Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by michealo View Post
    I skimmed, what's the number without mobile?
    6%

lol

I would bet it's still under 50%.
    Personally, the only reason I still buy physical is that I either get it for 20% off through Best Buy/Amazon or I wait for it to go on sale.
    If they would sell the digital title for cheaper than physical...I'd switch.

Although, I'm also not convinced that my digital titles will work in the future once they shut the server down that supplies the title. As we have seen on XBL and PSN, they can and do remove titles for download when rights expire and the game is gone forever unless you have saved a copy.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

michealo is offline Watcher of stances

No doubt physical media is going away but I'm still not buying digital very often when I get discounts up front and resell value when I'm done.
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo

RM
    RM is online now Member

No doubt physical media is going away but I'm still not buying digital very often when I get discounts up front and resell value when I'm done.
    Where do you resell your games?
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

hdinred is offline Member

If you accept digital then why can't you see how a physical format media is DOA? If the percentage is already at 74% for games...imagine the percentage for films. Sales were slumping during BD, they ain't climbing for UHD. Liking what a format offers doesn't change its worth or it's inevitable death. UHD-BD is a DOA format. It's meant to only appease a short term market as the content for 4k streaming increases.

Where do you see UHD-BD in 5 years?
    A shorter lifespan or a niche product is different than a "DOA" product. Where will UHD-BD be in 5 years? The same place PS4/XB1 be in 5 years.. this is the tech of today and it will be replaced with something better.

The bottom line is that UHD-BD is the best IQ/Sound you can get today in a consumer format, and I'd imagine those that care enough to have a 4K TV and a premium version of a console are more inclined to care about having a UHD player, which is why I predicted Sony might update Pro to include a drive. And note, you feel you're right, but didn't take my bet!
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One The Leader in 4K Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    As we have seen on XBL and PSN, they can and do remove titles for download when rights expire and the game is gone forever unless you have saved a copy.
    On XBL (not sure about PSN) you can always download the game you purchased, even if it's removed from the store.

The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

Quote Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
    On XBL (not sure about PSN) you can always download the game you purchased, even if it's removed from the store.
    I haven't been able to re-download Double Dragon ever since they removed it years ago (even though I paid for it). Every time I try, I receive an error message. I had contact support and they said it was due to it being removed from the store and the file was no longer available.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

I haven't been able to re-download Double Dragon ever since they removed it years ago (even though I paid for it). Every time I try, I receive an error message. I had contact support and they said it was due to it being removed from the store and the file was no longer available.
    Interesting.. shouldn't work that way, hopefully that was the exception. I know I've downloaded games that have been delisted.

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

A shorter lifespan or a niche product is different than a "DOA" product.!
    That is the textbook definition of Dead on Arrival.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

And that's perfectly fine view to have. I don't blame you.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Although, I'm also not convinced that my digital titles will work in the future once they shut the server down that supplies the title. As we have seen on XBL and PSN, they can and do remove titles for download when rights expire and the game is gone forever unless you have saved a copy.
    Steam still keeps access to the titles. I was able to acquire CD Keys to delisted games and activate them. Prey being the most recent.

My experience with digital on consoles is limited to Nintendo and Sony at this point in time. The last time I was digital with MS was 360. With PSN, I lost access to P.T.. Granted, I still have the damn file...but once deleted.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Shoeless is online now HDD Contributor

Interesting.. shouldn't work that way, hopefully that was the exception. I know I've downloaded games that have been delisted.
    I guess they take it on a case by case basis. On PSN, the only "game" I know of that's been de-listed and made unavailable for even original owners to re-download is that PT demo that was supposed to kick of a new Silent Hill. There are work arounds for people that did download it to transfer it over to a new console if they want, but the PSN won't let you redownload it from the store itself, Konami is basically pretending it no longer exists post-Kojima resignation.

RM
    RM is online now Member

So if the XO and PS4 don't have a 10 year life cycle like the 360 and PS3 did, they were DOA? If they only manage to sell a combined 150 million units during their life cycle, while many billions of smart phones are sold, they are a "niche product" and therefore DOA?

Neither of those statements would make any sense.

Vinyl records are a a niche product, and yet they still sell just fine. Taking another of your recent examples -
    board games are also a niche product. Would you say a new board game coming out is DOA because most people play games on their phones?
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Nope........

dead on arrival
    phrase

1. used to describe a person who is declared dead immediately upon arrival at a hospital.
    (of an idea, etc.) declared ineffective without ever having been put into effect.

michealo is offline Watcher of stances

Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    Where do you resell your games?
    generally amazon marketplace or directly to amazon if the price difference is nominal
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo

Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    So if the XO and PS4 don't have a 10 year life cycle like the 360 and PS3 did, they were DOA?
    No.

If they don't have a 10 year lifespan and don't have the sales. Obviously, 360 and PS3 sold.

Trying to compare that to a niche of a niche of a niche, isn't exactly the right way to go about making a point. UHD-BD is a niche of niche. Especially, since the way consumers consume media is changing. A niche product, of a niche product, for a dying way of consumption, to sell a product as a midway through a short transition to streaming. It's literally asking people to buy into a short term product. Yes, it's DOA. UHD-BD has no chance to succeed.

No one would argue that the Atari Jaguar was dead on arrival, or even the Sega Dreamcast. I love my Sega Dreamcast, but a miracle was needed to save it. It was doomed to fail and was more or less sent to die.

HD DVD vs BD. One of those products was DOA. People picked sides, but only one could win.

I'm not saying you can't like the format or whatever. Just know it's a short lived one and won't last long. Actually, most owners are aware of this and merely just want content for their equipment.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast