Page 1 of 120 1231151101 ... LastLast
    RedRedSuit is online now Member

Post PS4 vs. Xbox One exclusives to date (comprehensive list, updated every 3 months)

UP TO DATE TO: 7/1/2016.

Much discussion has been had about exclusives and how many more or better ones one platform has. Well, this is a topic that interests me, so here's the answer. I copied this from the other huge thread and updated it with the most recent stuff.

I plan to update it every 3 months, because Metacritic has a convenient page summarizing the last 90 days, so it'll be easy. One thing I will probably NOT do is try to figure out which timed exclusives stop being timed... it's just too painful with all the indies. Though if anyone wants to take on that and correct me, feel free. Anyway, for the purposes of console dick measuring, timed exclusives are still exclusives.

If I messed anything up let me know.

Hopefully this is useful as a list of exclusives as opposed to JUST a dick-measuring thing.

---

Methodology/reasoning:

First of all, an average of exclusive scores is a stupid metric, because it's useless. For example, if Xbox One has 5 exclusives that scored in the 50s and 5 that were 90+, while PS4 has only 3 that were 90+ but no shit-scoring games, then it would make PS4 have a higher average, which is misleading. The only metric that makes any sense is to count the number of games above a certain score. This is the only thing Darkfalz was ever right about. Averages in this context are useless. Just count the number of good games.

Now, here's the answer.

I'm going to split up the data in three categories: retail (or high-priced, such as Elite: Dangerous) releases that are not remasters; retail/high-priced releases INCLUDING remasters; and finally simply all games (so basically add in smaller/downloadable games).

A remaster is any game that is ported from another version that was released earlier, even if the new release is significantly different (e.g., Tearaway Unfolded... really it's a new game from the Vita version, but to be charitable to Xbox One I'll still call it a remaster here).

I'll do 90+, 85+, and 80+ game counts. The numbers are huge under 80 anyway, to the point where who has more doesn't really matter.

This should satisfy any conceivable need for information: whether you care about smaller games or not; remasters or not; and whatever you consider to be your Metacritic score threshold. It's all here.

Note that an exclusive is any game that appears on that system but not on the OTHER system. If it appears on some 3rd system, like PC, then it still counts. This is a perfectly reasonable definition; this is a ****-fight of the 2 systems, not some other discussion. So all the other systems are irrelevant for this comparison.

---

Source:
    http://www.metacritic.com/browse/gam...ered?sort=desc
    http://www.metacritic.com/browse/gam...ered?sort=desc

---

LEGEND:
    # means game was released in Q2 of 2016.
    @ means game was released in Q1 of 2016.
    All other games were released in 2015 or earlier.

ALL games:

PS4

90-100 = 6 games -- PS4 wins by 5 --
    Uncharted 4: A Thief's End #
    The Last Of Us Remastered
    Journey
    Bloodborne
    flower
    Fez
    85-100 = 26 games -- PS4 wins by 17 --
    Bloodborne: The Old Hunters
    The Talos Principle
    TowerFall: Ascension
    Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection
    Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward
    Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
    OlliOlli 2: Welcome To Olliwood
    Resogun: Heroes
    Rocket League
    Resogun: Defenders
    The Witness @
    Day Of The Tentacle Remastered @
    MLB The Show 16 @
    Salt And Sanctuary @
    Crypt Of The NecroDancer @
    Android Assault Cactus @
    Odin Sphere Leifthrasir #
    Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- #
    Valkyria Chronicles Remastered #
    Ratchet & Clank #
    80-100 = 64 games -- PS4 wins by 44 --
    ZEN Pinball 2 (4 games)
    Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-
    Resogun
    Axiom Verge
    Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster
    Trine 2: Complete Story
    Transistor
    MLB 14: The Show
    N++
    Galak-Z: The Dimensional
    Sportsfriends
    Skullgirls: 2nd Encore
    Tearaway Unfolded
    Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance
    PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate
    Nuclear Throne
    Helldivers
    Broken Age
    The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
    God of War III: Remastered
    Pix the Cat
    Injustice: Gods Among Us - Ultimate Edition
    Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence
    Grim Fandango Remastered
    inFamous: Second Son
    Star Wars Pinball: Heroes Within
    Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours
    Gravity Rush Remastered @
    ZEN Pinball 2: Aliens Vs. Pinball #
    Enter the Gungeon #
    Invisible Inc. #
    Downwell #
    Alienation #
    Score Rush Extended #
    Grand Kingdom #

Xbox One
    90-100 = 1 game
    Inside #
    85-100 = 9 games
    Ori and the Blind Forest
    Forza Motorsport 6
    TitanFall
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Forza Horizon 2
    Halo: The Master Chief Collection
    Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition @
    Killer Instinct Season 3 #
    80-100 = 20 games
    Halo 5: Guardians
    Rare Replay
    Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
    Castle Crashers Remastered
    Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
    Forza Horizon 2: Storm Island
    Kalimba
    Sunset Overdrive
    Elite: Dangerous
    SMITE
    Superhot #

All retail/high-priced games (remasters INCLUDED -- downloads/smaller gamers NOT included):

PS4

90-100 = 3 games -- PS4 wins by 3 --
    Bloodborne
    85-100 = 10 games -- PS4 wins by 5 --
    MLB The Show 16 @
    Odin Sphere Leifthrasir #
    Valkyria Chronicles Remastered #
    Ratchet & Clank #
    80-100 = 21 games -- PS4 wins by 11 --
    Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-
    Tearaway Unfolded
    Gravity Rush Remastered @
    Grand Kingdom #

Xbox One
    90-100 = NO games
    85-100 = 5 games
    Forza Motorsport 6
    TitanFall
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Forza Horizon 2
    80-100 = 10 games
    Rare Replay
    Sunset Overdrive

Retail/high-priced games (remasters NOT included; downloads/smaller games NOT included):

PS4

90-100 = 2 games -- PS4 wins by 2 --
    Bloodborne
    85-100 = 6 games -- PS4 wins by 2 --
    MLB The Show 16 @
    Ratchet & Clank #
    80-100 = 12 games -- PS4 wins by 5 --
    Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-
    Grand Kingdom #

Xbox One
    90-100 = NO games
    85-100 = 4 games
    Forza Motorsport 6
    TitanFall
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Forza Horizon 2
    80-100 = 7 games
    Sunset Overdrive

---

Summary: PS4 wins all 9 contests. Formerly Xbox One used to tie or even slightly lead in 1-3 of the 9, mainly in the 85-100 non-remaster/non-indie area, but that's not the case any longer either.

As it stands, as you can see, PS4 completely dominates with smaller/downloadable games; and now has a quite decent advantage at the 90+ high end. Xbox One's formerly much-touted exclusive advantage WAS in the mid-range (85+) retail/high-price spectrum, by literally 1-2 games, but that's no longer true, and the opposite is true.

I'm sure some people will want to dismiss a few lesser known Japanese games in the retail/high-priced list; but even if those were thrown out, there are only a couple, so it doesn't really change much.

As for a personal note... I think the main disappointing thing about PS4's exclusive output is not really how it compares to Xbox One. If you're being objective, they're really both not that great on that count. No, what's disappointing about PS4's exclusives is the low output from Sony's much-touted studios: Sony Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Polyphony Digital. And it's not that they're putting out disappointing games; they're just not really putting out games at all -- they're all either late or not even announced (SSM). However, at least Uncharted 4 is out now.

P.S. I somehow missed 2014 PS4 exclusive Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- in my first two incarnations of this post. So the <=2015 and Q1 2016 totals were slightly off. Damn....
    Last edited by RedRedSuit; 07-03-2016 at 04:23 PM.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

michealo is offline Watcher of stances

Interesting results, hopefully this year shakes things up a bit
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo

Dennis M. is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Retail/high-priced games (remasters NOT included; downloads/smaller games NOT included):

PS4

90+ = 1 game -- PS4 wins by 1 --
    Bloodborne
    85+ = 2 games
    80+ = 6 games

Xbox One
    90+ = NO games
    85+ = 4 games -- Xbox One wins by 2 --
    Forza Motorsport 6
    TitanFall
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Forza Horizon 2
    80+ = 7 games -- Xbox One wins by 1 --
    Sunset Overdrive
    Great post Red.

Concentrating on the retail/AAA and AA list, because reasons, I'd say that for my own personal taste, the Xbox line-up is much better. I would gladly play almost all those games whereas on the PS4 I'd only be interested in Infamous and maybe Bloodborne. And I haven't actually bought either of them.

But this really shows how much exclusives have diminished in terms of relative importance. 13 games in 2+ years between the two of them is nothing.

As for a personal note... I think the main disappointing thing about PS4's exclusive output is not really how it compares to Xbox One. If you're being objective, they're really both not that great on that count. No, what's disappointing about PS4's exclusives is the low output from Sony's much-touted studios: Sony Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Polyphony Digital. And it's not that they're putting out disappointing games; they're just not really putting out games at all -- they're all either late or not even announced (SSM).
    Pretty much.

cuco33 is online now Member

Metacritic still on that pedestal!

But red did say he was eventually going to make this post. Guess his unbiased view didnt like the mantra of #ps4aintgotnogames

I fully agree that the list of exclusives have been seriously lacking this gen but didnt know that high rated ones have only been 13 in over 2 years across both platforms. Thats just sad, and is one of many examples that backs my point how this console generation sucks.

Join the PC yacht club everyone!
    Polished turd is still turd
    ~my PC has me by the webos~
    Driveclub no longer rattling cronies since 2013 because racing games no longer count!
    #makesmackdowngreatagain

Averry is offline Member

Its baffling as to Sony's lack of out put from it's big guns. I mean, from Sony's perspective, it's a failure to capitalize on its huge install base and rake in dough. I don't really think that's going to change in a dramatic way. Getting out Uncharted will be huge, but I don't think it's going to be the start of a big shift.
    PSN: AverryXC
    XBL: AverryXC

27 inch Insignia 720p
    Reclining Chair 14 feet back.

RM
    RM is online now Member

Taking red's original list, I thought it would be interesting to look at what games are remasters, what games are also available on PC, and what games are actual exclusives.

PS4 - 41 games total - 7 remasters - 22 games also on PC - 12 true exclusives

Journey

Bloodborne
    flower
    Fez
    Bloodborne: The Old Hunters
    The Talos Principle
    TowerFall: Ascension

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward
    OlliOlli 2: Welcome To Olliwood

Resogun: Heroes
    Rocket League
    Resogun: Defenders
    Zen Pinball 2 (4 games)
    Resogun

Axiom Verge
    Trine 2: Complete Story
    Transistor

N++
    Galak-Z: The Dimensional
    Sportsfriends

Skullgirls: 2nd Encore
    Tearaway Unfolded

PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate
    Nuclear Throne
    Helldivers
    Broken Age
    The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Pix the Cat
    Grim Fandango Remastered

Star Wars Pinball: Heroes Within
    Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours

Xbox One - 15 games total - 3 remasters - 6 games also on PC - 6 true exclusives

Ori and the Blind Forest
    Forza Motorsport 6
    TitanFall
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Forza Horizon 2
    Rare Replay
    Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
    Castle Crashers Remastered

Forza Horizon 2: Storm Island
    Kalimba
    Sunset Overdrive

Note that Rise of the Tomb Raider is coming to PC on January 28th, so less than 2 weeks from now. Also, Skullgirls 2nd Encore is supposedly coming to the PC as DLC for the base game, but no date on that yet.

No real smackdown intended with this post, but I wanted to demonstrate the point that many of us have brought up: If you own a decent PC, either console is a tough sell because most of these games can be picked up on Steam. The PC versions are often cheaper at launch due to GreenManGaming deals, and many of them run better on the PC as well. If you're looking at true exclusives, there's just not a significant list of heavy hitters on either console.

The next time you hear someone express apathy or disappointment with the PS4/XB1, this probably has something to do with it.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Rm, your list has a few dlcs there so I wouldnt add them as being "true exclusives". Both lists have them. As an example you have Resogun, Resogun Heros and Resogun Defendenders. You also didnt include FM5 nor the FM5 F&F expansion, but did count FH2 Storm Island. Also, isnt ROTR on PC or set to come out on PC?

I think if we all agree to this definitive list of exclusives (metacritic or not) that red should update his initial post (for convinience). I would really like to see this list being solid showing how many high rated exclusives both consoles have.
    Driveclub no longer rattling cronies since 2013 because racing games no longer count!
    #makesmackdowngreatagain

BettiePage is offline Member

tomb raider has always been timed exclusive... when they went and announced it as being MS exclusive they clarified it being for the holidays after folks bitched about it on social media.

RM
    RM is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by cuco33 View Post
    Rm, your list has a few dlcs there so I wouldnt add them as being "true exclusives". Both lists have them. As an example you have Resogun, Resogun Heros and Resogun Defendenders. You also didnt include FM5 nor the FM5 F&F expansion, but did count FH2 Storm Island.
    As I said, I was taking Red's original list and looking at it in a vaccum. If I had been making my point from scratch rather than on the back of his thread, I would have taken the whole library. Obviously that would take a lot more time to sort through though.

By only looking at the 80+ games, we get down to the real meat of the arguments.

Also, isnt ROTR on PC or set to come out on PC?
    I mentioned that in my post. It's on PC in less than two weeks. It certainly has been an exclusive, but 10 weeks is a pretty tiny window of exclusivity...

I think if we all agree to this definitive list of exclusives (metacritic or not) that red should update his initial post (for convinience). I would really like to see this list being solid showing how many high rated exclusives both consoles have.
    Red's cut-off was a Metacritic score of 80. That's why Forza 5 isn't on the list - it got a 79. If you want to make the argument that 75, or even 70 should have been the cut-off, by all means go for it. But I don't think many people would agree that games scoring between 70-79 are "highly rated". With the bulk of review outlets still using the "Six to Nine scale", I think there's good reason to only look at 80 and above.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

OK, I personally think metacritic worship is a crock but if the argument is based on meta 80+ games then by all means go for it. If I had a say I would say 75 and higher, because perfect score is 100 and decent/good game could be a quarter off that mark so 75. But I am not making the rules. This was pitchforked reactions against a single poster, mid, due to AAA and great titles and the whatever score its supposed to be.

Still not sure why dlc are in these lists. I still think PC is the best way to go because the console exclusives are fairly light. The stand out big titles are even less.
    #makesmackdowngreatagain

Correct. Only 80+ are included. I explained why I didn't try to list lower scoring exclusives in the original post. Essentially there are too many of them at that point. But feel free to do it if you want. I'll warn you it's not that easy.

For dick measuring purposes the 80/85/90 categories should be more than enough.
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Averry View Post
    Its baffling as to Sony's lack of out put from it's big guns. I mean, from Sony's perspective, it's a failure to capitalize on its huge install base and rake in dough. I don't really think that's going to change in a dramatic way. Getting out Uncharted will be huge, but I don't think it's going to be the start of a big shift.
    Indeed, I wrote similar in the OP, and Dennis quoted agreement also.

To keep it in perspective, however, if you look at the first party retail games, MS has done only a little better. Yes, they were able to put out Halo a few months earlier than Uncharted, and Forza is regularly releasing unlike GT. And... that's it.

Your comment about a lack of a shift is affected by that point. Also, at least on paper, this year for PS4 looks good and would indeed be a shift. But I know better than to announce this as fact; delays and cancellations are all too frequent.

RM
    RM is online now Member

OK, I personally think metacritic worship is a crock but if the argument is based on meta 80+ games then by all means go for it. If I had a say I would say 75 and higher, because perfect score is 100 and decent/good game could be a quarter off that mark so 75. But I am not making the rules. This was pitchforked reactions against a single poster, mid, due to AAA and great titles and the whatever score its supposed to be.
    I don't think it's "Metacritic worship", as almost no one here really gives a shit about their scores anymore. It's just a universal number that we can all point to and see very clearly.

Still not sure why dlc are in these lists.
    Metacritic splits them out as such, so it does make some sense if you're looking specifically at their scores. It should be obvious we would roll them up in any discussion other than Metacritic numbers though. I doubt you will see any Cronies trying to argue Resogun actually counts as 3 games.

Basically, the Metacritic numbers are a place to start the conversation - not the beginning and end.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

Still not sure why dlc are in these lists. I still think PC is the best way to go because the console exclusives are fairly light. The stand out big titles are even less.
    80+ is a cutoff for a great many people, myself included. mid's cut off is (well, was) 85.

DLC is included for those that care about it. If you don't, there is specifically a section which removes it from considerations.

I know for a fact that downloadable add-ons can be significant. The ones that aren't won't be scored highly anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Correct. Only 80+ are included. I explained why I didn't try to list lower scoring exclusives in the original post. Essentially there are too many of them at that point. But feel free to do it if you want. I'll warn you it's not that easy.

For dick measuring purposes the 80/85/90 categories should be more than enough.
    If 80 is the threshold its probably cleaner to just leave it 80 and above. Dont see value breaking it up 80/85/90 but thats on you.
    #makesmackdowngreatagain

Page 1 of 120 1231151101 ... LastLast