Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
    Haven't seen ZomBeavers have they?
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Almril is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by michealo View Post
    I'd hope any gimmick would should be ostracized. For the first time, I'm out (at least at launch) if not.
    The wiiU screen controller is a novelty which was cool for a few applications but I would rather have had that money in extra hardware.
    Perhaps Nintendo learned a good lesson but 3rd party support will be tough to win back.
    Nintendo should double down on casual gimmick gaming. The Wii-U was a weird hybrid, they made a gimmick system for the hardcore. They are never going to be the gaming system of choice for the "core gamer", so just double down on portables and gimmicks.
    Quiverstar
    Crablice

Vidfreek is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Almril View Post
    Nintendo should double down on casual gimmick gaming. The Wii-U was a weird hybrid, they made a gimmick system for the hardcore. They are never going to be the gaming system of choice for the "core gamer", so just double down on portables and gimmicks.
    Yeah that didnt work this time around, they already thought after the Wii did so amazingly well that people would do it again but with a different gimmick....they were wrong. Sony has proved that people want a good quality controller and good quality games with lots of options like Indies and F2P MMOs and such, no gimmicks, no cameras, no Kinects. Nintendo went from the top of the pack with Wii sales to the bottom of the pack because of those gimmicks and ZERO third party support....if they keep up with that, they can expect the same thing to happen again.

I already got rid of my WiiU for a PS4 and it was the best decision I've made in a long time and I usually hate getting rid of systems but it has almost nothing worthwhile and their E3 stuff didnt help me at all, Star Fox looks pretty bad, a crappy Metroid for the 3DS (which I also gave up a while back) and no Zelda till late next year, thats almost four years into the consoles life span and no Zelda till then?

Sorry, Nintendo just sucks anymore and I dont see them doing anything unless they do what Microsoft and Sony have done to make things right with the core gamers

RM
    RM is online now Member

Things won't change until Iwata is gone. They have such a huge cushion of cash built up from the DS and Wii, they can afford to suffer through an entire additional hardware cycle with another failed gimmick. And they may well just do that because they're such a traditional Japanese company.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

twonunpackmule is offline Sponsored by Crony

Rumor is that it's suppose to replace both the WiiU and 3DS. So, I imagine a portable/console hybrid. More so than the WiiU. The idea I guess is to fully integrate that concept like buying a Vita does with the PS3/PS4. So, I think the controller might be closer to a 3DS than the Gamepad.

I love Nintendo and still think they make the best first party games. Their WiiU catalog is the best of the current gen systems. Seriously, Mario 3D World is amazing. Their only weakness is 3rd party support. That's where owning another system supplements that. I think Nintendo needs to stop people from wanting to do that. So, hopefully, they'll be able to fix that weakness in their library.

I'm also hoping it includes full BC with the WiiU. Only way I'll even remotely consider owning it within the first year of it's release.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

RM
    RM is online now Member

If they just made a suped-up Vita with a 7" screen and focused all their dev efforts on that one device, that could be fantastic.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

cuco33 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
    Things won't change until Iwata is gone. They have such a huge cushion of cash built up from the DS and Wii, they can afford to suffer through an entire additional hardware cycle with another failed gimmick. And they may well just do that because they're such a traditional Japanese company.
    Consolewise, I think the success of the Wii got them out of a bad hole. The WiiU doesnt seem to be the hit they need so they better do well with the NX. I doubt we will see just a console focused on power, would not be surprised if motion or the wiiu pad is still part of the plans
    Polished turd is still turd
    ~my PC has me by the webos~
    Driveclub no longer rattling cronies since 2013 because racing games no longer count!

Vidfreek is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by cuco33 View Post
    Consolewise, I think the success of the Wii got them out of a bad hole. The WiiU doesnt seem to be the hit they need so they better do well with the NX. I doubt we will see just a console focused on power, would not be surprised if motion or the wiiu pad is still part of the plans
    I wouldnt be too upset if they joined both together, honestly that could be a great thing, buy their main console and the controller IS the DS unit too, you can get games for both like normal but the hardware comes all in one package. That I could easily be down for, but you still run into the same problems of the WiiU, if someone doesnt have one of those controllers to use, what do you use to play with? The WiiU gamepad is supposed to be its strength but its also its major weakness, one of those controllers can be used and thats it, the rest used old Wiimotes and kind of missed out on any experience with the gamepad. Hopefully the same thing doesnt happen again, Nintendo is probably the only one that still focuses on couch gaming with your friends and they almost alienate that at the same time of trying to keep it going.

Its hard to say what Nintendo is thinking but I'm guessing its more along the lines of something weird and not what the fans want outside of the core hardcore people that still play their games.

Nintendo couldnt be beat back in the day, the SNES was probably the best system around and IMO ever made, its my favorite and I loved that thing, Nintendo was in their prime back then, the amount of games was staggering and the quality of them also the same, it smoked the competition in graphics as well, that is where Nintendo needs to be again, AT LEAST on the same ground as the others hardware wise, in doing so will bring all the games. They need to quit worrying about GTA on their system or other mature rated games, they need to embrace it all.

But as I've gotten older Nintendo's games have lost their luster for me, I'm focused more on Mature and quality titles like Dragon Age, Bloodborne, Batman, The Last of Us, etc. I really dont have fun playing the cutesy colorful Mario games anymore, they might be great platformers but those types of experiences dont do anything for me now, by the time the NX gets going my son will be at the age to really get into playing some games but we will have to see what Nintendo does and if that console will be around in a few years either. For anyone still looking at a next gen console to buy, I could never recommend them the WiiU no matter how good their games might be, the WiiU is just missing too many great titles and unless people can or really want to afford more than one major console, the Xbox One and PS4 are just superior efforts in just about everything

weasl is online now Member

Nintendo would be a powerhouse if they dropped so the solo gimmick act that alienates third party publishers. Nintendo going toe to toe with MS and Sony isn't going to happen unless they start getting all those multi-plat third party games.
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

Quote Originally Posted by weasl View Post
    Nintendo would be a powerhouse if they dropped so the solo gimmick act that alienates third party publishers. Nintendo going toe to toe with MS and Sony isn't going to happen unless they start getting all those multi-plat third party games.
    They won't drop the gimmick. That is really all they have left.
    I predict a handheld with screen but with an hdmi/wireless video out so it can also act like a console based on Android that will still only have just above 360 graphics.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

weasl is online now Member

They won't drop the gimmick. That is really all they have left.
    I predict a handheld with screen but with an hdmi/wireless video out so it can also act like a console based on Android that will still only have just above 360 graphics.
    They still have incredibly strong IP and development studios. Practical weasl say's they have the strongest IP in the biz. Their big issue is all they have is that IP at this point.
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

Quote Originally Posted by weasl View Post
    They still have incredibly strong IP and development studios. Practical weasl say's they have the strongest IP in the biz. Their big issue is all they have is that IP at this point.
    They do have big IP, but I think at this point they are better off pulling a Sega (at least as far as making games for other systems) but doing it in a better way than Sega and not forgetting their classic IP.

Most of their IP peaked with the N64. Best Mario? N64. Best Zelda? N64. Best Mario Kart? This one is debatable but I still prefer Mario Kart 64 over all the others.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

RM
    RM is online now Member

That's my main problem with Nintendo: They've gotten into this rut of not developing any new IPs aimed at their core fanbase, and most of the time they're just rehashing the same core IPs over and over. The have moments of inspiration (Mario Galaxy, Kirby's Epic Yarn), but with most of their IPs, they're just rehashing the same stuff over and over again. Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Smash Bros., Donkey Kong, Paper Mario, and Zelda have all just been second and third sequels for years now. And they've all but abandoned main series Metroid games after MP3.

When they did step out and create new IPs, it was with the super casual shit that appealed to the Oprah crowd. Hearing them say they considered WuHu Island and the Balance Board to be core characters to the Nintendo brand was soul crushing.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

They do have big IP, but I think at this point they are better off pulling a Sega (at least as far as making games for other systems) but doing it in a better way than Sega and not forgetting their classic IP.

Most of their IP peaked with the N64. Best Mario? N64. Best Zelda? N64. Best Mario Kart? This one is debatable but I still prefer Mario Kart 64 over all the others.
    Best Zelda was SNES. Ocarina is good, but overrated.

Mario Kart? If it weren't for the lousy ass battle mode in Mario Kart 8, it would be the best one.

Best Mario? That either goes to Mario Galaxy 2 or Mario 3D World.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Quote Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
    That's my main problem with Nintendo: They've gotten into this rut of not developing any new IPs aimed at their core fanbase, and most of the time they're just rehashing the same core IPs over and over. The have moments of inspiration (Mario Galaxy, Kirby's Epic Yarn), but with most of their IPs, they're just rehashing the same stuff over and over again. Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Smash Bros., Donkey Kong, Paper Mario, and Zelda have all just been second and third sequels for years now. And they've all but abandoned main series Metroid games after MP3.

When they did step out and create new IPs, it was with the super casual shit that appealed to the Oprah crowd. Hearing them say they considered WuHu Island and the Balance Board to be core characters to the Nintendo brand was soul crushing.
    Splatoon? Seems to be killing it. Given the install base and whatnot. The only issue is how content is rolling out.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast