Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    Favelle's Avatar
    Favelle is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Victoria, BC - Canada
    Posts
    18,155

    Default Xbone getting Atmos?

    Sorry if this is repeated elsewhere, but that's a cool feature to be getting....could this unit eventually become the defacto UHD player?

    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/mic...-xbox-one.html
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies

  2. #2
    Badger3920's Avatar
    Badger3920 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    23,659

    Default

    Xbone have it teh broken speakers??

  3. #3
    michealo's Avatar
    michealo is offline Watcher of stances
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    27,381

    Default

    it just plays games!
    regardless, i downgraded to a soundbar with my new TV/stand so this doesn't affect me.
    still thinking of picking up an Xbox One instead of a standalone though
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo

  4. #4
    RM's Avatar
    RM
    RM is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    11,859

    Default

    Does anyone care about Atmos? If I were still into home theater stuff, I don't think I could be convinced to care about anything beyond a good 5.1 setup with a bad-ass sub.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

    PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

  5. #5
    twonunpackmule's Avatar
    twonunpackmule is offline Sponsored by Crony
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    2-D Theater
    Posts
    32,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
    Sorry if this is repeated elsewhere, but that's a cool feature to be getting....could this unit eventually become the defacto UHD player?

    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/mic...-xbox-one.html
    I guess, for people with no budget. It's a soon to be dead format. The last hoorah for physical media of films.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

    Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

  6. #6
    Favelle's Avatar
    Favelle is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Victoria, BC - Canada
    Posts
    18,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    I guess, for people with no budget. It's a soon to be dead format. The last hoorah for physical media of films.
    Pretty sure in 10 years I'll still be able to buy a movie on disc.
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies

  7. #7
    Shoeless's Avatar
    Shoeless is offline HDD Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    Does anyone care about Atmos? If I were still into home theater stuff, I don't think I could be convinced to care about anything beyond a good 5.1 setup with a bad-ass sub.
    I was a never a huge audiophile, so my level of satisfaction pretty much tapped out at a 5.1 set up. What does Atmos bring to the table anyway?

  8. #8
    twonunpackmule's Avatar
    twonunpackmule is offline Sponsored by Crony
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    2-D Theater
    Posts
    32,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
    Pretty sure in 10 years I'll still be able to buy a movie on disc.
    On eBay.

    -----
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

    Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

  9. #9
    RM's Avatar
    RM
    RM is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    11,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I was a never a huge audiophile, so my level of satisfaction pretty much tapped out at a 5.1 set up. What does Atmos bring to the table anyway?
    Dolby Atmos speaker layouts parallel the 5.1 and 7.1 setups for surround sound. A 5.1.2 or 7.1.2 system uses two ceiling speakers, or two Dolby Atmos enabled speakers or modules. A 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 system uses four ceiling speakers, or four Dolby Atmos enabled speakers or modules.
    Dolby Atmos Speaker Setup
    PS4 - Because Cronie

    PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

  10. #10
    Shoeless's Avatar
    Shoeless is offline HDD Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    Okay, so basically for the hardest of the hardcore audiophile, or for people that don't care especially, but have the discretionary income to have an elaborate home theater set up if they feel like it. I can see how that would be fun. But yeah, I'm not obsessed with audio enough to feel the need to upgrade. 5.1 is fine for me.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portland,Maine
    Posts
    22,926

    Default

    I use Atmos in my living room and it's cool....but I wouldn't suggest running out and getting an Atmos set up unless you were upgrading your audio in general. There aren't a whole lot of actual sources that use it. My receiver does separate regular 5.1 audio into the upward firing channels for sources that contain the true Atmos tracks though and in some cases it sounds great even though it's "fake" Atmos sort of like how Dolby ProLogic works.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

    I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

  12. #12
    Krawk's Avatar
    Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    11,100

    Default

    I plan on (someday) adding 2 overheads to my 7 speaker setup so yes, some of us care about Atmos.

    Regarding if this is old news .... YES.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portland,Maine
    Posts
    22,926

    Default

    I seem to recall some people on here talking shit about the Xbox One S as a UHD player because it didn't feature Atmos. Now suddenly Atmos isn't a big deal. Weird how that changes.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

    I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

  14. #14
    Boston007's Avatar
    Boston007 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,200

    Default

    I would LOVE to go Atmos but it's a very niche market. I love my 5.1 setup now but I totally see the market moving towards soundbar with or without a sub. It's the same with streaming vs physical.

    The Joe Consumer has been pushing for streaming movies for awhile, and I see this also playing out with audio in that speakers will be downsizing to soundbar setups. Most people want simple, less wires, etc.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portland,Maine
    Posts
    22,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    I would LOVE to go Atmos but it's a very niche market. I love my 5.1 setup now but I totally see the market moving towards soundbar with or without a sub. It's the same with streaming vs physical.

    The Joe Consumer has been pushing for streaming movies for awhile, and I see this also playing out with audio in that speakers will be downsizing to soundbar setups. Most people want simple, less wires, etc.
    I agree that it is niche. As you say, even 5.1 systems are becoming more niche as people move to the simplicity of sound bars. I lost my father to a soundbar last year.....but I still cling to my full audio system in my own house!
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

    I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

//
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.1 PL1