Page 51 of 306 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
    james is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
    I got two jobs so I should be able to manage VR.

One of the jobs is having to go through the posts on this forum
    Shut up and do your job(s).

Quote Originally Posted by miDnIghtEr View Post
    hey the tech was better than I thought. How off were you guys in OR price? Did. Anyone guess?
    The highest anyone said was $120.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Shut up and do your job(s).
    He's too busy trying to count how many Asians are in The Force Awakens.
    Great quotes on the internet:

I hear Galaxy is brilliant, and it probably is. Just can't picture myself sitting down and playing it. That would take time away from watching the Disney Channel and working on my coloring book.
    Ryan Payton (MGS4 Associate Producer)

Onslaught X is offline Expert Industry Analyst

Quote Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
    The highest anyone said was $120.

He's too busy trying to count how many Asians are in The Force Awakens.
    I will count them right once you correctly start seeing 1080p!
    Don't Reach, Young Blood

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club

I will count them right once you correctly start seeing 1080p!
    You shut your mouth.

I hear Galaxy is brilliant, and it probably is. Just can't picture myself sitting down and playing it. That would take time away from watching the Disney Channel and working on my coloring book.

You shut your mouth.
    Well, for whatever reason, I forgot the Raid people.
    Don't Reach, Young Blood

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club

hdinred is offline Member

Indy and Red Suit pointing to 6-year-old posts for smack-down jollies.. interesting..
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One – The Leader in 4K Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

Well, for whatever reason, I forgot the Raid people.
    Your diplomatic immunity has been revoked.

Quote Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
    Indy and Red Suit pointing to 6-year-old posts for smack-down jollies.. interesting..
    You're just salty cuz you gotta remember what you said back then.

You were seriously all-in on the Kinect craziness.

Your diplomatic immunity has been revoked.

You were seriously all-in on the Kinect craziness.
    I can't be blamed for this, they were totally wasted in the movie and were featured in probably the worst sequence of the entire film.
    Don't Reach, Young Blood

I'm fine with my comments back then.. not really different than when we were told how revolutionary the CELL would be.. some fans bought into it, but the reality didn't match the hype.

Thing is, while MS is distancing themselves the motion control era, Sony looks to be bringing Move back into a more predominant role with VR.. we'll see how it goes.

The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

I can't be blamed for this, they were totally wasted in the movie and were featured in probably the worst sequence of the entire film.
    Man, this is racist. How dare you!?

I'm fine with my comments back then.. not really different than when we were told how revolutionary the CELL would be.. some fans bought into it, but the reality didn't match the hype.
    You ~really~ bought into the Kinect hype though.

Thing is, while MS is distancing themselves the motion control era, Sony looks to be bringing Move back into a more predominant role with VR.. we'll see how it goes.
    So far I've seen ~zero~ mention of motion controls from Sony. The attitude towards Move has been "it's there, you can use them!" The focus is on VR, not motion controls.

You ~really~ bought into the Kinect hype though.
    True. I own 6 Kinect games for Xbox One even. I still like it for an occasional change of pace.

So far I've seen ~zero~ mention of motion controls from Sony. The attitude towards Move has been "it's there, you can use them!" The focus is on VR, not motion controls.
    Isn't the helmet a big move wand, using the camera and lights? Isn't this a prototype?

So this might explain the cost of the Oculus... and why PSVR likely won't be anywhere near as expensive:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1167258

To be perfectly clear, we don’t make money on the Rift. The Xbox controller costs us almost nothing to bundle, and people can easily resell it for profit. A lot of people wish we would sell a bundle without “useless extras” like high-end audio, a carrying case, the bundled games, etc, but those just don’t significantly impact the cost.
    Palmer says this stuff costs them "almost nothing", but of course... You're still adding up the cost of a controller and all the "extras" onto the cost. You're still spending money, so saying "well it doesn't significantly impact the cost" doesn't mean it isn't affecting it.

As for why the rift turned out way more expensive than initially thought?

The core technology in the Rift is the main driver - two built-for-VR OLED displays with very high refresh rate and pixel density, a very precise tracking system, mechanical adjustment systems that must be lightweight, durable, and precise, and cutting-edge optics that are more complex to manufacture than many high end DSLR lenses. It is expensive, but for the $599 you spend, you get a lot more than spending $599 on pretty much any other consumer electronics devices - phones that cost $599 cost a fraction of that to make, same with mid-range TVs that cost $599. There are a lot of mainstream devices in that price-range, so as you have said, our failing was in communication, not just price..
    So they replaced the initial single-screen construction with two separate OLEDs for each eye, they reworked the tracking system on the headset, they have some sort of new way to adjust the headset and they're using expensive lenses for the eye pieces.

A lot of that adds up, and from all accounts, the PSX PSVR headset was decent... But it's stll using a single-display construction with a lower-resolution display, its tracking is based on the same tech Move uses, it doesn't have any sort of "mechanical adjustment" and Sony can provide their own lenses since they already manufacture them.

RedRedSuit is online now Member

Actually, I wish there was more of it. It's just basic accountability. We all talk a lot of shit and vice versa on here... it's fun to see who turns out to know what they're talking about vs. falling for hype. It doesn't happen a lot that this is exposed.

It's different in that I didn't fall for the revolutionary Cell hype. Really the only guy who really fell for it (that I can recall anyway) was WellInformed, and the thing I probably spent the most time on this board on is pointing out his bullshit about Cell performance.

All I ever expected of Cell was that good exclusive developers (and a handful of third-party guys) would figure out how to use it well, which would indeed give PS3 the edge in making the best-looking games at the top end (not on average, but at the top end). And that definitely did happen.

Far cry from buying Milo line, hook, and sinker and defending it hardcore and without reservation; or saying that it's going to be totally accomplished and common-place in a few years. It's not the same. It IS about the same as WellInformed's attitude towards the Cell (or anything Sony, granted).

I also though Natal looked pretty sweet and publicly said I looked forward to see what devs could come up with. Too bad they didn't come with anything good really, and the device itself was also cut down compared to the original demos. (I don't think the latter point matters much. Kinect just isn't good at controlling motion in 3D. If it were, someone would figure out how.) So you can say I fell for the PR hype myself there (I didn't freakin' PURCHASE it though... or defend it tooth-and-nail).
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

miDnIghtEr is offline Banned

So PSVR doesn't have audio? you use your own headset? Is that right?

Also, I bet RRS was never wrong and always predicted right! You betcha!

RedRedSuit is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by miDnIghtEr View Post
    So PSVR doesn't have audio? you use your own headset? Is that right?

Also, I bet RRS was never wrong and always predicted right! You betcha!
    I probably have a good record, yes, because 1, not driven by fanboyish loyalty, and 2, I'm basically a coward about predictions: unless I'm pretty damned sure, I won't say anything.

Feel free to prove otherwise.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV