hdinred is offline Member

Default Xbox Game Pass: Unlimited Access to 100+ Games - $10/mo

Today, we’re continuing our commitment to give you more options to diversify and expand your library of games with Xbox Game Pass, a new gaming subscription service coming later this spring. Xbox Game Pass gives you unlimited access to over 100 Xbox One and backward compatible Xbox 360 games – all for $9.99 per month.

With great games from top industry publishers such as 2K, 505 Games, BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment, Capcom, Codemasters, Deep Silver, Focus Home Interactive, SEGA, SNK CORPORATION, THQ Nordic GmbH, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Microsoft Studios, there’s something for everyone to enjoy and you will always find something exciting to play across a variety of genres. Some of the fan favorite titles coming to Xbox Game Pass when it launches to the broader Xbox community in late spring include, Halo 5: Guardians, Payday 2, NBA 2K16 and SoulCalibur II.

One of the best things about Xbox Game Pass is that you can discover and download the full titles directly on your Xbox One. That means continuous, full-fidelity gameplay without having to worry about streaming, bandwidth or connectivity issues. In addition, all Xbox One games in the catalog – and related add-ons – will be available to purchase at an exclusive discount for Xbox Game Pass members, so you can make the games you love part of your permanent library to play whenever you want. Every month new games will cycle into the subscription with some cycling out, giving you a constantly updating library of games. Xbox Game Pass is your ticket to endless play. https://majornelson.com/2017/02/28/i...inkId=34965891
    Not really my thing, but an interesting development.. Yea or Nay?
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One – The Leader in 4K Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

michealo is offline Watcher of stances

sega channel comes back!

10$ seems reasonable, i wouldn't pay to play old titles (never saw value in EA/origin vault) but certainly a great deal for those interested in it.
    perhaps this is how Sony salvages PSnow as well since they support external capacity drives.
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo

Shoeless is offline HDD Contributor

Yeah, I tend to agree with you. For now, a full download to the console itself seems more viable than streaming.

Favelle is offline Member

So to take advantage of this, do you also need an Xbox Live sub?
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies

RedRedSuit is online now Member

It's not my thing. I'd rather buy what I want.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

RM
    RM is offline Member

I'd rather spend $10 a month picking up games on sale. Games aren't consumed the same way TV shows are, so I don't think the "Netflix approach" has the same appeal as video content.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Favelle is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    I'd rather spend $10 a month picking up games on sale. Games aren't consumed the same way TV shows are, so I don't think the "Netflix approach" has the same appeal as video content.
    Netflix is perfect for video content. Its video GAME content that's not working.
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

Quote Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
    It's where everything is going. Outright ownership is dead. The next is ridding physical access. I can hate it...but I'm still going to lose the argument.

It's the same boat as streaming. It's all tied to the same thought. You can tell me that it'll never happen, but it's going to because they want it to. They'll invest until it works. It's not about us, it's about them.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

Badger3920 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
    I think probably nay (I'm not looking for adding gaming subscriptions (I don't even pay for PSN)). A game could always appear on the rental list that makes a month's subscription worth it, but that will probably almost always be the exception.
    Home Theater: Panasonic PT-ae4000u, 110" Carada Brilliant White Screen, PS4
    Gaming PC: Intel i5 2500k, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

RM
    RM is offline Member

It's where everything is going. Outright ownership is dead. The next is ridding physical access. I can hate it...but I'm still going to lose the argument.

It's the same boat as streaming. It's all tied to the same thought. You can tell me that it'll never happen, but it's going to because they want it to. They'll invest until it works. It's not about us, it's about them.
    Bullshit. "They" aren't going to chose to make less money just to have some Orwellian control over us, for no good reason. They will try lots of things and get behind whatever consumers chose to adopt, in proportion to the market adoption. This is capitalism 101.

We as consumers have lots of choice, which is exactly as it should be, and as it will remain. Everything is fine.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    Bullshit.
    Yes they will. It isn't "Orweallian." It's fucking video games. Anything that will remove control from the user and give it back to the publisher/dev is going to be invested in and sold to the consumer. That's been the whole point of consoles and the whole point of digital software. It's packaged as "convenience" but the truth is the power is given to the owner of the content. The next stage is to remove even the installation of files because that transaction is still too much power to the consumer.

Again, it's obvious the rate things are going and how things are being shaped. You can never truly take away something that already exists...but going forward, they can place you into a corner.

It isn't a matter of if, it's when. I don't live in the denial that it's going to happen. I see it. I've been commenting on it for years. I also know I am losing the argument because it continues to happen and people are fine with it.

It just needs to be "good enough."
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

Averry is online now Member

At TwoNun/ RM.

So I think a buffet style business model could work, Netflix is very much a platform. Where it gets WAY hairy with this is Cbox is the plagirm, and this service is dependent on Xbox convincing publishers to get in, which may deteriorate the influence and viability long term.

EA probably wont ever join so long as they have EA access. Other will be resistant. But does a service like this work for Indies and what not? Pay $10 and get access to Game Pass exclusives (that's a way long way off) and all the $15 dollar or less titles might be interesting

But Netflix isn't ALL THE ENTERTAINING as is. It'd be hard to justify Netflix as is if you stripped away all of their originals.

And they started off pretty shitty remember.

hdinred is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Averry View Post
    At TwoNun/ RM.

So I think a buffet style business model could work, Netflix is very much a platform. Where it gets WAY hairy with this is Cbox is the plagirm, and this service is dependent on Xbox convincing publishers to get in, which may deteriorate the influence and viability long term.

EA probably wont ever join so long as they have EA access. Other will be resistant. But does a service like this work for Indies and what not? Pay $10 and get access to Game Pass exclusives (that's a way long way off) and all the $15 dollar or less titles might be interesting

But Netflix isn't ALL THE ENTERTAINING as is. It'd be hard to justify Netflix as is if you stripped away all of their originals.

And they started off pretty shitty remember.
    Yeah, at one time Netflix streaming was mostly garbage.. they've gotten much better.

I think the business model can work.. I think of all the indie titles that come out weekly, most never even appear on my radar, it's good they'll have a second life with a service like this.
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One – The Leader in 4K Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link