Page 2 of 316 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Shoeless is offline HDD Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    There is definitely Smackdown. I was just very gentle and tender in the delivery. If you need me to be more direct:

HoloLens looks like it sucks when compared to other virtual reality products.
    HoloLens has a lot of potential in the non-gaming spaces, but it has to develop better tech and get the clunkiness of the hardware down. I'm still a little peeved that they're calling it HoloLens when it's not actual holography, but then I also don't like seeing those new two-wheeled things referred to as "hover boards," so I just nitpick that way.

Augmented reality however, does have a big future in commercial, educational and other real world spaces. It's got some promise in gaming, but its non-gaming applications far and away are much more exciting and promising.

VR is a better fit for more extreme, escapist entertainment, and it's had a couple of decades to work some of its fundamental kinks out, but it still has a long way to go. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing the tech go mainstream, but I still view 2016 as VR's "dawn of cinema" period, in that this is still basically black & white/silent film versus what it can eventually be in a few decade's time.

miDnIghtEr is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by weasl View Post
    Huh? Whats with you and randomly picking fights all the time Mid?
    Oh you're not gutter?

@James. I don't think hololens is VR, but it should be pretty cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    I've shared my thoughts a bunch of times over the years. I'm excited for all new things. VR is incredibly exciting and something that's hard to tell others about. You really have to experience it.

FPS are amazing. They feel fresh again. It made Doom 3 exciting. And it is merely patched in support. I can't wait to test built from the ground up games.
    Huh...............

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

Quote Originally Posted by miDnIghtEr View Post
    Huh...............
    You don't get to play that card.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

RedRedSuit is online now Member

Huh...............
    He was excited about Natal. I was too. You can find tons of posts that prove it.

Then it turned out to suck. We recognized that reality. That's the difference between a zealot fanboy and a rational elitist. The latter may have fanboyish hopes... but they can recognize reality even when those hopes don't materialize. The zealot, on the other hand, just goes with whatever brand to their own detriment.

---

I haven't tried VR or AR yet. So I can't answer the topic. Certainly if I'm picturing it right, VR is immensely exciting for at least certain genres. Not sure it works for general 3D movement. I'll give it a shot when it's out.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

james is offline Member

@James. I don't think hololens is VR, but it should be pretty cool too.
    That post was meant to convey that I'm more interested in VR than AR (HoloLens). I shouldn't have used the word other. But, I agree, HoloLens does look interesting. I was pretty impressed with that holographic Minecraft presentation they did because it opened the door to my imagination on the potential of this technology.

Prior to that, the demos I saw looked more appropriate for disco parties.

Really? I'll be able to find tons of post that RRS and Twonun were excited about Kinect? Interesting. And now I don't get to play that card? Why's that.

Shoeless is offline HDD Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Prior to that, the demos I saw looked more appropriate for disco parties.
    With the right design and smooth coding, an AR horror game could be brilliant. Or traumatic. The idea of your own home being the place where ghost/killer/killer ghost is out to get you exploits a pretty low level, instinctive fear.

But yeah, as a demonstration of the Star Wars Holo-Chess concept, AR does quite well with that. Imagine playing an RTS with a friend that way at your dinner table. Or this, just without the shock therapy...

To be honest.. I still want that Fortazela thing or whatever it was called. I should find that thread with that in there.. See how excited twonun and RRS were for that product. I'm sure they didn't make fun of it or anything because they were excited for "Natal"

Lol.. fucking amazing! Hahahahaha

RedRedSuit is online now Member

To be honest.. I still want that Fortazela thing or whatever it was called. I should find that thread with that in there.. See how excited twonun and RRS were for that product. I'm sure they didn't make fun of it or anything because they were excited for "Natal"

Lol.. fucking amazing! Hahahahaha
    We were indeed publicly and repeatedly excited about Natal (at the same time that most non-Xbots were dimissing it). My only criticism of Natal (and later Kinect), until release, was that (1) Milo was smoke-screen bullshit (I turned out to be right), and (2) didn't seem suitable for free 3D movement (I turned out to be right). Other than I, many times, said I was excited for it.

I don't know what the rest of your post is supposed to mean. It's really incoherent, since it doesn't make any specific criticism and is just full of vagueness and the same meaningless exclamations most of your posts contain (which means they have no power, since you always use them).
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

I think he's referring to that display thing that MS was working on. That stupid idea of displaying the screen past the point of your TV. Maybe? That thing I wasn't excited about because it seemed like a projector that wasn't aligned with the screen properly and it would spill out onto your furniture.

Other than that, I like most new types of tech if it shown to offer a new experience. It still puts most of the burden on software to prove its worth though.

I don't tend to favor one company's output over another. I hold them all to the same standards of "If it's neat, it's neat." You'll have my attention until I get to actually use it. I won't judge it until then.

I promote VR a lot because I've used it. I had access to the Oculus 2.0. It's a pretty great device.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Really? I'll be able to find tons of post that RRS and Twonun were excited about Kinect? Interesting. And now I don't get to play that card? Why's that.
    Well, seeing that I was on the 360 side of the fence last generation....
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

RM
    RM is online now Member

I think he's referring to that display thing that MS was working on.

Previously called "IllumiRoom":

Microsoft’s ‘RoomAlive’ transforms any room into a giant Xbox game

Still looks dumb. Maybe if arcades still existed it could be a neat concept, but not in modern living rooms.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Quote Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
    Previously called "IllumiRoom":

Microsoft’s ‘RoomAlive’ transforms any room into a giant Xbox game

Still looks dumb. Maybe if arcades still existed it could be a neat concept, but not in modern living rooms.
    It just reminds me of those light projectors that I remember kids having when I was a kid.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

I'm excited for all new things.

I think he's referring to that display thing that MS was working on. That stupid idea of displaying the screen past the point of your TV. Maybe? That thing I wasn't excited about
    Game.... Set.... Match.

I have been owning SDF this past week. Must be the Force!

Page 2 of 316 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast