View Poll Results: Will Sony change their NEO/PS4K plans because of Scorpio?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, as is with the rumored specs.

7 58.33%
  • Yes, they’ll tinker to bring it closer to the 5.5 TF RX480.

4 33.33%
  • Yes, they’ll scrap NEO altogether and go big!

1 8.33%
Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    hdinred is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
    Personally I don't think either one of them should be bringing out a new console yet.

But Sony are in the dominant position. They don't need an upgrade as urgently as Microsoft do. And since Microsoft have shown their hand already why wouldn't Sony just take some more time and match them for spec?
    That might be the best option.

Let's be honest, MS cornered Sony on this. XB1 having 4KBD standard and Scorpio looming at 6T has pretty much taken the wind out of the sails for NEO (as we know it). If NEO launches as-is, there will be a cheaper 4KBD system out already and a more powerful true 4K gaming machine on the horizon. I'm sure PS4 games will look/run great on NEO, but it might have a hard time carving out an identity.

Also, if it's as easy as you guys seem to think, changing specs, shipping in fall, after dev kits are out, etc.. why couldn't Scorpio get its own bump before launch, in response to NEO? When does it end?
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One – The Leader in 4K Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

twonunpackmule is offline Sponsored by Crony

Quote Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
    If NEO launches as-is, there will be a cheaper 4KBD system out already and a more powerful true 4K gaming machine on the horizon.
    Well, it's nice to know you're not keeping your expectations in check. My heart weeps for you.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

hdinred is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Well, it's nice to know you're not keeping your expectations in check.
    What fun would that be?
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One – The Leader in 4K Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

DaveS1138 is online now Member

Scorpio looming at 6T has pretty much taken the wind out of the sails for NEO
    Not as badly as it's taken the wind out of the sails of the One S. Poor thing was made obsolete before it had even launched.
    PSN : DaveS1138
    The Definitive (tm) GT5 vs Forza 3 bet
    Vanquished I retreat from the field.....the victory is miDnIghtEr's
    Forza - Finally able to race at night and in the wet...just like GT3 did.....in 2001.....on the PS2

What fun would that be?
    So, you enjoy the possible disappointment? I mean, look, I respect Xbox's new stance. I really do. If I honestly cared about consoles at this point - the whole upgrade thing before content has a chance to make the hardware stale is worrisome to me - that I would seriously be eying it. Especially if MS were to adopt a PC centric VR solution. It would be that experience can move and not be confined to one platform. Sort of like the opposite to PSVR. Which, Sony is not very forthcoming with how performance is going to be out the gate with their current hardware. I worry they are sidestepping the issue that it might need the new console to operate ideally, and that infuriates me to no end.

Like, I don't trust for a second any of the footage shown at E3 was shown on current PS4 hardware. I don't.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

RedRedSuit is offline Member

I do think MS "cornered" Sony on this... but I highly doubt it's a strategic cornering. Definitely a tactical one that I am sure will improve the Xbox position, but long term PlayStation remains the stronger brand, especially worldwide, and tactically speaking can play the hardware leapfrog game just as well.

Granted, they can always mess up and give the game away as MS did and Sony did in 2006... but as long as they remain pragmatic they'll be fine.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

weasl is offline Member

Like, I don't trust for a second any of the footage shown at E3 was shown on current PS4 hardware. I don't.
    Why? Have you seen Uncharted 4 in action? It doesn't look any worse than what we saw.
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

weasl is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    I do think MS "cornered" Sony on this... but I highly doubt it's a strategic cornering. Definitely a tactical one that I am sure will improve the Xbox position, but long term PlayStation remains the stronger brand, especially worldwide, and tactically speaking can play the hardware leapfrog game just as well.

Granted, they can always mess up and give the game away as MS did and Sony did in 2006... but as long as they remain pragmatic they'll be fine.
    I'd say less cornered and more that they threw down the gauntlet. It's a long ways off and we saw nothing real about it then some numbers floated out. Now if Sony had announced the Neo at lower specs, yes they'd have been cornered.
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

Quote Originally Posted by weasl View Post
    I'd say less cornered and more that they threw down the gauntlet. It's a long ways off and we saw nothing real about it then some numbers floated out. Now if Sony had announced the Neo at lower specs, yes they'd have been cornered.
    You'll have to accept there's a near certainty the leaked specs are essentially "it." So yes, cornered. Doesn't matter if it's announced now or in a few months.

The only real unknowns are launch date and price. And those had better be this year and $400, respectively, or it's a non-factor.
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver

Quote Originally Posted by weasl View Post
    Why? Have you seen Uncharted 4 in action? It doesn't look any worse than what we saw.
    Well, you're under the impression that I'm impressed with Uncharted's frame rate. GoW looks better than UC4 and looks to run a bit better too. Some of the animations are iffy...but it looks like in motion, it'll be a better experience than UC4. UC4 had hitches. Nobody talks about them much, but it wasn't a "locked" 30fps.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Uncharted 4 has some really huge, gigantic, areas that look stunning with very few frame problems, with intense action going on. GoW showed nothing matching that... but I have high expectations that it will. Again, III is a 2010 game that still looks better than all other games in that generation and many in this one. SSM is the only dev that can stand up to ND in terms of visuals.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Uncharted 4 has some really huge, gigantic, areas that look stunning with very few frame problems, with intense action going on. GoW showed nothing matching that... but I have high expectations that it will. Again, III is a 2010 game that still looks better than all other games in that generation and many in this one. SSM is the only dev that can stand up to ND in terms of visuals.
    30fps for a shooter is a problem. It's hard after playing something so smooth as Doom, then playing UC4 at 30fps. It's an issue. I don't have the same issues in MP as I do with its' SP.

GoW has a history of being massive. So, the assumption that a simple scene with a higher frame rate, could only spell good news for other scenes. I mean, GoW 3 had a shuffling frame rate of 30-60fps. Then, the PS4 remaster just locked that sucker at 60fps.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

aaronwt is offline Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
    Not as badly as it's taken the wind out of the sails of the One S. Poor thing was made obsolete before it had even launched.
    hardly. The vast majority of console gamers will not need anything like the Scorpio. Heck the vast majoirty of gamers don't even have a UHD TV.
    = 626(63.2%)
    = 365 (36.8%)
    Last : UHD-Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
    Last : P2: A New Level Of Terror
    Media Players: Sony UBP-X800, Roku Ultra, FMP-X10, VTEN, FireTV 4k, TiVo Bolt x2
    Gaming Systems: XBOne S x2, PS4 pro
    53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a

Boston007 is offline Member

30fps for a shooter is a problem. It's hard after playing something so smooth as Doom, then playing UC4 at 30fps. It's an issue. I don't have the same issues in MP as I do with its' SP.

GoW has a history of being massive. So, the assumption that a simple scene with a higher frame rate, could only spell good news for other scenes. I mean, GoW 3 had a shuffling frame rate of 30-60fps. Then, the PS4 remaster just locked that sucker at 60fps.
    I'm pissed, Amazon had it for $14.99 today then the price went back up. GoW3 on the PS3 blew me away when I first saw it. I agree with Red, best looking game from last gen IMO.

Boston007 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
    hardly. The vast majority of console gamers will not need anything like the Scorpio. Heck the vast majoirty of gamers don't even have a UHD TV.
    I was thinking about this today. They are moving to 4K gaming/consoles, yet only a small majority have 4K TVs.

Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast