Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Boston007 is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    I agree that it is niche. As you say, even 5.1 systems are becoming more niche as people move to the simplicity of sound bars. I lost my father to a soundbar last year.....but I still cling to my full audio system in my own house!
    Yup

Yah I still have my 5.1 but I HAVE been tempted to streamline and go soundbar + sub.

Plus, aren't many soundbars now equipped to handle 5.1 streams?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    Yup

Yah I still have my 5.1 but I HAVE been tempted to streamline and go soundbar + sub.

Yeah, most soundbars handle and decode the 5.1 stream either via optical or HDMI.

Most of the higher end soundbars are pretty good and even the mid range items aren't bad. It's simulated surround sound though which for the average person is just fine.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

Shoeless is offline HDD Contributor

I'm actually surprised to be hearing this. I haven't paid much attention at all to the audio side of TVs and gaming, so I didn't know that sound bars were growing in popularity.

I did get a sound bar for our bedroom TV a few years ago, because the sound on modern flatscreens is pretty crap, and, because it was in the bedroom, I didn't care enough about the audio to need it to be a 5.1 set up for late night TV viewing. I'm just really surprised to see that this has caught on in general. So people in living rooms are now okay with soundbars? Is the man cave or home theater pretty much were 5.1/7.1 set ups are relegated to these days?

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I did get a sound bar for our bedroom TV a few years ago, because the sound on modern flatscreens is pretty crap,
    People wonder why someone could spend $1500 for a 65 inch 1080p tv when you can go to Walmart and buy one for less than $600. Well - it starts to become obvious when they buy the cheapie then have to buy a sound bar. Then come the glitches, early failure or even just the inability to show a good picture in some circumstances.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Yeah, most soundbars handle and decode the 5.1 stream either via optical or HDMI.

Most of the higher end soundbars are pretty good and even the mid range items aren't bad. It's simulated surround sound though which for the average person is just fine.
    Exactly. Joe Consumer. The same group that ran HD signal through non-HDMI wires, etc LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I'm actually surprised to be hearing this. I haven't paid much attention at all to the audio side of TVs and gaming, so I didn't know that sound bars were growing in popularity.

I did get a sound bar for our bedroom TV a few years ago, because the sound on modern flatscreens is pretty crap, and, because it was in the bedroom, I didn't care enough about the audio to need it to be a 5.1 set up for late night TV viewing. I'm just really surprised to see that this has caught on in general. So people in living rooms are now okay with soundbars? Is the man cave or home theater pretty much were 5.1/7.1 set ups are relegated to these days?
    Check out the stores and what not. I'm seeing all home advertising now having a soundbar, no more fancy speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    People wonder why someone could spend $1500 for a 65 inch 1080p tv when you can go to Walmart and buy one for less than $600. Well - it starts to become obvious when they buy the cheapie then have to buy a sound bar. Then come the glitches, early failure or even just the inability to show a good picture in some circumstances.
    Joe Consumer - the $600 is ok.

Perfect example is my brother. He's 40. When he was in his 20s he used to get the audio/video magazines. Bought a DVD player that supported 480progressive, bought a nice 5.1 setup(man his subwoofer kicked ass). Then he moved a few times and storaged that shit. He bought a house back in 2008 and didn't even want the 5.1 setup. He opted for a soundbar with I think slave sub, and streams all his movies. He has a blu ray so he can borrow from me

My point is I think the market is moving to streamlining video and audio. The big audio setups seem to be for the niche smaller markets.

Favelle is offline Member

Yup

ANY speaker.....even a single one can handle a 5.1 stream. Its what it does with it that's the key. At best, a soundbar is going to jam the info into a 3.1 delivery. Not ideal, but its what the masses want to keep the living room clean. I didn't set up my home theater to keep it clean. I set it up to avoid going to the fcking theater!
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies

Quote Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
    ANY speaker.....even a single one can handle a 5.1 stream. Its what it does with it that's the key. At best, a soundbar is going to jam the info into a 3.1 delivery. Not ideal, but its what the masses want to keep the living room clean. I didn't set up my home theater to keep it clean. I set it up to avoid going to the fcking theater!
    Yah all understandable. Some of those sound bars are getting very advanced with how they handle the 5.1 signal and the output.

I like going to the theater when a movie has run it's course and it's fairly empty LOL

thejnc is offline Member

Yup

At my last place I had a 7.1 setup. But the I gamed on the main tv in the living room. When we moved and I got my own area for gaming, the room is much smaller. So I opted for a soundbar instead. Works just fine.
    Finished 2017 Games
    Finished 2016 Games
    Finished 2015 Games
    Finished 2014 Games

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Thejnc has essentially perfect grammar around here...

Favelle is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by thejnc View Post
    At my last place I had a 7.1 setup. But the I gamed on the main tv in the living room. When we moved and I got my own area for gaming, the room is much smaller. So I opted for a soundbar instead. Works just fine.
    If you paid $$ for it, I would hope that its works!
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies

thejnc is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
    If you paid $$ for it, I would hope that its works!
    Wa wa waaaa.
    Also do not want to deal with running wires through walls and attic.
    Finished 2017 Games
    Finished 2016 Games
    Finished 2015 Games
    Finished 2014 Games

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Thejnc has essentially perfect grammar around here...

Quote Originally Posted by thejnc View Post
    Wa wa waaaa.
    Also do not want to deal with running wires through walls and attic.
    Yah this big time.

Vidfreek is offline Member

I had a 7.1 setup, Sony tower speakers, smaller JBL surrounds and a Cerwin Vega center. All fairly priced and way under what a lot of people here paid for their setup, upgraded to an Onkyo with Atmos last Christmas and changed my setup to a 5.1.2 setup and its awesome, I own most of the Blurays that use Atmos and when they support it, it sounds fantastic, movies like John Wick which has scenes like thunderstorms and rain that come from the ceiling and the bullets flying around all over the place, it was worth the upgrade and my ceiling speakers are generic ones I got from Amazon for $60 a pop, they sound awesome and everything is more immersive, the receiver does a good job of upconverting all signals into Atmos too, when I get a 4K TV I'll probably just buy up the Xbox One S as my Bluray player, which is what I would have done anyways if that was happening now, but I didnt know that it didnt support bitstream for Atmos support, that kind of sucks since most 4K discs have that.

Glad to hear though that that is getting fixed

As far as soundbars go, my neighbor has one and he got a pretty high end one and it sounds damn good for what it does, everything is crisp and clear coming from it and it has support for surrounds and a sub which he also has but for a center and fronts crammed in one, most people would think it sounds great and I can see why so many are moving in that direction, unless your house has the space or you are willing to wire things, no one wants to waste time doing that anymore, movie watching and game playing is becoming more mainstream every day, streaming has made things super easy for anyone and getting decent sound and playback capabilities is easier than ever.

Us people on the higher end of the market that like our physical discs and top quality are going to be left behind sooner rather than later, I dont want a digital collection of films that I dont really own and dont even get me started again on data caps for the internet, the more things go digital the less we will be able to do unless we pay out the ass to do it because nothing is getting better about an open internet and data limits, its going to get worse, especially if Trump and his new leader of the FCC get their way

RM
    RM is online now Member

Since I don't watch movies anymore and my kids have taken over the living room entirely, my receiver and surround sound system is packed up in my closet. I've got a Klipsch 2.1 system on my desk with a pair of Sony MDR-7506 cans. Honestly, I don't miss the big living room setup at all anymore. When we eventually move and I have more space, I'll set the 5.1 system back up, but just so the kids can get a more enjoyable movie experience. I'll stick with gaming on a monitor at a desk from now on.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    I've got a Klipsch 2.1 system on my desk with a pair of Sony MDR-7506 cans.
    I don't know how well your headphones work, but as you know, I have the same speaker setup on my computer as well. With EAX and various other algorithms in place, the surround effect is quite awesome, but then again, sitting 2 feet away helps.
    Where I watch my movies though there is no substitute for a full setup. A soundbar could never mimic the real thing unless you sit 2-3 feet away. Back to my original comment though about pricing on tv sets - if one bought a decent one to begin with, a soundbar is a complete waste of money.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

RM
    RM is online now Member

If I still watched a lot of movies, I would want a good 5.1 setup with a nice big display. I just got totally burned out and all-but lost interest. I've tried to go back and watch a few of the "best films of the year", and I just have no real appetite for movies anymore.

I watch TV shows with the wife only as a way to hang out with her. If I was single, all I would do with that time is play games.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast