Default How many HD movies can fit on one HD DVD or Blu-ray disc?

I was looking at my 3 disc box set of the Mission impossible trilogy and wondering: Why arent all 3 of these movies on one disc?

Is there any reason they dont do this? The capacity should be there, especially for the bluray format.
    Maybe for the BD-50’s – but then you may end up sacrificing extras or TrueHD/DTS-HD MA?
    i never watch extras.... plus just put those on another disc
    There should be 8 hours of HD content on a dual layer disc (more on BD, but we'll go agnostic in this thread). You theoretically can do three 1.5hr movies on there, but I doubt they'll do that. But you could put a whole season of an SD show on one disc.
    are you willing to give up image quality just so they can fit the movies onto one disk? I know I wouldn't be.
    Me neither - what's the point of HD-DVD/BD discs then if you just want SD quality!
    Quote Originally Posted by glocks out View Post
    There should be 8 hours of HD content on a dual layer disc (more on BD, but we'll go agnostic in this thread). You theoretically can do three 1.5hr movies on there, but I doubt they'll do that. But you could put a whole season of an SD show on one disc.
    well it would be nice for tv shows... i guess they could put a show like 24 on 3 discs instead of 6. that would me kinda nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tejstar View Post
    Me neither - what's the point of HD-DVD/BD discs then if you just want SD quality!
    well they could do a compromise of sorts.... such as having the show in 720p instead of 1080p, or 1080i instead of 1080p. my tv converts very well, especially for 1080i signals. i wouldnt notice the "downgrade" from 1080p to 1080i, but doing so would theoretically allow 16hrs of HD content on one disc instead of 8. so theoretically, i could get all 3 LOTR movies on one disc, and all 6 star wars movies on one disc.... and i would LOVE that.