Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 69
  1. #31
    hdinred's Avatar
    hdinred is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    No one would argue that the Atari Jaguar was dead on arrival, or even the Sega Dreamcast. I love my Sega Dreamcast, but a miracle was needed to save it. It was doomed to fail and was more or less sent to die.
    Dreamcast broke sales records when it launched.. in no way DOA... PS3 was a catastrophe at launch, but turned things around.. also not DOA.. I don't think you understand what DOA means!

    Also, from what I’ve seen, UHD-BD isn’t really being marketed as a replacement to standard BD.. new releases have the UHD, BD and a digital copy for about $10 more than the standard BD. So judging it compared to DVD or BD really isn't accurate.. it's just an upgraded BD designed for new 4K technology.. no one suggested it would change the trajectory of digital overtaking disc, however as the most capable 4K option at the moment, it's a nice bonus for 4K TV owners, buying a 4K capable console.
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One – The Leader in 4K Entertainment.


    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

  2. #32
    RM's Avatar
    RM
    RM is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    11,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
    I don't think you understand what DOA means!
    PS4 - Because Cronie

    PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

  3. #33
    hdinred's Avatar
    hdinred is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    Vinyl records are a a niche product, and yet they still sell just fine.
    Vinyl revenue will top $1 billion this year
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One – The Leader in 4K Entertainment.


    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

  4. #34
    RM's Avatar
    RM
    RM is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    11,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
    Yeah, but there's like 5 nerds spending a combined 300 million a year on that stuff.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

    PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

  5. #35
    Krawk's Avatar
    Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    10,954

    Default

    What are the real numbers here? Are these numbers skewed?
    When you buy a physical copy of a Bethesda game you get a disc that installs steam with a key code to download the game. What does this count as? Physical, digital or both? There are many other brands of games that appear to do this.
    If I pay $2.49 for a bundle of 19 games from indie gala, this is 19 votes for digital, right? Another skew factor.
    When assholes like Origin do not offer a physical option in the U.S. this forces the digital route also.

    When I bought Ori and the Blind Forest there was no physical option. Months later I saw it in the store. Had I known this I would have opted for the fancy package.

    We've had this argument before, over and over again. These numbers are very skewed IMO. There is no accurate number. And including mobile phone or tablet sales in this figure throws numbers off yet even more. Let me insert that dvd into my mobile phone to install that game!
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portland,Maine
    Posts
    22,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    I was able to acquire CD Keys

    I know some bastard had stolen my keys and it was not the simple explanation of me misplacing them.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

    I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

  7. #37
    Krawk's Avatar
    Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    10,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Steam still keeps access to the titles. I was able to acquire CD Keys to delisted games and activate them. Prey being the most recent.
    Wait, Prey was delisted? That's a new game isn't it?
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

  8. #38
    RM's Avatar
    RM
    RM is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    11,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post

    Wait, Prey was delisted? That's a new game isn't it?
    The new one is a reboot of a launch era 360 game. He's talking about the old one.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

    PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

  9. #39
    twonunpackmule's Avatar
    twonunpackmule is offline Sponsored by Crony
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    2-D Theater
    Posts
    32,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    Yeah, but there's like 5 nerds spending a combined 300 million a year on that stuff.
    I'm one of them.

    However, I'll continue to argue that vinyl is different than a digital format. BD is a digital format, not analog. The delivery method doesn't really matter for the file. I can send you 20gb HD file and it will be the same. Vinyl is different. It's a whole package. Whether it's better is up to the person. I only buy vinyl I give a shit about. So, I'm under 100 in my collection and mostly pure digital.

    Last record I bought was a reissue of Sleep's Holy Mountain. Ugh, that album is good.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

    Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

  10. #40
    twonunpackmule's Avatar
    twonunpackmule is offline Sponsored by Crony
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    2-D Theater
    Posts
    32,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
    Dreamcast broke sales records when it launched.. in no doa.
    Actually, if you read about the Dreamcast and what it needed to do...

    It was DOA. This is coming from a fan. I loved my DC. Loved it. However, the history and factual economics of it tell a completely different story. The Dreamcast was doomed. It was DOA. Sent to slaughter. A Hail Mary.

    The PS3 was a fuck up, not DOA. I don't confuse the two. So, I do know what DOA means. I don't let my personal feelings for a product cloud my judgment.

    DOA Product is knowing that the market is going in a different direction than what you're releasing. The Steambox would be considered DOA. Especially since Valve never followed up.

    UHD-BD is a DOA product because the consumer base is going to streaming. That is how people are consuming their media. That doesn't mean it doesn't have a small market, but people who buy into the format tend to know it's limited appeal. Thus, it's DOA.
    Last edited by twonunpackmule; 04-22-2017 at 08:56 PM.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

    Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

  11. #41
    RM's Avatar
    RM
    RM is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    11,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    However, I'll continue to argue that vinyl is different than a digital format. BD is a digital format, not analog. The delivery method doesn't really matter for the file. I can send you 20gb HD file and it will be the same. Vinyl is different. It's a whole package. Whether it's better is up to the person.
    The exact same thing is true of analog. Vinyl records don't offer higher fidelity than reel-to-reel tape - it's just no one uses tape machines to listen to music anymore because they were a PITA.

    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    I only buy vinyl I give a shit about. So, I'm under 100 in my collection and mostly pure digital.
    And that's exactly my point with UHD BD: It's a format for people who really care about movies - just like vinyl is there for people who really care about music. It's a niche market, but that doesn't mean it's doomed. It can be a healthy, but small segment of the home video market, just like vinyl is for music.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

    PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

  12. #42
    twonunpackmule's Avatar
    twonunpackmule is offline Sponsored by Crony
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    2-D Theater
    Posts
    32,441

    Default

    Again, one is analog versus digital.

    Vinyl offers an experience different than digital. That's the flaw in your argument. You have to understand the difference to have the argument.

    I vastly prefer analog over digital. It's why I buy my favorite albums on vinyl.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

    Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

  13. #43
    RM's Avatar
    RM
    RM is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    11,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Again, one is analog versus digital.

    Vinyl offers an experience different than digital. That's the flaw in your argument. You have to understand the difference to have the argument.

    I vastly prefer analog over digital. It's why I buy my favorite albums on vinyl.
    Fact: You like vinyl because it (generally speaking) provides the best quality version of a music recording. If vinyl sounded terrible, you wouldn't be buying it. Any other reason for purchasing or enjoying vinyl (the nice big covers, the "warm" sound of tube amps, the ritual of cleaning the disc and dropping the needle, the smell of the paper, etc.) is secondary to the high fidelity aspect of the format.

    If vinyl sounded like a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a cassette tape, you wouldn't care about it. Just like no home theater enthusiasts are out there touting VHS as a better format for watching movies.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

    PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

  14. #44
    RedRedSuit's Avatar
    RedRedSuit is online now Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    25,369

    Default

    Vinyl, scientifically, doesn't provide better quality than CD; and hardly better than a high-bitrate file when it comes to human perception. Vinyl's popularity is absolutely a combination of many things, together best described as the vinyl "experience."

    There's no UHD BD "experience." It's just another way for movie geeks to re-buy Star Wars and a small handful of other films they already own, this time with a quality improvement a niche within a niche cares about and that, yes, will be obtainable, at least sufficiently so to keep it from being even a sales blip, digitally.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

  15. #45
    hdinred's Avatar
    hdinred is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    There's no UHD BD "experience." It's just another way for movie geeks to re-buy Star Wars and a small handful of other films they already own, this time with a quality improvement a niche within a niche cares about and that, yes, will be obtainable, at least sufficiently so to keep it from being even a sales blip, digitally.
    Star Wars isn't on UHD-BD.

    Hey, I like retro gaming and I get people buying vinyl, even though I don't. On the other hand, there are times when I want top-end, which is why I bought an OLED, have a 7.1 sound system, etc. Watching Planet Earth II on UHD was definitely an "experience."
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One – The Leader in 4K Entertainment.


    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.1 PL1