Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 671
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cuco33 View Post
    Forza 6 is also launching september 2015
    As per your own argument, racing games no longer matter.
    Great quotes on the internet:

    I hear Galaxy is brilliant, and it probably is. Just can't picture myself sitting down and playing it. That would take time away from watching the Disney Channel and working on my coloring book.
    Ryan Payton (MGS4 Associate Producer)

  2. #32
    Gutter21 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Incorrect. It's actually like this:

    For a given game X I would actually play:

    - If I haven't played X yet: Remaster of X is clearly better, because it's the less-gimped version and usually includes all DLC as well. (Ask anyone who played GTA V on PS4 vs. PS3, or TLoU on PS4 vs. PS3.) Choosing to instead buy and play the old version is just dumb, unless you are utterly destitute.
    - If I have played X: I probably don't want to play it again.
    - If I have played X, but it's so amazing I want to play it again: 50/50. Free is good, but playing it with better visuals and 2x the frame rate is probably worth $X as well... at least it adds a reason to play it yet again. Do I just want to watch Terminator 2 on VHS yet again... or do I want to pay $10 to upgrade to DVD? If I'm such a huge fan of T2 as to want to watch it for the 5th time... yeah, I'll spring on the DVD.

    So as you see, for a given game a remaster is actually quite attractive, if you actually look at it logically instead of brain-vomiting, as a fanboy does, on the topic.

    Of course, REMASTERS VS. BC is not the real fight; it's just a strawman. If every game that was available with BC were available truly and well remastered, then it would be a fight (and remasters would win that fight, I assure you... people love to double-dip for a better version). That's not the case however.


    I disagree. I think this was pretty spot on:
    Lens of Truth: Did you hear that? That sir is the sound of the bar being raised.

  3. #33
    Badger3920's Avatar
    Badger3920 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    23,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    I don't get this at all.

    If you have a good PC, OK, fair point. But if you don't, there are plenty of good games released on the new consoles. Most of them aren't exclusive, but that isn't a requirement.
    I was going to say, I think his point works best if you have a PC. My thoughts on this gen, of course, are that it's pretty meh to this point. I cant agree with "I don't get this at all." I definitely get it. For folks into gaming enough that they're on a gaming site sure maybe that reaction makes sense, but in general, this generation is luke warm chicken noodle soup. If you're hungry, it'll get the job done, but it's not great and no particular part of it is all that thrilling (especially given the gen's heavy reliance on yearly rehashes of the same few, big, multiplat series) .
    Home Theater: Panasonic PT-ae4000u, 110" Carada Brilliant White Screen, PS4
    Gaming PC: Intel i5 2500k, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

  4. #34
    cuco33's Avatar
    cuco33 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    17,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
    As per your own argument, racing games no longer matter.
    Well... its not MY argument... its the cronies + Sony's!!
    Polished turd is still turd
    ~my PC has me by the webos~
    Driveclub no longer rattling cronies since 2013 because racing games no longer count!
    #makesmackdowngreatagain

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Occupying a job
    Posts
    11,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    I don't get this at all.

    If you have a good PC, OK, fair point. But if you don't, there are plenty of good games released on the new consoles. Most of them aren't exclusive, but that isn't a requirement.
    "plenty" is subjective. I havent seen a feature or a game yet on these new consoles that make me say to myself "damn, I need to get that shit right now!"

    What in the world are you playing on the thing?

    Itd be different if this was like going from ps2 to ps3 or xbox to 360. There was a world of difference. All I'm seeing is slightly better graphics and load times. Its making it real easy to sit this one out so far. Not a day goes by that I think I'm actually missing something.

  6. #36
    Badger3920's Avatar
    Badger3920 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    23,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
    Itd be different if this was like going from ps2 to ps3 or xbox to 360. There was a world of difference. All I'm seeing is slightly better graphics and load times. Its making it real easy to sit this one out so far. Not a day goes by that I think I'm actually missing something.
    This is a completely reasonable position. No real generational breakthrough type moments or titles yet.
    Home Theater: Panasonic PT-ae4000u, 110" Carada Brilliant White Screen, PS4
    Gaming PC: Intel i5 2500k, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

  7. #37
    weasl's Avatar
    weasl is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    10,636

    Default

    Shouldn't be in the already existing BC thread?
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

  8. #38
    Gutter21 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by weasl View Post
    Shouldn't be in the already existing BC thread?

    Usually when the NPD thread dies down. Mid creates a diversion thread like this one.
    That kinda hate can push a man.....................
    Lens of Truth: Did you hear that? That sir is the sound of the bar being raised.

  9. #39
    DaveS1138's Avatar
    DaveS1138 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bedford, NH
    Posts
    12,914

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
    This is a completely reasonable position. No real generational breakthrough type moments or titles yet.
    being able to stream to my Vita if somebody else is using the TV or I'm in the living room and playing the PS4 up in my man cave has been a breakout moment for me. Granted I'm probably in a minority just for owning a Vita
    But even without anything that you might think of as a breakout type moment I have been impressed by how much less clunky this generations consoles feel compared to last.
    faster loading times, updates that download themselves in the background, being able to buy a game remotely and have it downloaded before I get home, games that resume as soon as I turn the console back on......going back and using my PS3 feels so slow now
    PSN : DaveS1138
    The Definitive (tm) GT5 vs Forza 3 bet
    Vanquished I retreat from the field.....the victory is miDnIghtEr's
    Forza - Finally able to race at night and in the wet...just like GT3 did.....in 2001.....on the PS2

  10. #40
    RM's Avatar
    RM
    RM is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    11,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
    Itd be different if this was like going from ps2 to ps3 or xbox to 360. There was a world of difference. All I'm seeing is slightly better graphics and load times. Its making it real easy to sit this one out so far. Not a day goes by that I think I'm actually missing something.
    We just haven't seen that year like 2007 for this generation yet where we get a bunch of new IP hitting all at once. What we've seen so far is more of the same that we got with the previous generation, with only slightly better graphics, and often times more broken.

    It seems pretty clear that trend will continue through the end of this year. Hopefully next year we will see games that are truly a step forward beyond just prettier versions of what the previous gen could do. If the entire lifespan of the PS4 and Xbox One is just a resolution bump over the PS3 and 360...
    PS4 - Because Cronie

    PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

  11. #41
    RedRedSuit's Avatar
    RedRedSuit is online now Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    25,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
    "plenty" is subjective. I havent seen a feature or a game yet on these new consoles that make me say to myself "damn, I need to get that shit right now!"
    Then you probably don't like games anymore. Which is fine, but that's not an issue with the console but with you not having the same excitement for games. There are "plenty" of examples, but -- for example -- Witcher 3. If you feel you're missing NOTHING there, then nothing would impress you anyway, at least if applied universally to all such games. Bloodborne, Batman. More shit coming down. Of course there are also the far superior versions of games like Dragon Age and Far Cry 4 (shit, Far Cry 3 alone ran horribly on console) that do exist in gimped form on 360/PS3.

    Me, I don't even currently have enough time to play the games I've started. Small startup and all that. But if I had time... I'd be (more) all over it.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

  12. #42
    Krawk's Avatar
    Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    10,949

    Default

    Reason why BC matters to X1 is that it's the only way to get 60fps, or maybe not.

    New gen of console should get a new gen of game, remastered to say the least.

    But maybe mid is right, playing NBA 2K09 is so much better than say NBA 2K15.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

  13. #43
    RM's Avatar
    RM
    RM is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    11,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Then you probably don't like games anymore. Which is fine, but that's not an issue with the console but with you not having the same excitement for games.
    Or maybe he just got sick of the type of games that were popular on the last console, and he's seeing more of the same on the new consoles. Just because you get sick of genres, tropes, aesthetics, mechanics, etc. doesn't mean you "don't like games" anymore - you may just be looking for something different. If the new consoles aren't delivering something different, then that's a separate issue.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

    PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

  14. #44
    weasl's Avatar
    weasl is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    10,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
    Or maybe he just got sick of the type of games that were popular on the last console, and he's seeing more of the same on the new consoles. Just because you get sick of genres, tropes, aesthetics, mechanics, etc. doesn't mean you "don't like games" anymore - you may just be looking for something different. If the new consoles aren't delivering something different, then that's a separate issue.
    Hate to break it to you but last gen didn't deliver anything different like that either. We long ago hit the cap on "stuff we can't do on previous hardware" and now it's mostly "bigger and better"
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Occupying a job
    Posts
    11,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Then you probably don't like games anymore. Which is fine, but that's not an issue with the console but with you not having the same excitement for games. There are "plenty" of examples, but -- for example -- Witcher 3. If you feel you're missing NOTHING there, then nothing would impress you anyway, at least if applied universally to all such games. Bloodborne, Batman. More shit coming down. Of course there are also the far superior versions of games like Dragon Age and Far Cry 4 (shit, Far Cry 3 alone ran horribly on console) that do exist in gimped form on 360/PS3.

    Me, I don't even currently have enough time to play the games I've started. Small startup and all that. But if I had time... I'd be (more) all over it.
    There is some truth to that...But that same truth also applied to me around the last few years of the Ps2. The Ps3 sorta rejuvenated my spirit for gaming. I'm definitely in a pretty long drought of game fatigue and I'm guessing i'm just looking for some "gotcha" feature/game that just hasnt arrived.

    I do agree that there will be great things coming down the pike for it, but my opinion is based on feature sets and games currently out for it.

    Regardless of whether I want one or not, Fallout comes out this year and there will need to be a PS4 waiting for it.

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.1 PL1