Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Backwards Compatibility? Nintendo has a system for that.

The NES Mini classic.

Comes with 30 games installed and HDMI out.

Not a bad product if someone is able to modify it to run more than the installed 30 games through the USB.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/14/ni...classic-games/

When you’re on a roll, why not make crowd-pleasing decisions. Nintendo, which has seen its market cap soar thanks to the Pokemon Go phenomenon, just announced that it will relaunch its iconic NES console.

The NES Classic Edition will go on sale from November 11 priced at $59.99. There is a notable change however, the NES will come with 30 games pre-installed, including classics like Super Mario Bros 1, 2 and 3, The Legend Of Zelda, Punch Out, Final Fantasy, Donkey Kong, Bubble Bobble and more. It’ll also be a little smaller than the original model — Nintendo described it as a “mini replica” — and there will be an HDMI cable to keep with the times.

One important caveat: this looks like a U.S. launch only at this point, but we haven’t confirmed that just yet.

If you’re an old school Nintendo fan (like me!), or know of one, then this might just be the perfect Christmas present… assuming of course that you can stand to wait six weeks to get your hands on it. For first time Nintendo fans or later bloomers, there is also likely appeal here too — particularly since you can pick up a second control pad for two player sessions for $9.99, Nintendo said. That NES Classic pad can also be used with a Wii U and Wii.
    “We wanted to give fans of all ages the opportunity to revisit Nintendo’s original system and rediscover why they fell in love with Nintendo in the first place,” Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime said in a statement.

“The Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition is ideal for anyone who remembers playing the NES, or who wants to pass on those nostalgic memories to the next generation of gamers,” he added.

Yes, it is indeed.

This year is certainly looking like a time of positive change for Nintendo after years of resting on its laurels. The company has finally released its first mobile games (with more to come), Pokemon Go has become a smash hit, its next-generation NX is coming soon and now the NES is making a comeback.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

Nintendo's press release with list of 30 games.

Super C instead of Contra though? WTF.
    Double Dragon 2 instead of the original?!

REDMOND, Wash., July 14, 2016 – If you see a Nintendo Entertainment System on store shelves this holiday shopping season, you haven’t entered a time machine. (Unless everyone around you is wearing acid-washed jeans and neon leg warmers. If that’s the case, you may have unknowingly walked through a rift in the space-time continuum.) The most likely scenario is you are setting eyes on the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition, launching in stores on Nov. 11 at a suggested retail price of $59.99. That’s right: The NES is back! But this isn’t the same NES that you fondly remember. This new nostalgia-fueled system is a near-identical, mini replica of Nintendo’s original home console and plugs directly into your high-definition TV using an included HDMI cable. The console comes complete with 30 NES games built in, including beloved classics like Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, PAC-MAN, and Kirby’s Adventure.

“We wanted to give fans of all ages the opportunity to revisit Nintendo’s original system and rediscover why they fell in love with Nintendo in the first place,” said Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime. “The Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition is ideal for anyone who remembers playing the NES, or who wants to pass on those nostalgic memories to the next generation of gamers.”

The system comes packaged with an HDMI cable, an AC adapter and one NES Classic Controller, which is patterned after the iconic design of the original NES controller. But you really just want to know the full list of 30 games, right? Feast your eyes on the fantastic collection of NES classics included with each and every system:

Balloon Fight™
    BUBBLE BOBBLE
    Castlevania™
    Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™
    Donkey Kong™
    Donkey Kong Jr. ™
    DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
    Dr. Mario™
    Excitebike™
    FINAL FANTASY®
    Galaga™
    GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®
    GRADIUS™
    Ice Climber™
    Kid Icarus™
    Kirby’s Adventure™
    Mario Bros. ™
    MEGA MAN® 2
    Metroid™
    NINJA GAIDEN
    PAC-MAN™
    Punch-Out!! ™ Featuring Mr. Dream
    StarTropics™
    SUPER C™
    Super Mario Bros.™
    Super Mario Bros. ™ 2
    Super Mario Bros. ™ 3
    TECMO BOWL
    The Legend of Zelda™
    Zelda II: The Adventure of Link™

There’s a little something for everyone: a nice mix of timeless favorites, cult classics and maybe even some games that you never got around to playing. Each is sure to bring back memories and produce plenty of new ones. You can even enjoy playing several of these games with two players by attaching a second NES Classic Controller, which will be sold separately at a suggested retail price of $9.99. A Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro can also be used (each sold separately).

When connected to a Wii Remote controller, the NES Classic Controller can also be used to play Virtual Console NES games on a Wii U or Wii system. Playing these retro games using a retro controller makes the experience that much more authentic. And if you ever need to step away from the NES Classic Edition in the middle of a tough level (or take a break to call one of Nintendo’s helpful Game Counselors*), don’t worry about losing any hard-earned progress. Each game has multiple suspend points, so you can start where you left off at a later time, no passwords needed.

What’s old is new again with the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition. Relive past glories. Finish off that boss you never beat. Save the galaxy and rescue the princess!

*Please only call if you have indeed entered a time machine. The Game Counselor program no longer exists in 2016.

I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

hdinred is offline Member

Doesn't support every game? Completely worthless.
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One – The Leader in 4K Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

cuco33 is offline Member

Pretty cool but a Raspberry Pi setup would be better
    Polished turd is still turd
    ~my PC has me by the webos~
    Driveclub no longer rattling cronies since 2013 because racing games no longer count!
    #makesmackdowngreatagain

Quote Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
    Doesn't support every game? Completely worthless.
    I agree which is why I hope someone figures out (using the USB inputs I'm sure) how to load other games onto it. I think it would be pretty cool for beginners who don't have a raspberry pi or other system to play these games on.

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    I agree which is why I hope someone figures out (using the USB inputs I'm sure) how to load other games onto it. I think it would be pretty cool for beginners who don't have a raspberry pi or other system to play these games on.
    I was ripping on RRS ... $60 is a bit much, but similar efforts like the genesis didn't have HDMI out.. I'm down day one.. would like SNES next!

The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

I like it, but it would be nice if it took the actual carts like the Genesis ones.

I was ripping on RRS ... $60 is a bit much, but similar efforts like the genesis didn't have HDMI out.. I'm down day one.. would like SNES next!
    Damn son, I got burned!

I would probably be down day 1 as well and hope for the ability to add more games through a hack or something.

Quote Originally Posted by themisfit138 View Post
    I like it, but it would be nice if it took the actual carts like the Genesis ones.
    I imagine they don't want to deal with customer issues with 30 year old cartridges and cost to implement.

RedRedSuit is online now Member

I agree
    LOL @ guy who told me I was completely wrong on this very thing a couple of days ago.

---

Anyway, no, not "completely worthless" -- at least it's (presumably) 100% accurate, which is much more than one can say about Xbox One BC.

But yeah, it's pretty worthless, especially with easily available 1-to-1 emulators + even cheaper Raspberry Pi around. Though not sure how controllers work for that. Plus there's virtual console, etc.

Cool as a novelty, I guess.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    LOL @ guy who told me I was completely wrong on this very thing a couple of days ago.

---

Anyway, no, not "completely worthless" -- at least it's (presumably) 100% accurate, which is much more than one can say about Xbox One BC.

But yeah, it's pretty worthless, especially with easily available 1-to-1 emulators + even cheaper Raspberry Pi around. Though not sure how controllers work for that. Plus there's virtual console, etc.

Cool as a novelty, I guess.
    There is a difference (which I'm sure you know) between having to spend additional money to obtain this vs having the feature added to your console that you already own.

If you have to spend money for a new device to obtain the games, then yes, it should reasonably have most if not all of the games. (Or at least potentially leave open the ability to add games through official or non-official means.
    If it's added as an additional service, then there is no expectation that it should have everything since it's "free" and no money is being required on my behalf to obtain this service.
    At least...I hope you realize this. I'm beginning to question your sanity sometimes.

There is a difference (which I'm sure you know) between having to spend additional money to obtain this vs having the feature added to your console that you already own.

If you have to spend money for a new device to obtain the games, then yes, it should reasonably have most if not all of the games. (Or at least potentially leave open the ability to add games through official or non-official means.
    If it's added as an additional service, then there is no expectation that it should have everything since it's "free" and no money is being required on my behalf to obtain this service.
    At least...I hope you realize this. I'm beginning to question your sanity sometimes.
    I know... it was just an easy cheap shot.

But hey... got u 2 resp0nd srsly!!!!
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver

If Nintendo can make the games rental only, add input lag and grain through streaming, then add a Sony logo, we'd have something worth praising!

If Nintendo can make the games rental only, add input lag and grain through streaming, then add a Sony logo, we'd have something worth praising!
    Well, this is an ever cheaper shot, as I've never praised PS Now as a product and specifically said no way I'm paying for it.

But, it did work well on a technical level and would be cool if priced appropriately.

Retry, troll.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    I know... it was just an easy cheap shot.

But hey... got u 2 resp0nd srsly!!!!
    I'm off my game today....
    All that pokemon black dlc.....

michealo is offline Watcher of stances

Nintendo copying Atari and Sega?
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast