PCH-A400 x2, NTV550, Boxee Box x3, Roku2 x2, PCH-C200
    Gaming Systems: XBOne x2, PS4
    39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
    Go pick up a "Monster ScreenClean" display cleaning kit. This product is designed to clean your video display but works wonders on CD, DVD, HD DVD, & Blu-ray. The kit comes with Monster ScreenClean spray and a microfiber cloth and works wonders for video display cleaning as well. I use this on my big screen tv, LCD DVD Display in my car, and on my computer monitor. I purchased this for $20 about two years ago and I still have over 3/4 of a bottle of spray left. You can find this product at your local Best Buy store. I seriously recommend it.
    I Love NETFLIX!

DVD: 600+
    : 26
    : 101

60 Gig games: 15
    60 Gig games: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by bluskiessmingatme View Post
    I've used an ordinary tissue paper and it cleans it easily. There's no need for any washing or solutions. We're not talking about HD DVD! The protective coating on the Blu discs is great. Just a light rub with the tissue paper and it is new again. Rich86 above admits he doesn't have any Blu discs, so don't listen to him when it comes to cleaning a Blu disc.
    Well, if you think your blu-ray discs are indestructible and you don't care enough about them to invest $15 or $20 into a good cleaning mechanism, then feel free to take steel wool to them for all I care. But if you value your collection to any degree (like I value my collection of cd's, laser discs, dvd's, hd-dvd's and probably blu-rays eventually) then get a decent tool to do the job right on any media you have for a pittance of an investment. It is a bargain to take proper care of your media. I have been using one of these tools since I first started buying cd's (mid 1980's) in spite of the talk at the time being that cd's were practically indestructible (compared to vinyl LP's, of course). Needless to say - that is not the case. But do what you want and learn the hard way.
    Last edited by Rich86; 03-02-2008 at 02:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
    I have been using one of these tools since I first started buying cd's (mid 1980's) in spite of the talk at the time being that cd's were practical indestructible (compared to vinyl LP's, of course). Needless to say - that is not the case. But do what you want and learn the hard way.
    I have an old cleaning kit as well, and it has done a remarkably good job when it has been used. I have had problems on sd dvds that appeared to be from a speck of dirt on them. I have tried brushing them off to washing them, and the problem just gets worse. I then break out the cleaning kit, and the disc works perfectly! That fluid does not leave a residue, and that is a major problem with most tissues (perfumed, usually) -- Instead of cleaning the disc, you just end up smearing it.

I learned quickly about how cds were not indestructible when the players were new to the market. At the store, we scuffed a cd pretty bad. It still played, but there was one section where it actually skipped.
    Toshiba HD-A3
    HD DVD titles owned: 71
    Panasonic DMP-BD30K
    Blu-ray titles owned: 51
    standard DVD titles owned: 1262+
    VCD titles owned: 16
    VHS titles owned: 214
    Def use a micro fiber cloth and warm water. Or if just fingerprints, fog it up with your breath and wipe it with the cloth. You are safe from scratches with microfiber.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
    Well, if you think your blu-ray discs are indestructible and you don't care enough about them to invest $15 or $20 into a good cleaning mechanism, then feel free to take steel wool to them for all I care. But if you value your collection to any degree (like I value my collection of cd's, laser discs, dvd's, hd-dvd's and probably blu-rays eventually) then get a decent tool to do the job right on any media you have for a pittance of an investment. It is a bargain to take proper care of your media. I have been using one of these tools since I first started buying cd's (mid 1980's) in spite of the talk at the time being that cd's were practically indestructible (compared to vinyl LP's, of course). Needless to say - that is not the case. But do what you want and learn the hard way.
    Rich, until you actually experience a Blu-ray disc and see how that extra layer they put on it protects it, please don't talk about what you would do to clean it. I know for ordinary things like HD DVD and DVDs that special care must be taken, but there is a plastic-like coating they pour over Blu discs that make them resistant to almost anything. A simple wipe off of fingerprints and they are still perfect. You will feel the difference in a Blu-ray disc the very first time you pick one up. It feels thicker yet lighter than an HD DVD or DVD. You take a tissue paper to clean an HD DVD or DVD and you may clean off fingerprints but you are likely to leave light scratches. That doesn't happen with Blu-ray.

As a matter of fact, I believe I have read that Blu discs are different than DVDs and HD DVD in their composition and that's why one can't correctly call a Blu-ray disc a Blu-ray DVD. Maybe someone here has more scientific knowledge about what they are made of. One difference is that you can practically see through the material of a Blu-ray disc when you hold it up to the light, as opposed to a regular DVD or HD DVD.
    Last edited by bluskiessmingatme; 03-02-2008 at 10:00 AM.
    Rich, until you actually experience a Blu-ray disc and see how that extra layer they put on it protects it, please don't talk about what you would do to clean it. I know for ordinary things like HD DVD and DVDs that special care must be taken, but there is a plastic-like coating they pour over Blu discs that make them resistant to almost anything. A simple wipe off of fingerprints and they are still perfect. You will feel the difference in a Blu-ray disc the very first time you pick one up. It feels thicker yet lighter than an HD DVD or DVD. You take a tissue paper to clean an HD DVD or DVD and you may clean off fingerprints but you are likely to leave light scratches. That doesn't happen with Blu-ray.

As a matter of fact, I believe I have read that Blu discs are different than DVDs and HD DVD in their composition and that's why one can't correctly call a Blu-ray disc a Blu-ray DVD. Maybe someone here has more scientific knowledge about what they are made of. One difference is that you can practically see through the material of a Blu-ray disc when you hold it up to the light, as opposed to a regular DVD or HD DVD.
    Just because I do not own a blu-ray disc player or titles, doesn't mean I have never seen or handled one. It is optical media - much like other optical media. The last one I had in my hand had scratches on it and refused to play in the demo player it was in. The issue is as much about residue left on the plastic surface as it is about scratches - and the increased data density of blu-ray potentially makes the issue even more important. But like I said earlier - feel free to do whatever - it's your stuff - I'm done . .
    Spit on it and then wipe with t-shirt. J/k about the spit part, but a t-shirt does a great job against fingerprints, etc.
    "You and me are done, professionally"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
    Spit on it and then wipe with t-shirt. J/k about the spit part, but a t-shirt does a great job against fingerprints, etc.
    Is this a scientific answer to the question of extending the playable life of a blu-ray optical media entertainment product? - or your attitude about blu-ray in general? . . .
    Simple soap and water. Do not user cleansers with ammonia.

Dry it with any 100% cotton like a bath towel, hand towel, or even a wash cloth if it's cotton (yes, t-shirts work). Wipe across the disk to dry, do not dry in a circular motion.
    A little steel wool and some sandpaper should do you well!

Personally, if a little dust happens to fall on one of my discs... I just use a clean t-shirt. If it is handy, I'll use the microfiber bag that came with my Oakleys and do a simple wipe off. My discs stay in the case when not in use, so I never have any major issues. I also baby my discs and am very careful with each one.

Now, when I'm using Netflix, that's another story. I'll wipe discs on the carpet, couch, paper towel, hand towel or whatever else is handy at the time. I don't know what people do with their Netflix discs, but when I was using them, I received a disc or two that looked like it was dipped in mud.
    My living room set up:

audio: Denon 3801 powering Energy Veritas 2.2 fronts and the 2.0 center, rears and surrounds Energy Encore with an SVS 20-39 powered cylinder subwoofer.

video: Denon DVD-1600, Samsung BD-P1000 and Toshiba HD-A1 through a Sanyo Z4 projector.

My Blu-ray and HD DVD list
    I use windex and paper towel.
    This is why I love BD's Protective Coating...

My niece got prints on one of them and I just washed my hands/dried have used my PALM to wipe it off, just like new. LOL
    SHAOLIN'S FINEST

46" SAMSUNG LN46D630 1080P LCD | DENON AVR-2808CI Lossless 7.1 Receiver | Sony BDP- S760 | Toshiba HD-XA2 | ROGERS 8300HD-PVR | polk audio RTiA5 Cherry Towers, CSi3 Center, R25 Rear Surrounds & M30 Rear Surround Backs

Way to be a dick to a person that was simply giving an option to cleaning a disc. Since they don't need to be cleaned then why would someone actaully ask about it. The man was simply saying how he would clean one.
    Any one try a dishwasher yet? I am just curious if Blu-ray is dishwasher safe. Maybe one of you steel wool/sandpaper guys would like to give it a try and let me know lol.
    I Love NETFLIX!

DVD: 600+
    : 26
    : 101

60 Gig games: 15
    60 Gig games: 1