Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    hdinred is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by michealo View Post
    "full 4K" means "native 4K"?
    expectations should still be in check, especially when comparisons are being made to a GTX1070.
    a $1000 PC can't play all games at 4K60 and FM series historically makes compromises to maintain its framerate.
    Native 4K, + 4K assets, with headroom to spare. But that's true about Forza, it's an optimized engine with obvious compromises (static crowds, lack of dynamic weather, etc.) Still, getting it to 4K with 2 days work is impressive and bodes well for the system.
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One The Leader in 4K Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

Badger3920 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
    $400-$500 is probably more likely.. $400 would be a home run IMO..
    At $400, I'd probably judge it as a "wait for a bit" scenario for anyone that already owns a console in the generation. I would think (and can easily be wrong) that they'll clear through interested buyers at that pricepoint pretty quickly, and that the price would soon drop to down into the $300-$350 range before too long (but maybe I'm kidding myself). If it comes out with some significant wow factor, this all changes a bit.

Personal circumstances all make the calculation different though, of course. If you don't have a gaming PC or like gaming on the PC, and if you don't already have a console, and if you have shiny new 4K TV -- all of those circumstances lean in favor of picking up a Scorpio
    Home Theater: Panasonic PT-ae4000u, 110" Carada Brilliant White Screen, PS4
    Gaming PC: Intel i5 2500k, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
    At $400, I'd probably judge it as a "wait for a bit" scenario for anyone that already owns a console in the generation. I would think (and can easily be wrong) that they'll clear through interested buyers at that pricepoint pretty quickly, and that the price would soon drop to down into the $300-$350 range before too long (but maybe I'm kidding myself). If it comes out with some significant wow factor, this all changes a bit.

Personal circumstances all make the calculation different though, of course. If you don't have a gaming PC or like gaming on the PC, and if you don't already have a console, and if you have shiny new 4K TV -- all of those circumstances lean in favor of picking up a Scorpio
    I'm going to wait for a bit too....until I can pre-order 2 or 3 of them! BOOM!
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

weasl is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    I'm going to wait for a bit too....until I can pre-order 2 or 3 of them! BOOM!
    Confirmed. CD is here to make sure whatever month Scorpio comes that it will be topping the NPD charts
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

Dennis M. is offline Member

Good stuff from Microsoft, at 399 this sounds like a good option. But if it's 499 like Digital Foundry says then it will struggle in my opinion.

RedRedSuit is online now Member

Still unsure why 399 is seen as viable, unless we think MS is back to lose-money-for-a-moral-victory mode again (which, don't get me wrong, I would never discount -- MS has always liked to crush their opponents with their money -- but what would be the point at this late stage?). Pro is a damned good deal for 399, and that's significantly weaker than Scorpio, sand UHD drive, and will have only been out a year. If MS can do Scorpio economically for 399, then Sony can do Pro for 249 and PS4 for, what, 149?
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

RM
    RM is offline Member

Yeah, this thing screams $499.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

hdinred is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    Yeah, this thing screams $499.
    I'm going to predict something lower. Even if it's $459 or an odd number like that to keep a little distance from $500.

This product is more important for Xbox than Pro is for PlayStation. Sony just kind of put out Pro last year as another PS4 option without much fanfare. And their attention was split, like their Taco Bell promotion they've done with new hardware was with PSVR, not Pro.

We've seen Microsoft put a lot of marketing muscle behind things (like Kinect) and it seems to pay off. I imagine they'll almost treat it like a new console launch.
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One The Leader in 4K Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

RedRedSuit is online now Member

They are absolutely going to pretend this is a new console generation. But Xbox One WAS a new console generation, and they weren't willing to take a big loss to lower the price. Doesn't mean they won't this time, of course; back then they were in success mode up to that point unlike now.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

Shoeless is offline HDD Contributor

I think they'll have to take a hit on the price if they want any kind of traction. $500 at this stage in the generation for a console hampered by needing games to be playable on an Xbox One is going to be niche. It would make more sense to price it at $500 if they announce at E3 there will be Scorpio exclusives that won't be limited by Xbox One compatibility requirements, or, at the very least, have content, graphics, and features that won't be available to Xbox One players.

If this new console really is a next generation console, it needs to show next generation games. It can't do that--and be priced at that level--if it's still beholden to the Xbox One. So yeah, I figure even if it costs them, they'll take the hit and try to keep it as close to $400 as they can. $500 is essentially DOA.

Badger3920 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I think they'll have to take a hit on the price if they want any kind of traction. $500 at this stage in the generation for a console hampered by needing games to be playable on an Xbox One is going to be niche. It would make more sense to price it at $500 if they announce at E3 there will be Scorpio exclusives that won't be limited by Xbox One compatibility requirements, or, at the very least, have content, graphics, and features that won't be available to Xbox One players.

If this new console really is a next generation console, it needs to show next generation games. It can't do that--and be priced at that level--if it's still beholden to the Xbox One. So yeah, I figure even if it costs them, they'll take the hit and try to keep it as close to $400 as they can. $500 is essentially DOA.
    I think this is probably right. There's sort of a timing issue here. If they want Scorpio to be sort of exclusive to the (likely small) population of xbots that either will buy a new SKU because they always buy the latest and best SKU, or can't wait to have the xbox that's more powerful than the playstation etc, then around $500 is okay -- and I'd expect it to have a really limited reach. I don't know why MS would waste their time on that to be totally honest, so I suspect they have other intentions for it.

The issue is, this is really late in the generation to be dropping $500 on the newest Xbone SKU, it doesn't make any real sense. So I don't really understand how it fits in to the overall picture of this generation if it releases at that ~$500 pricepoint, even though it's nice hardware.
    Home Theater: Panasonic PT-ae4000u, 110" Carada Brilliant White Screen, PS4
    Gaming PC: Intel i5 2500k, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

It's going to be $399.99.

If it's any higher than that - I will ban myself.

Spoiler:
    Or maybe not.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

RM
    RM is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
    The issue is, this is really late in the generation to be dropping $500 on the newest Xbone SKU, it doesn't make any real sense. So I don't really understand how it fits in to the overall picture of this generation if it releases at that ~$500 pricepoint, even though it's nice hardware.
    It makes perfect sense if we're done with the typical 5-6 year console cycle. If we've now moved to the tablet/phone style regular hardware update cycle, this is perfectly logical.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Boston007 is online now Member

CD would pay $599 for the Scorpio and say it's a BARGAIN

Shoeless is offline HDD Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    It makes perfect sense if we're done with the typical 5-6 year console cycle. If we've now moved to the tablet/phone style regular hardware update cycle, this is perfectly logical.
    That's where things get interesting. We could see a pretty uncomfortable transitional period if Sony decides not to play along and makes their next major hardware announcement a traditional one of a PlayStation 5.

That means that Microsoft will either a) be stuck with a Scorpio machine that is severely hamstrung in terms of performance with having to have even its exclusives like the next Halo or Gears game still be compatible with Xbox One, while the PS5 gets a monstrous performance boost and its first party studios can crank out PS5-centric exclusives without having to worry about whether it can run on a Pro.

Or b) announce that Scorpio will be getting its own exclusives that won't run with an Xbox One, but they still won't look as good as multi-platform games running on the PS5, and won't look as good as PS5 exclusives.

But if Sony plays along and releases a PS4 Pro+, then we just keep seeing these incremental upgrades for the next several years, and, like phones, it becomes a matter of you choosing when you feel like you're lagging behind on tech and finally want to upgrade.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast