Page 1 of 310 1231151101 ... LastLast
    james is offline Member

Default Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality

Valve, Sony, MS, Oculus, Samsung, Google and a few others all have dogs in this fight. It looks like 2016 will kick this rumble into high gear as more products are launching. I know its been discussed sporadically, but I don't remember seeing a dedicated thread for discussion (if I'm wrong, my apologies, and feel free to merge threads).

Looking at tech demos, I can't help, but get excited when imagining the patchibilities of a more realistic and immersive experience. What are other people's thoughts? Is it just this generation's version of waggle, or is this the future of gaming? Is anybody planning on buying these products? Why or why not?

The idea of HolenLens, which augments the reality around you with holograms, sounds very intriguing. But, I'm more interested in a virtual reality experience which creates a completely new world to explore.

Last edited by james; 12-17-2015 at 04:21 PM.

RM
    RM is online now Member

I've said this many times, but for the record: I think VR will eventually be great at offering "experiences", but as it stands, I'm not seeing how it's going to make existing games better - outside of cockpit games like racers and flight sims. And I don't think just using it as an S3D monitor really fits that bill, though some will disagree. What we've seen of the software custom developed for VR so far seems to be more focused on creating a sense of immersion rather than catering to game-play mechanics.

That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I like the idea of new tech creating something new. I was very much in favor of the iPhone and the iPad ushering in new types of games that focused on the strengths of those platforms (swipe and tap), even if it wasn't my thing. But for anyone saying VR is going to make existing games like Skyrim or Far Cry "better", I'm just not seeing how.

Personally, my hardware dollars will continue to be spent on better video cards and monitors for many years to come. I don't think I'll be satisfied until there is a 21:9, 40", 135+ PPI, IPS, high refresh rate screen (100hz+) with active refresh rate tech (G-Sync, Freesync, etc.) that is reasonably affordable. Monitors that have some of those features are currently over $1200, so it's going to take at least 5 years to get that laundry list in one unit for under $500.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

miDnIghtEr is offline Banned

Waits for weasl to come cry about how this isn't a smack down topic. And why was it post. Let's see. Him gutter who else

james is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
    I've said this many times, but for the record: I think VR will eventually be great at offering "experiences", but as it stands, I'm not seeing how it's going to make existing games better - outside of cockpit games like racers and flight sims. And I don't think just using it as an S3D monitor really fits that bill, though some will disagree. What we've seen of the software custom developed for VR so far seems to be more focused on creating a sense of immersion rather than catering to game-play mechanics.

That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I like the idea of new tech creating something new. I was very much in favor of the iPhone and the iPad ushering in new types of games that focused on the strengths of those platforms (swipe and tap), even if it wasn't my thing. But for anyone saying VR is going to make existing games like Skyrim or Far Cry "better", I'm just not seeing how.

Personally, my hardware dollars will continue to be spent on better video cards and monitors for many years to come. I don't think I'll be satisfied until there is a 21:9, 40", 135+ PPI, IPS, high refresh rate screen (100hz+) with active refresh rate tech (G-Sync, Freesync, etc.) that is reasonably affordable. Monitors that have some of those features are currently over $1200, so it's going to take at least 5 years to get that laundry list in one unit for under $500.
    Agreed, there needs to be a lot of baby steps for these products to become viable mainstream. But, looking at the long term, do you see it staying niche, co-existing equally, or supplanting all together what we traditionally view as the gaming experience?

weasl is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by miDnIghtEr View Post
    Waits for weasl to come cry about how this isn't a smack down topic. And why was it post. Let's see. Him gutter who else
    Huh? Whats with you and randomly picking fights all the time Mid?
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

james is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by miDnIghtEr View Post
    There is definitely Smackdown. I was just very gentle and tender in the delivery. If you need me to be more direct:

HoloLens looks like it sucks when compared to other virtual reality products.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    There is definitely Smackdown. I was just very gentle and tender in the delivery. If you need me to be more direct:

HoloLens looks like it sucks when compared to other virtual reality products.
    There's actually been a couple of talks about it in smackdown.

james is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by weasl View Post
    There's actually been a couple of talks about it in smackdown.
    Are you interested in any of it?

Are you interested in any of it?
    Both of them. I see AR being more practical in a google glasses kind of way, and I see VR being more about immersion in games and virtual tourism.

RM
    RM is online now Member

Agreed, there needs to be a lot of baby steps for these products to become viable mainstream. But, looking at the long term, do you see it staying niche, co-existing equally, or supplanting all together what we traditionally view as the gaming experience?
    I think it will be a lot like iPhone/iPad games - it will be it's own thing that doesn't really need "core" gaming. Similar to how my wife likes Cut the Rope and Bejewled, but will not touch a controller, I think there will be plenty of people who don't identify as "gamers" who will be interested in VR. But that's largely going to depend on the tech getting sleek through multiple hardware revisions. Once it's down to a very thin, lightweight pair of wrap around sunglasses that are wireless, I think the market will grow. There's a lot of people who look at strapping a shoe box to their face and just start laughing. I also think the movie and live sporting events markets will be pretty big. We've already seen gamers who are sports fans salivating over the idea of watching the Super Bowl in VR on the 50 yard line, or cinema nerds being able to lay all the way back in their Laz-Y Boy to watch a 3D film.

I don't think anything will de-rail the "core" games market at this point. There are too many millions of people our age who enjoy core games for that market to ever go away. Just look at the continued success of the AAA market. It may eb and flow over time, but I'm confident there will still be ways for us to shoot dudes in the face ten years from now.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

I've shared my thoughts a bunch of times over the years. I'm excited for all new things. VR is incredibly exciting and something that's hard to tell others about. You really have to experience it.

FPS are amazing. They feel fresh again. It made Doom 3 exciting. And it is merely patched in support. I can't wait to test built from the ground up games.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

Quote Originally Posted by weasl View Post
    Huh? Whats with you and randomly picking fights all the time Mid?
    LOL. Love the "play dumb" version of weasl.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

james is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
    I think it will be a lot like iPhone/iPad games - it will be it's own thing that doesn't really need "core" gaming. Similar to how my wife likes Cut the Rope and Bejewled, but will not touch a controller, I think there will be plenty of people who don't identify as "gamers" who will be interested in VR. But that's largely going to depend on the tech getting sleek through multiple hardware revisions. Once it's down to a very thin, lightweight pair of wrap around sunglasses that are wireless, I think the market will grow. There's a lot of people who look at strapping a shoe box to their face and just start laughing. I also think the movie and live sporting events markets will be pretty big. We've already seen gamers who are sports fans salivating over the idea of watching the Super Bowl in VR on the 50 yard line, or cinema nerds being able to lay all the way back in their Laz-Y Boy to watch a 3D film.

I don't think anything will de-rail the "core" games market at this point. There are too many millions of people our age who enjoy core games for that market to ever go away. Just look at the continued success of the AAA market. It may eb and flow over time, but I'm confident there will still be ways for us to shoot dudes in the face ten years from now.
    What about in 30 years when we are batteries for intelligent machines?

RM
    RM is online now Member

So long as the computers keep telling my brain that the steak is juicy and delicious...ignorance is bliss.

PS4 - Because Cronie

michealo is offline Watcher of stances

every time i try Oculus at a convention, it does nothing for me as a "floating screen".
    fine as a roller coaster simulator but movement in a 3d world isn't practical

i expect sonys implementation to be about as good as the cheap phone attempts
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo

Page 1 of 310 1231151101 ... LastLast