Page 299 of 313 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301309 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,485 of 4685
    RM
    RM is online now Member

Episode V: The Carmack Strikes Back!

The ongoing legal drama between Oculus chief technology officer John Carmack and his former employer ZeniMax continues today with Carmack suing the company.

The complaint filed on behalf of Carmack alleges ZeniMax refuses to make a final payment stemming from the $150 million purchase in 2009 of id Software, the company Carmack co-founded in the ’90s most well known for creating the Doom franchise.

Carmack’s lawsuit alleges he’s owed $22.5 million still from that purchase, and that ZeniMax “made it clear that the company would not voluntarily comply on a timely basis” because of “claimed violations of Mr. Carmack’s Employment Agreement and ZeniMax’s alleged intellectual property rights.” A Texas jury issued a $500 million decision against Oculus and co-founders Brendan Iribe and Palmer Luckey in a recent case due to copyright infringement and “false designation”, but the filing by Carmack says “ZeniMax did not bring any claim for breach of contract against Mr. Carmack as part of that lawsuit.”

ZeniMax responded to a request for comment with the following prepared statement:

We have reviewed John Carmack’s latest legal complaint which is completely without merit.

We note that this is Mr. Carmack’s second complaint against ZeniMax. In the recently completed trial of ZeniMax Media Inc. et al v Oculus VR et al, in which Mr. Carmack was a named Defendant, and in which ZeniMax was awarded $500 million in damages for misappropriation of its intellectual property, Carmack had counterclaimed, seeking damages for ZeniMax’s alleged violations of his employment agreement. The jury flatly rejected Mr. Carmack’s complaint, and found for ZeniMax. Mr. Carmack was personally found guilty by the jury of the theft of ZeniMax’s property, including thousands of confidential ZeniMax documents he secretly took when he quit his employment, and his theft of the entire source code to id’s latest game, RAGE, including the id tech 5 engine. In addition to those crimes, it was revealed by an independent court-appointed computer forensics expert, that upon receiving notice of the Oculus lawsuit, the files on Mr. Carmack’s Oculus computer were intentionally wiped–destroying the evidence, and that a sworn affidavit Carmack filed with the Court denying the wiping was false. The wiping occurred right after Mr. Carmack researched on Google how to wipe a hard drive. And there was much more.

Apparently lacking in remorse, and disregarding the evidence of his many faithless acts and violations of law, Mr. Carmack has decided to try again. We look forward to presenting our response to Mr. Carmack’s latest allegations in Court.

Here’s the document (PDF) stating Carmack’s case, with an excerpt included below.

Oculus vows to appeal the jury’s decision while ZeniMax is seeking to stop Oculus from using any tools or code it allegedly derived from work Carmack did for Oculus while he was at ZeniMax.
    Keepin' it classy.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    I'm still amazed that Carmack would need to use Google on how to wipe a hard drive.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

Favelle is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    I'm still amazed that Carmack would need to use Google on how to wipe a hard drive.
    Keep in mind, this is what Zenimax is CLAIMING that Carmack did.....what actually happened might be something different entirely.
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies

Quote Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
    Keep in mind, this is what Zenimax is CLAIMING that Carmack did.....what actually happened might be something different entirely.
    Well, it came up in court and Carmack didn't dispute it.

RM
    RM is online now Member

Formatting the drive doesn't delete all the data. Typically it just deletes the file directory, so the files are still there. If you've got the right tools, you can go in and rebuild the directory. So I don't fault him for not knowing the specifics. Although, my first instinct would be to do a regular format, then fill up the drive with new data. If you fill the drive up with MP3s, you know the old data is gone.

But everyone in this day and age should know their Google searches are being recorded. That's the part that got him. How many times have we seen court cases in the news where they talked about the accused doing a google search for the crime they were later accused of committing? Seems like that should be common knowledge by now.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Formatting the drive doesn't delete all the data. Typically it just deletes the file directory, so the files are still there. If you've got the right tools, you can go in and rebuild the directory. So I don't fault him for not knowing the specifics. Although, my first instinct would be to do a regular format, then fill up the drive with new data. If you fill the drive up with MP3s, you know the old data is gone.

But everyone in this day and age should know their Google searches are being recorded. That's the part that got him. How many times have we seen court cases in the news where they talked about the accused doing a google search for the crime they were later accused of committing? Seems like that should be common knowledge by now.
    Oh I get it, but you would think he would be aware of programs that could overwrite the data on multiple passes in order to ensure that it is "probably" destroyed.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

Averry is offline Member

Amazon is claiming that Alexa/Echoe search history is some sort of free speech protection. A lot of legal ground has been covered by Google in this through the years. Its interesting.

But........yeah.....it's funny.....we all kind of miserably joke about this sort of spying.....but even when you're not committing any of the real kinds of crimes we normally refer to, it pops up in corporate espionage suits.
    PSN: AverryXC
    XBL: AverryXC

27 inch Insignia 720p
    Reclining Chair 14 feet back.

I have a hard time believing that Carmack couldn't just write a program executable that populated the drive over and over until it fried in about 5 seconds.
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon

RedRedSuit is online now Member

There's nothing strange about Carmack googling how to safely wipe a drive. It's not a trivial thing all geeky people know. It's not rocket science either, but it's totally a thing one would google. Really smart coders google how to do shit, all the time. I don't know what you're on about.

Fry a hard drive? What? Why would Carmack have any experience in this area?
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    There's nothing strange about Carmack googling how to safely wipe a drive. It's not a trivial thing all geeky people know. It's not rocket science either, but it's totally a thing one would google. Really smart coders google how to do shit, all the time. I don't know what you're on about.

Fry a hard drive? What? Why would Carmack have any experience in this area?
    I just find it funny and consider it pretty damning given the circumstances.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

I just find it funny and consider it pretty damning given the circumstances.
    Because we all completely trust 100% what Zenimax says 100% of the time.....
    Elitist >> mindless peon

RM
    RM is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
    Because we all completely trust 100% what Zenimax says 100% of the time.....
    Well, the court did find him guilty and liable, so they weren't wrong.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

Well, my curiosity got the better of me and I had to see how well the patch to add 3D Blu-Ray support to the PSVR panned out...

Full disclosure: My main TV since 2011 has been a 50" Panny plasma VT20. A couple of weeks back, I stepped into the modern generation with an LG 55" UH8500 (w/ passive 3D). Both TVs are fantastic when it comes to 3D so the PSVR had a lot to live up to.

And it's a complete and utter shitshow.

Seriously, between 5-10% of the time can you get any sense of depth. Anyone thinking it'd make a decent substitute for not having an actual 3DTV will be seriously disappointed.
    I still love the PSVR, though. To this day, I'm having a blast with 'Rush of Blood' and 'Holo Ball' and I'm thrilled that the 4.50 update finally added external HD support.... three years into the game.

Adding "3D Blu-ray support" was just a giant nothingburger, though.
    "Would of"? "Could of"?? "Should of"??? I long for the day people realize that "of" is not a verb and that it'll never be possible to "of" something...

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

Well, the court did find him guilty and liable, so they weren't wrong.
    I actually don't think they did. The statement I read and posted was from Zenimax, but my friend sent me the actual ruling and I think they found Oculus with wrong doing, but not Carmack himself. Still, googling that kind of shit at work is kinda fishy. Not that it's immediately damning. As my friend in IT said, "It's perfectly normal to research new ways or new tech to do the action."
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

RM
    RM is online now Member

What I read said that Carmack and that other Oculus guy were found liable, separate from Oculus. I read that they will personally have to give up money out of their pocket, along with the judgement against Oculus.

But maybe that doesn't mean what I think it means? I'm sure Badger could clarify for us.
    PS4 - Because Cronie