Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 163
  1. #31
    JAC35's Avatar
    JAC35 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    It's already in Samsung TVs. Has been for a while.
    And the TV comes bundled with a PS4 controller?
    Blu-ray Player w/ Harmony Adapter
    Toshiba HD-A32.5
    + Win7 Home Premium HTPC
    Panasonic Plasma TC-P54G10
    Panasonic SA-BX500 Receiver
    SVS 5.1 inc. SVS PB12-NSD Sub

  2. #32
    michealo's Avatar
    michealo is offline Watcher of stances
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    27,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAC35 View Post
    The presser said PS4 games as well.
    Which presser?
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo

  3. #33
    RedRedSuit's Avatar
    RedRedSuit is online now Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    25,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAC35 View Post
    And the TV comes bundled with a PS4 controller?
    I'm actually not sure. I think I've seen those thrown in for free. At any rate its wireless via BT.

    My $80 BD player also supports it just like any other app, albeit only wired DS4.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

  4. #34
    kyzer1978's Avatar
    kyzer1978 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    It's already in Samsung TVs. Has been for a while.
    Wow, I didn't even realize. Very cool.
    PSN and Live Gamertag: kyzer1978

  5. #35
    Favelle's Avatar
    Favelle is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Victoria, BC - Canada
    Posts
    18,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michealo View Post
    PS Now is still only PS3 games and lag, why should people not buy a new PlayStation console?
    Here's a reason:

    PlayStation Plus Price Increase
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies

  6. #36
    michealo's Avatar
    michealo is offline Watcher of stances
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    27,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
    ....sigh
    http://kotaku.com/dark-souls-3-pc-ha...lem-1773660707
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo

  7. #37
    RM's Avatar
    RM
    RM is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    11,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Where are you getting the doom and gloom on lag? I mean I was exactly the same way, but I tried it a year ago, and it worked fine on a hack-and-slash combo game. I get that it still wouldn't be good enough for fighters, but it seemed perfectly fine by FPS standards, especially given that people are used to enduring far higher network ping in peer-to-peer shooters.

    I don't know, maybe I had some isolated good experience. If you have a PS4 you can go do a free trial today if you want. See for yourself if it's workable or not.


    I went with God of War, since that's what you've referenced whenever we've discussed this topic. Once it loaded up the game, it started out fine for the first 20 seconds or so. Then I started getting typical stream buffering issues: downgraded video with artifacting, and slow down. It recovered, but this happened a couple more times during the opening cinematic.

    Downgrading the resolution on a video game is a no go to begin with, but slow down is even worse. When a game slows to a crawl, that can seriously impact the players ability to play the game. What if that happens while I'm in the middle of a boss fight? Should I be penalized for network or server issues? To me, this is on par with the Diablo 3 constant internet connection issue. If it happens on a game locally, that's something specific with that game, and it can be brought up in reviews. If it's the network, this can happen to any game at any time.

    The worst though was when it would flat out hang, and the sound would go to that terrible digital "honking" shit that happens to audio streams. I pulled out my phone and tried to catch this in action. I saw this several times, but only caught it once. Skip to about 40 seconds into this video to see what I mean:



    Once I got control, I spent that first fight tapping buttons and judging the lag. Mashing square in this game isn't really a good measure of the delay, since it's a mashy type of game with constant movement during the combos. It was noticeable, but not too bad. When I stopped mashing square and just stood there moving the left stick back and forth, it really obvious. I would snap the stick in a direction, and it took a good quarter of a second before Kratos reacted on screen. I know God of War isn't a twitch game, but I've played it enough to know it didn't feel right.

    After just a couple more minutes, the buffering issue came back really hard. The entire video ground down to a pixelated mess with half the screen turning gray. The frame rate slowed to one frame a second, and the sound was nothing but that digital honking mentioned above. I tried to get my phone out to catch it, but it recovered by the time I got the video rolling again. Then this happened:



    So there you go - Smashing success!

    I don't doubt that you, a guy who probably has a ballin' connection, living in the biggest internet hub in USA, had a good experience. I'm in a typical Midwestern city with a cheap cable internet connection. It's not great, and it doesn't need to be since I don't download a lot of stuff, or play multiplayer games. If they can't make it work for guys like me, it's not a viable product yet. This is the same thing as the Xbox One constant internet connection. Remember "Why on earth would I live there?"

    And to add insult to injury, I knew this would happen so I snapped a pic of it. Here's the end of the sign up screen where they would normally tell you how to cancel your free trail:

    Spoiler:


    They don't tell you how to cancel the subscription - they tell you how to change your automatic renewal settings. I went here, then had to back out and find the Subscriptions page to cancel the sub. That's shady shit.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

    PC - Fractal Design Define R4, i5 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

  8. #38
    hdinred's Avatar
    hdinred is online now Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    I don't think it's going to work, no matter how hard they push it. I understand exactly how it would benefit the publishers, and that they would love to force it on us. But the tech doesn't work for competitive shooters, which makes it a pipe dream. Wishing won't make it so.

    This tech has been around for years, and there's been little-to-no-progress made on eliminating the lag. Aside from crystal ballin', we've seen no tangible evidence it's going to get better.
    This.

    And as Sony & MS turn to 4K, the bandwidth requirement for modern games only goes up. Seems like streaming tech is falling further behind instead of catching up.
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One The Leader in 4K Entertainment.


    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portland,Maine
    Posts
    22,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post


    I went with God of War, since that's what you've referenced whenever we've discussed this topic. Once it loaded up the game, it started out fine for the first 20 seconds or so. Then I started getting typical stream buffering issues: downgraded video with artifacting, and slow down. It recovered, but this happened a couple more times during the opening cinematic.

    Downgrading the resolution on a video game is a no go to begin with, but slow down is even worse. When a game slows to a crawl, that can seriously impact the players ability to play the game. What if that happens while I'm in the middle of a boss fight? Should I be penalized for network or server issues? To me, this is on par with the Diablo 3 constant internet connection issue. If it happens on a game locally, that's something specific with that game, and it can be brought up in reviews. If it's the network, this can happen to any game at any time.

    The worst though was when it would flat out hang, and the sound would go to that terrible digital "honking" shit that happens to audio streams. I pulled out my phone and tried to catch this in action. I saw this several times, but only caught it once. Skip to about 40 seconds into this video to see what I mean:



    Once I got control, I spent that first fight tapping buttons and judging the lag. Mashing square in this game isn't really a good measure of the delay, since it's a mashy type of game with constant movement during the combos. It was noticeable, but not too bad. When I stopped mashing square and just stood there moving the left stick back and forth, it really obvious. I would snap the stick in a direction, and it took a good quarter of a second before Kratos reacted on screen. I know God of War isn't a twitch game, but I've played it enough to know it didn't feel right.

    After just a couple more minutes, the buffering issue came back really hard. The entire video ground down to a pixelated mess with half the screen turning gray. The frame rate slowed to one frame a second, and the sound was nothing but that digital honking mentioned above. I tried to get my phone out to catch it, but it recovered by the time I got the video rolling again. Then this happened:



    So there you go - Smashing success!

    I don't doubt that you, a guy who probably has a ballin' connection, living in the biggest internet hub in USA, had a good experience. I'm in a typical Midwestern city with a cheap cable internet connection. It's not great, and it doesn't need to be since I don't download a lot of stuff, or play multiplayer games. If they can't make it work for guys like me, it's not a viable product yet. This is the same thing as the Xbox One constant internet connection. Remember "Why on earth would I live there?"

    And to add insult to injury, I knew this would happen so I snapped a pic of it. Here's the end of the sign up screen where they would normally tell you how to cancel your free trail:

    Spoiler:


    They don't tell you how to cancel the subscription - they tell you how to change your automatic renewal settings. I went here, then had to back out and find the Subscriptions page to cancel the sub. That's shady shit.
    Son, you obviously don't know what you are talking about and don't have the special edition whisper quiet PS4 that Cerny sent directly to RRS. His unit also plays PS Now games without buffering or streaming issues of any kind. There is no way a complete Sony tool like RRS would lie about any of this is there? Come on!!!
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

    I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

  10. #40
    cuco33's Avatar
    cuco33 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by weasl View Post
    Sadly Sony is doing well enough that they don't have to go the route of MS.
    Sony/MS companies or the gaming platforms? A bit different when you look at it. PS4 continues to sell well for sure. My guess is PS Now isnt doing well and it can generate big profits so put it on another platform. I wont bite at all. But if they gave me PS exclusives on PC, fuck yeah
    Polished turd is still turd
    ~my PC has me by the webos~
    Driveclub no longer rattling cronies since 2013 because racing games no longer count!

  11. #41
    RedRedSuit's Avatar
    RedRedSuit is online now Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    25,184

    Default

    Well, I stand corrected. I mean, I still had a good experience (technically... pricing and games still shit), but this data point clearly shows that's far from universal in other parts of the country. I never claimed anything more than what I saw personally which is why I wanted Rm to try it.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

  12. #42
    twonunpackmule's Avatar
    twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    2-D Theater
    Posts
    32,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
    This.

    And as Sony & MS turn to 4K, the bandwidth requirement for modern games only goes up. Seems like streaming tech is falling further behind instead of catching up.
    This is incredibly untrue.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

    Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

  13. #43
    RedRedSuit's Avatar
    RedRedSuit is online now Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    25,184

    Default

    Which part is untrue?

    At least half of it is true; 4K video requires an absurd amount of streaming.

    The other side I don't know. I cannot draw conclusions based on 2 data points. At Akamai they kept track of this stuff, but I haven't been paying attention.

    I mean obviously streaming lag and bandwidth have by far improved over the years; they have have to for obvious reasons. But enough for 4K? No idea.

    It's not like PS Now performance is just dependent on some huge Internet backbone project. If Sony puts or rents some servers near Rm, his experience will be just as good as mine was. It's a solved problem, which people don't seem to realize.

    What's not solved, I suspect, is turning it into a viable business where the expense justifies the revenue.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

  14. #44
    twonunpackmule's Avatar
    twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    2-D Theater
    Posts
    32,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Well, I stand corrected. I mean, I still had a good experience (technically... pricing and games still shit), but this data point clearly shows that's far from universal in other parts of the country. I never claimed anything more than what I saw personally which is why I wanted Rm to try it.
    RM is in the same boat as my adventures in Alaska. Which, I've stated PS Now is not an option for me. However, I've said that this is their end game. So, PS Now being a service of limited use now is a non-issue. It's a curiosity and a slow roll out. Time and development will solve the issues. Whether that's local network upgrades, server upgrades, and overall increases in infrastructure. These things are not finalized and are constantly being upgraded. That's why I find it false to think the tech is forever stuck in this state. That's silly.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

    Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

  15. #45
    twonunpackmule's Avatar
    twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    2-D Theater
    Posts
    32,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Which part is untrue?

    At least half of it is true; 4K video requires an absurd amount of streaming.

    The other side I don't know. I cannot draw conclusions based on 2 data points. At Akamai they kept track of this stuff, but I haven't been paying attention.

    I mean obviously streaming lag and bandwidth have by far improved over the years; they have have to for obvious reasons. But enough for 4K? No idea.

    It's not like PS Now performance is just dependent on some huge Internet backbone project. If Sony puts or rents some servers near Rm, his experience will be just as good as mine was. It's a solved problem, which people don't seem to realize.

    What's not solved, I suspect, is turning it into a viable business where the expense justifies the revenue.


    Quote Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
    This.

    And as Sony & MS turn to 4K, the bandwidth requirement for modern games only goes up. Seems like streaming tech is falling further behind instead of catching up.
    That part.

    One, we aren't even at the point of 4K gaming, regardless of what HD thinks the Scorpio is going to do.

    Two, bandwith increases and gets cheaper every day.

    Three, they don't need to stream 4k games.

    The problem with the majority of discussions on this board is in immediate satisfaction. Nobody seems to talk the long game, and instead, focus on things that need to perform within a set year. It gets kinda tedious and close minded. It's not forward thinking and taking into account changes that occur. I'm not asking for "imagine the possibilities" but merely an eye towards trends and where things are heading.

    I mean, when Steam launched, nobody could see that it would be what it is today. At most, it was a forced Gamespy client that controlled content installed on your system. For it to be the forefront of receiving content on the PC, to handling mod roll outs, and online gaming...well, that's not something anyone thought that crappy forced DRM Client would be. Not when playing 1.6 and hating it.

    I don't think that streaming tech is a far fetched concept. It isn't flying cars. It's an obtainable, realistic prospect and there's plenty of proof on its viability and applications. It's not an If scenario, but a When.
    Last edited by twonunpackmule; 08-24-2016 at 01:01 PM.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

    Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.1 PL1