View Poll Results: Will Sony change their NEO/PS4K plans because of Scorpio?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, as is with the rumored specs.

8 61.54%
  • Yes, they’ll tinker to bring it closer to the 5.5 TF RX480.

4 30.77%
  • Yes, they’ll scrap NEO altogether and go big!

1 7.69%
Page 101 of 114 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 1702
    cuco33 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
    Well if you are going to limit it to exclusives that's not what you said in the original post. GT5 sales were still considerably less than half what GTA5 sold on PS3. And I don't think many people would argue against the idea that Naughty Dog is a much more important developer to Sony these days than PD are.

It's a no brainer that Horizon will outsell Forza. Haven't they always. Forza can't even come close to what GT managed to sell on a PSP FFS.

Not sure that GTSport can be claimed to be pushing PSVR. We already know it's not the full game in VR just a "VR Tour" mode which so far has only been shown to be one track where you can only race against one other car. Dirt Rally is a much more impressive PSVR title since you can play the entire game in VR (and btw it has an awesome RallyCross mode.....strongly recommended )
    If looking at all titles, GT5 is 2nd most sold title on the platform. Thats not really changing my point since it launched mid gen unlike GTA5 which was released at the end of the gen, and GT titles generally push the platform or features. Same is happening this gen, it wasn't around at the initial PS4 launch (that honor goes to the title that shall not be mentioned) but GTS is linked to PS4 Pro, 4k and PSVR promotions so I do still see it as being a big part of pushing Sony systems.

GTS was demoed with PSVR and articles as of late noted that it will have a limited psvr mode. I think talk about the limited vr mode can go into vs thread since you were most vocal on past forza titles with weather and autovista being limited on those titles
    Polished turd is still turd
    ~my PC has me by the webos~
    Driveclub no longer rattling cronies since 2013 because racing games no longer count!
    #makesmackdowngreatagain

DaveS1138 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by cuco33 View Post
    If looking at all titles, GT5 is 2nd most sold title on the platform. Thats not really changing my point since it launched mid gen unlike GTA5 which was released at the end of the gen, and GT titles generally push the platform or features. Same is happening this gen, it wasn't around at the initial PS4 launch (that honor goes to the title that shall not be mentioned) but GTS is linked to PS4 Pro, 4k and PSVR promotions so I do still see it as being a big part of pushing Sony systems.
    That's true of any exclusive though. GTSport is no more pushing 4K than Horizon : Zero dawn was when it was being shown off before release. Sony are going to want to talk about the fancy bells and whistles on any new title.

Your argument was that GT was the top franchise from Sonys top developer.....whilst GT and PD are still important to Sony I don't think they are number one any more for the reasons mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by cuco33 View Post
    GTS was demoed with PSVR and articles as of late noted that it will have a limited psvr mode. I think talk about the limited vr mode can go into vs thread since you were most vocal on past forza titles with weather and autovista being limited on those titles
    Only in response to your criticism of previous GT titles for splitting features but then giving Forza a completely free pass when it did the exact same thing.
    Is their new Dynamic weather system on all tracks or do they still have a premium/standard split?

Edit : OK......I had to go look it up. Indeed Dynamic weather will not be available on all tracks.... So you will still have "Premium" tracks that have all the features and "standard" tracks that will not..... but...but...but...only PD have ever done that right?

*Then Dave remembers that PD have removed Dynamic time and weather completely from GTSport.
    Last edited by DaveS1138; 06-28-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    PSN : DaveS1138
    The Definitive (tm) GT5 vs Forza 3 bet
    Vanquished I retreat from the field.....the victory is miDnIghtEr's
    Forza - Finally able to race at night and in the wet...just like GT3 did.....in 2001.....on the PS2

cuco33 is offline Member

That's true of any exclusive though. GTSport is no more pushing 4K than Horizon : Zero dawn was when it was being shown off before release. Sony are going to want to talk about the fancy bells and whistles on any new title.

Your argument was that GT was the top franchise from Sonys top developer.....whilst GT and PD are still important to Sony I don't think they are number one any more for the reasons mentioned.
    Pretty sure that GT has normally been one of Sony's big tech and platform pushers. Last gen we saw it with 4 ps3s and that very high rez tech demo and even pushing 3D, where this gen its 4k, ps4 pro power and psvr. This isn't just a tech demo at a trade show like Horizon.

We can argue semantics about GT being THE top title to ONE OF THE top titles. ND did great things with Uncharted but I don't recall any of their work being a norm to push Sony tech. PS4 Pro didn't get 60fps patch but it ran U4 better, along with other titles. PD make great looking games, photorealistic at times even, so perfect to show off the latest technology as we have seen through the years. Hell, I haven't seen mention of any GTS demo being done on a vanilla PS4, and recent interviews had kaz preach away about power of the pro And that is the point, on top of we still have not had a GT title of any kind release 4 years into the gen, so I laugh whenever someone even remotely hints at this gen is winding down. Pro launched not long ago, xbx will later this year. I would bet this gen gets stretched out as long as last gen if not longer.

Only in response to your criticism of previous GT titles for splitting features but then giving Forza a completely free pass when it did the exact same thing.
    Is their new Dynamic weather system on all tracks or do they still have a premium/standard split?

Edit : OK......I had to go look it up. Indeed Dynamic weather will not be available on all tracks.... So you will still have "Premium" tracks that have all the features and "standard" tracks that will not..... but...but...but...only PD have ever done that right?

*Then Dave remembers that PD have removed Dynamic time and weather completely from GTSport.
    Let's take that discussion to the vs thread where it belongs
    Driveclub no longer rattling cronies since 2013 because racing games no longer count!
    #makesmackdowngreatagain

hdinred is online now Member

cuco brings up a good point.. it's not just multiplatform games that will shine on XBX.. comparisons between GTS and FM7 are natural.. and should favor Xbox.. graphically, at least..
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One – The Leader in 4K Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

Quote Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
    cuco brings up a good point.. it's not just multiplatform games that will shine on XBX.. comparisons between GTS and FM7 are natural.. and should favor Xbox.. graphically, at least..
    I would think Turn 10 would be more likely to show it off running on a high end PC instead of the lower spec XOneX
    Forza - Finally able to race at night and in the wet...just like GT3 did.....in 2001.....on the PS2

I would think Turn 10 would be more likely to show it off running on a high end PC instead of the lower spec XOneX
    Yikes, that would really make GTS look bad!

The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

RedRedSuit is offline Member

In this age of diminishing returns in graphics technology, a lot of the visual differentiation is down to attention to detail and sheer modeling muscle. So if someone like SSM with Wad of Gore or ND with Uncharted or GG with Horizon shows off one of their absurdly huge and detailed environment and character facial detail (except Horizon with their horrendous face animations... ugh, takes me out of the game!), no amount of 4K or HDR or soft shadows will make up the difference. So those comparisons are not going to be easy wins for MS.

But, with Forza, maybe. Not that much PD can do there.

Anyway, the graphical wins will mostly occur in the multi platform arena, as there you can do 400% zooms on the same thing, which you can't with exclusives.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

Yikes, that would really make GTS look bad!
    Very probably. Although PD's lighting has tended to be much better than Turn 10's who have seem to prefer a more "Hollywood" feel for Forza over the more realistic "real world" look of GT.
    GT is also using higher detail car models but I doubt that will show much of a difference outside the ingame photomodes.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    In this age of diminishing returns in graphics technology, a lot of the visual differentiation is down to attention to detail and sheer modeling muscle. So if someone like SSM with Wad of Gore or ND with Uncharted or GG with Horizon shows off one of their absurdly huge and detailed environment and character facial detail (except Horizon with their horrendous face animations... ugh, takes me out of the game!), no amount of 4K or HDR or soft shadows will make up the difference. So those comparisons are not going to be easy wins for MS.

Anyway, the graphical wins will mostly occur in the multi platform arena, as there you can do 400% zooms on the same thing, which you can't with exclusives.
    If you're suggesting that good programming and art direction can be as important as powerful hardware, I agree for the most part (with exceptions on both ends).

Nobody cares for 400% zooms that much. PS360 was good for hardware battles, different hardware with different strengths. Performance varied by game. PS4 is basically the same hardware as XB1, just better in key areas. No brainer, games will perform better on PS4, not surprising it dominates sales. XBX has an even bigger gap over Pro. No brainer games, even movies, will play best on XBX. The market should respond accordingly.

cuco33 is offline Member

Very probably. Although PD's lighting has tended to be much better than Turn 10's who have seem to prefer a more "Hollywood" feel for Forza over the more realistic "real world" look of GT.
    GT is also using higher detail car models but I doubt that will show much of a difference outside the ingame photomodes.
    This is way true. PD have their lighting and coloring spot on to my tasting. T10 does a great job with each version of Forza games but they definitely are behind that bar that PD set
    #makesmackdowngreatagain

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

Report: Xbox One X benchmarks detail 4K capabilities
    Some games hit 4K with extra GPU overhead, others struggle with higher resolution.

When we got our first hands-on (and eyes-on) experience with the Xbox One X at E3 last month, we weren't exactly in awe of the improved resolutions and graphical effects on display. Now, though, we're starting to see initial reports of just how "the most powerful console ever" improves raw performance on games originally designed for the base Xbox One system.

In an extensive report, Digital Foundry cites development sources briefed by Microsoft earlier in the year as the site outlines performance information for nine titles running on Xbox One and as simple ports to take advantage of the Xbox One X. While Digital Foundry wasn't able to confirm which specific titles were being discussed, data on the genre, engine, and resolution targets allows for some educated guesses regarding the nature of these titles.

The site stresses that these are rudimentary, unoptimized ports that don't make use of any new hardware effects on the Xbox One X, nor do these ports account for changes like the move from a fast ESRAM cache to slower GDDR5. As such, the numbers under discussion here "may be underestimating the real life result on Xbox One X," as Digital Foundry's Richard Leadbetter puts it.

Advertisement

How well these basic ports are able to run at full 4K resolution on the Xbox One X seems to depend largely on the resolution they can already achieve on the base hardware. Two games that run at 1080p on the Xbox One, for instance, actually use less GPU time to run the same content at the same frame rate and at a native 4K resolution on the Xbox One X. That extra GPU overhead can be used for visual upgrades that go beyond extra pixels, like more impressive lighting effects or detailed models

Games that run at 900p or 720p on the Xbox One, on the other hand, seem to have more trouble reaching the "full 4K" standard Microsoft is hyping for the Xbox One X. One title went from a 720p, 60 fps performance on the base hardware to a 4K, 38 fps performance when trying to force peak resolution on a basic Xbox One X port. For games like this, techniques like checkerboarding and dynamic scaling might be needed to maintain framerates at higher resolutions even with the Xbox One X's additional power.

Digital Foundry's report and accompanying video go into a lot more detail on the reported Xbox One X performance, including improvements to Xbox One games that aren't specifically ported to take advantage of the Xbox One X. Microsoft's apparent advice to Xbox One X developers, as relayed by Digital Foundry, provides a good summary of the performance boost: "Expect an easy port to Xbox One X with a baseline 4x resolution boost, start with your high-end PC settings, use the memory well and fill any extra frame-time with additional effects."

Mhttps://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/07/reported-xbox-one-x-benchmarks-show-mixed-native-4k-results/
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

RM
    RM is online now Member

Exactly as expected. The hype was nice, but it's not going to overcome that $100 price difference.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

michealo is offline Watcher of stances

Looks like I won’t have to lower my expectations
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo

Nice to see they're getting better performance than promised.. now let me preorder the thing!

Boston007 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by michealo View Post
    Looks like I won’t have to lower my expectations
    -Michealo
    "Watcher of stances"

LOL