Page 297 of 306 FirstFirst ... 197247287295296297298299 ... LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,455 of 4578
    Badger3920 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    For rent: 1 bedroom hipster pad. Recently divorced from legal in California ethnic Jewish husband. Walking distance to downtown arts and urban ghetto for culture exposure. Willing to discuss rent and possible community food garden. No straight Xbox gamers please.
    Share in my opinion: Hipster pad in san francisco better tan left hand + self in Maine cha-channnn!!!!
    Home Theater: Panasonic PT-ae4000u, 110" Carada Brilliant White Screen, PS4
    Gaming PC: Intel i5 2500k, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Averry is offline Member

I've definitely grown far more patient as I've gotten older. The amount of movies and games that I "Cant wait for" has dwindled.

But its nice to try games that surprise you and pull you in. MGSV is a good example of a game I was late to but thoroughly enjoyed when I got there.

Music is maybe the most fun to me.

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

Valve’s Gabe Newell: VR could “turn out to be a complete failure”

With Valve investing so much time, effort, and money into its SteamVR initiative (and the nearly year-old HTC Vive headset), you might think the company would be pretty bullish about the technology's potential to revolutionize home computing. But in a rare round table interview (as reported by Polygon), Valve CEO and cofounder Gabe Newell was surprisingly frank about the company's measured expectations for the entire field.

"We're optimistic. We think VR is going great. It's going in a way that's consistent with our expectations," says Newell. That said, "we're also pretty comfortable with the idea that it will turn out to be a complete failure.

Further Reading
    Oculus expects to sell “north of a million units” for first consumer Rift
    "Some people have got attention by going out and saying there'll be millions of [VR unit sales] and we're like, wow, I don't think so," Newell continued.

This is likely a reference to major VR competitor Oculus, whose then-CEO Brendan Iribe told Ars in 2014 it expected "north of a million sales" for its first consumer Rift headset, with "hopefully... many millions" for a second-generation follow-up.

Many industry watchers have suggested that the high entry price for top-end PC VR—roughly $800 plus a beefy computer to power it—is holding the field back from those high sales numbers. But Newell suggests we need better VR content before we rush to better VR prices.

"I can't point to a single piece of content that would cause millions of people to justify changing their home computing..." he said. "If you took the existing VR systems and made them 80 percent cheaper, that's still not a huge market. There's still not a really incredibly compelling reason for people to spend 20 hours a day in VR... There's an old joke that premature cost reduction is the root of all evil."

One reason for the measured VR expectations in the short-term is headset technology that Newell describes as "barely capable of doing a marginally adequate job of delivering a VR experience."

Newell says some of the current tech problems are well on the way to being solved, though, with headsets that are smaller, lighter, and sporting better resolution already being worked on in development labs.

Will VR make flat panels obsolete? Oculus’ founder gives it 20 years
    On resolution, especially, Newell expects that, by 2018 or 2019, VR headsets will provide "higher [resolution] than just about anything else, with much higher refresh rates than you're going to see on either desktops or phones. You'll see the VR industry leapfrogging any other display technology."

That's a bold prediction that somewhat echoes Oculus founder Palmer Luckey predicting that VR would eventually make flat panel displays obsolete—though Luckey gave that prediction 20 years to come true.

Further Reading
    Valve is developing three full-length VR games in Unity and Source 2
    The best sign that VR has a long future, according to Newell, is the fact that developers that dip their toes into the space keep coming back with new ideas. "That feels like the kind of fruitful, frothy excitement that you want to see when you're aspiring to build something that’s going to be worth more and more."

Eventually, he thinks that those developers will create enough quality content that gets rational consumers to the "buy" point. It's a process Valve is helping along by developing three full-length, original VR titles of its own.

Polygon's full write-up of the interview is well worth a read for a closer look at the reserved Valve CEO, who's often reluctant to speak to the press but can be quite forthcoming when he does.
    I'm crushing hard.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

DaveS1138 is offline Member

"I can't point to a single piece of content that would cause millions of people to justify changing their home computing..." he said. "If you took the existing VR systems and made them 80 percent cheaper, that's still not a huge market. There's still not a really incredibly compelling reason for people to spend 20 hours a day in VR... There's an old joke that premature cost reduction is the root of all evil."
    Time for them to start working on OASIS
    PSN : DaveS1138
    The Definitive (tm) GT5 vs Forza 3 bet
    Vanquished I retreat from the field.....the victory is miDnIghtEr's
    Forza - Finally able to race at night and in the wet...just like GT3 did.....in 2001.....on the PS2

Shoeless is offline HDD Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
    Time for them to start working on OASIS
    Next year is going to be rough with me having to do the jaded reader thing, telling people, "I know, I KNOW, Ready Player One was a book first, I read it years ago, you don't have to tell me what the story is about, I know already, geez..."

I still remember how amazed I was that some people didn't realize The Fellowship of the Ring wasn't the start of an original movie franchise, but oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Next year is going to be rough with me having to do the jaded reader thing, telling people, "I know, I KNOW, Ready Player One was a book first, I read it years ago, you don't have to tell me what the story is about, I know already, geez..."

I still remember how amazed I was that some people didn't realize The Fellowship of the Ring wasn't the start of an original movie franchise, but oh well...
    I'm really looking forward to Speilbergs take on it

I've been recommending the audiobook to people for years. Very well read by Will Wheaton
    Forza - Finally able to race at night and in the wet...just like GT3 did.....in 2001.....on the PS2

For anybody that is interested Dirt Rally got PSVR support added yesterday. In the form of $13 DLC unfortunately but whatever.....

I'm looking forward to finally having a racing game I can try out in VR

Very impressed with Dirt Rally in PSVR. It looks worlds better than Driveclub (I've only tried the demo. If the full game has been improved for the Pro it might look better). It's making me feel much better aout PSVR having the power to pull off a full racing sim

Also nice to see that it's the entire game playable in VR not the limited "VR Experience" GT Sport is going to be giving us with PD's BS excuse of the full game being in VR being "too big of a strain on the players"

Unfortunately the PSVR is set up on my main gaming PS4 not the racing wheel setup so I'm having to struggle through with a standard controller but really impressed with the experience so far and it has RallyCross which is just some of the best racing EVER!!

Well we've got some actual sales figures for PS VR now. According to Andrew House in an interview with NYT, PS VR has sold about 900K+ units since February, and is on track for the in-house one million milestone they have for April.

Even Andrew House, global chief executive of Sony Interactive Entertainment, the video game division of the Japanese electronics giant, had doubts about how quickly virtual reality would be embraced by the mass market. So when Sony needed to decide how many of a new virtual reality headset to manufacture, Mr. House was among those inside the company advising that Sony make fewer of them.

“It’s the classic case in any organization — the guys who are on the front end in sales are getting very excited, very hyped up,” Mr. House said. “You have to temper that with other voices inside the company, myself among them, saying let’s just be a little bit careful.”

It turns out Mr. House was too cautious. The headset, PlayStation VR, has been scarce in many stores, especially in Japan, since it went on sale in October. In an interview at his Silicon Valley office on Friday, Mr. House revealed PlayStation VR’s sales for the first time, saying consumers had purchased 915,000 of the headsets as of Feb. 19, roughly four months after it went on sale.

Sony’s internal goal was to sell one million of the headsets in its first six months, by mid-April. The company will almost certainly surpass that forecast. “You literally have people lining up outside stores when they know stock is being replenished,” said Mr. House, describing the scene in Japan, one of the largest games markets.

Mr. House said the supply of PlayStation VR headsets will improve by April. By fall, Sony expects to begin selling them in Latin America.
    In recent months, a more sober tone has descended over virtual reality. Oculus executives have sought to shift the conversation from first-year sales to the technology’s long-term potential. During a recent court appearance, Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s chief executive, said the company would probably need to invest more than $3 billion over a decade to reach an audience of hundreds of millions of people with virtual reality.

Among the other challenges facing the technology: high prices for virtual reality equipment, limited high-quality content and thorny side effects like motion sickness.

Sony enjoyed advantages as it entered the market because its headset is sold as an add-on to its game console, PlayStation 4, more than 53 million of which had been sold by the start of January. The headset sells for $400 — or $500 with a set of virtual reality hand controllers and a required camera — hundreds of dollars less than other premium products, which also require powerful PCs.

Mr. House said he would be “very happy” if the product ends up being purchased by a high single-digit percentage of all PlayStation 4 owners. For newer generations of headsets to reach a bigger audience, they will have to be lighter, cheaper and unencumbered by cables, analysts believe.

More creators of content will also have to step up their investments. Many virtual reality games are currently shorter experiences made by small, independent game studios. A number of large publishers are sitting on the sidelines until more headsets are sold.

One exception is Capcom, a Japanese game maker that released a new installment in its popular horror series, Resident Evil 7 biohazard in January that is entirely playable in virtual reality. Since that game was released, the average amount of time PlayStation VR users spend playing in the headset has doubled, Mr. House said.

Congrats to Sony.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

I'm very curious about whether Zenimax is going to make any headway in their attempt to discontinue the selling of Oculus Rift entirely.

In the unlikely event they pull it off, Valve will have the PC space all to themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I'm very curious about whether Zenimax is going to make any headway in their attempt to discontinue the selling of Oculus Rift entirely.

In the unlikely event they pull it off, Valve will have the PC space all to themselves.
    I don't exactly like that. I mean, competition will drive advancement faster. The only issue I have with the two product approach is the lack of openness in the Oculus. Exclusives have no place in a PC platform.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

RM
    RM is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post

I don't exactly like that. I mean, competition will drive advancement faster. The only issue I have with the two product approach is the lack of openness in the Oculus. Exclusives have no place in a PC platform.
    Oculus doesn't really want to be a part of the PC platform. If they could afford to have their own console that ran their headset to wall it off entirely, they would.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

RedRedSuit is online now Member

Assuming the PSVR numbers aren't some kind of clever spin, that's very encouraging for VR as a whole.

As for Zenimax, if they actually stop sales of Oculus products... god, what assholes. I'd be pretty shocked though. I've seen many threats of that kind in these situations, but I can't think of one example where it actually happened. Presumably Facebook would settle... I hope. As an Oculus owner, obviously this would be no fun.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

Badger3920 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Assuming the PSVR numbers aren't some kind of clever spin, that's very encouraging for VR as a whole.

As for Zenimax, if they actually stop sales of Oculus products... god, what assholes. I'd be pretty shocked though. I've seen many threats of that kind in these situations, but I can't think of one example where it actually happened. Presumably Facebook would settle... I hope. As an Oculus owner, obviously this would be no fun.
    More likely a negotiated license agreement to the alleged misappropriated IP and a royalty for x% of the revenue. This, of course, makes Oculus less attractive to Facebook by x%.
    Home Theater: Panasonic PT-ae4000u, 110" Carada Brilliant White Screen, PS4
    Gaming PC: Intel i5 2500k, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD