Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: New Smackdown Rules
03-05-2007, 05:26 PM #1
New Smackdown Rules
Smackdown Specific Rules The intent of this forum is to create a stage for meaningful discussion of the differences between Blu-ray and HD DVD.
If you choose to participate in the smackdown forum, name calling directed towards an individual or group is strictly forbidden and will be dealt with accordingly. As a forum participant, if you don’t have something meaningful to contribute to a smackdown topic, please refrain from posting.
(1) Directed attacks of any individual or group of people are strictly prohibited! Here are some examples of what is and is not acceptable:
Acceptable: Your format is GARBAGE, and here is why... (then provide qualified response)
Unacceptable: ____ format supporters are all a bunch of idiots! (This is a generalization with no qualified response)
Note that in the example above, the important difference is that attacking the format is acceptable, while attacking its supporters is not. If you still have questions as to what is okay, and what is not... please PM a moderator, and we will help you sort it all out.
(2) Many topics & statistics have already been discussed, debated, turned upside down, inside out, re-analyzed, and re-securitized multiple times. With that said, we encourage you to please use our search feature before you begin a topic. Take note we are working on creating “Master Threads” for topics that tend to come up a lot. These are the only areas where you may post about a frequently discussed topic. To keep things neat, all other posts that belong in “Master Threads” will be moved, or deleted.
(3) Threads that contain format bashing in their title will be removed without warning .
One example would be "10 reasons why _____ format sucks!"
These type of topics are HIGHLY unproductive and simply fuel other unproductive threads and dialog.
(4) Personal attacks in the threads themselves are not permitted. Additionally, please do NOT fuel the situation by responding to a personal attack. If you observe a personal attack, use the 'Report Post' icon at the top of every post. DO NOT quote personal attacks, and do not respond in kind with your own counter-attack (the first post is a problem, and any response -- however well intentioned -- compounds it).
(5)Trolling is not allowed. Posts that say absolutely nothing will be removed, and action will be taken (i.e. 1st troll post = warning, second troll post = 1 point... see 'Warning System' below)There is no substance to this post, and it does nothing but make you look silly. If you have facts or ideas to share, we encourage you to do so. If all you want to say is how much you hate the other format... DON'T!
(6)Users of the Smackdown forums are now limited to 2 new threads per forum per day to help keep the Smackdown area cleaner. This is in response to the numerous complaints from users looking for more organized lively debate.
(7) Avoid excessive uses of CAPS, colored Text and Huge Font Sizes, and Do Not Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Word. These just serve to make people think you are craving attention. Well written prose in standard text is far more persuasive and will get your point across more clearly.
(8)The moderating staff is changing the way that we handle infractions to a Progressive Warning System. We used to initially send out a friendly PM, explaining 'you can't do that'... and get more stern from there.
Here is the new 'Warning System':
This is a point based system --- the worse the infraction, the more points you will accrue
- 1st offense: Warning message sent.
- Second offense: Point added and/or posting privledges suspended.
If your first infraction was a warning, your second will result in a 'one point infraction'... but if your first warning was something that merrited a point, your second infraction will result in a short suspension (usually 1-7 days). This is time for you to cool off, and get things back into perspective. This is not 'life and death'... it's a format war. Calm down.
- Third offense: Suspension from the site.
- Fourth offense: Banning from this site.
There are a few items that will receive an instant 1 week (or more) suspension from the site. These include, but are not limited to:
- Hate speech of any kind (be it race, sexual preference, or gender).
- Attacking a moderator.
- Willful, and flagrant disregard for other members.
- Intimidation or even hints of physical violence (example: "why don't you come over to my house and say that to me in person, if you're man enough") This includes attacks made via PM.
- 1st minor offense: Warning message sent.
- 2nd offense (or first major offense): Point added and/or posting privledges suspended.
- 3rd offense: Temporary suspension from the site.
- 4th offense: Permanent Ban from the site.
Points will accrue on a rolling 180 day period. What does that mean? It means that if you receive an infraction, you will be 'on watch' for 6 months. If you are good for 179 days, and then make a mistake... the 6 months start all over again.
By posting in the Smackdown, you are signifing that you understand these rules, and agree to follow them. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, or any other member of the moderating staff.
If you have issues with the moderation of this board please contact jed (the site's publisher), and your complaint will be investigated appropriately. We have a system of checks and balances in place to ensure fairness. Do not attempt to air your grievances about moderation publicly or it will be viewed as an attack on the moderators (which will receive an immediate suspension of posting privledges).
Last edited by AV_Integrated; 03-06-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Updated Rules
03-05-2007, 05:28 PM #2
As a reminder, here are the General Site Rules:
General High Def Digest Forum Rules
(1) Absolutely NO FLAMING, HATE SPEECH, NAME CALLING OR PERSONAL ATTACKS. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm.
(2) No FORMAT BASHING allowed, except in the Blu-ray vs HD DVD Smackdown forum, which has its own set of specific rules.
(3) Each of our topic-specific boards are intended as a place for substantive discussion of that topic. No OFF-TOPIC posting (including "joke threads") are allowed. If the topic of your thread doesn't fit one of our existing topic areas, you can post it to our "Water Cooler" forum, where nothing is off-topic.
(4) No THREAD HIJACKING. Start another thread if you have a different topic.
(5) No SPAMMING. Any such messages will be promptly removed by either a forum moderator or administrator, and the poster will be banned from posting other messages on our forums.
(6) No CURSING in the thread title. Profanity is permitted in the thread body, but please refrain from using excessive profanity.
(7) No BOMBING forums or threads with pointless posts.
(8) No SHOUTING (Posting in all capital letters) -- it’s hard to read and just plain rude and annoying.
(9) No LINKING or POSTING of pornographic or NSFW material.
(10) Do not post PERSONAL INFORMATION (i.e. addresses, phone numbers, passwords, personal identification numbers, images) or any other information considered private without the express permission of the individual. You must respect the privacy of other members.
(11) Do not IMPERSONATE other individuals or falsely represent yourself. You are only allowed one user name in our forums.
(12) POST to the forum that is most appropriate for the topic being presented. Threads incorrectly placed will be moved or closed.
(13) Do not post MATERIAL where you do not have permission to distribute it electronically or otherwise. This includes posting images directly from a website (Bandwidth Theft) Images are to be hosted personally or by a third party host.
(14) Observe all COPYRIGHT LAWS, TOS's and NDA's when posting copyrighted material. If the material belongs to someone else, credit the original author. Do not post messages that violate Federal, State, or Local laws which include, but are not limited to, anything that violates a copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or is bound by NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement).
(15) No BUYING, TRADING, or SELLING anywhere with the exception of the Disc Exchange areas. High-Def Digest is NOT RESPONSIBLE for any loss due to any sale or exchange of any item in the Disc Exchange forum areas. Caveat Emptor!!
(16) Posting is to be in ENGLISH only. Non-English posts will be closed or removed.
(17) Do not discuss, suggest, engage, or encourage any ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES. Links provided to locations that deal with any such activity are also expressly forbidden.
(18) ADVERTISING, site pimping, contests or any type of business promotion is not permitted. Soliciting for fraternal organizations, humanitarian causes or personal rewards is prohibited unless approved prior to posting.
(19) Do not abuse BB CODE. It is provided as a benefit to you and its usage can be revoked.
(20) No active graphics, code, format-bashing, profanity or advertising allowed in the SIGNATURE. Sig line is limited to 10 lines total as viewed @ 800 x 600 resolution or no more that 15 words per line.
(21) Any discussion of AD BLOCKING software or instruction for using ad blocking regarding this forum or any other discussion in general of attempting to block advertisement will result in a no questions asked permanent ban on your account. This is not done lightly, rather deliberately to deny access to those who choose to utilize this forum, but not support our sponsors. It takes money to finance the cost of bandwidth, especially a forum of this size and if you don't care enough to support us through our advertisers, then we don't need your business. This will be the only warning with no discussion.
(22) You must respect forum MODERATORS and ADMINISTRATORS and are bound to follow their directions and instructions.
(23) You are allowed one signature per post. A signature section is supplied for that usage. No one wants to see your name on your posts multiple times as it is annoying.
Breaking any of the above listed forum rules can result in the loss of posting privileges and possible loss of your forum account. High-Def Digest also reserves the right to ban any user, at any time, and for any reason.
Moderators and Administrators will review forum messages for those that are in violation of High-Def Digest's rules. Any messages found to be in violation will be deleted without warning or explanation.
High-Def Digest reserves the right to edit, reprint, distribute, move or delete any posting for any reason and without prior notification or explanation to the author.
All messages posted become the property of High-Def Digest.
High-Def Digest and its representatives will not be held liable for the result of the usage of any information provided in the High-Def Digest Forums, and disclaim all liability resulting in the use of the posted information.
High-Def Digest takes no responsibility for the content of any of the messages posted in the High-Def Digest Forums nor for the authenticity of its authors.
All opinions and views expressed in the High-Def Digest are solely those of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of High-Def Digest, Internet Brands, Inc. or its representatives.
High-Def Digest reserves the right to change the aforementioned rules at any time without warning or notice.
It is the responsibility of the forum member to check this page on a regular basis for any revisions in High-Def Digest Forums rules before making any posts to the forum.
By posting to the High-Def Digest Forums, you agree to abide by the above rules and terms.
Last edited by jed; 06-07-2008 at 11:12 PM.