Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last>>

Default Guitar Hero Controller: Missing receiver?

Hi people,

I am new to the whole Rock Band / Guitar Hero buzz and just bought the Rock Band Hardware. I am still waiting for the game to arrive but already got myself a second guitar, the Les Paul of Guitar Hero III. I bought it used from Ebay.

Now I am very confused...Rockband uses an USB-Hub where I plug in a receiver which picks up the guitar signals and also connect microphone and drums.

But the Les Paul did not come with any receiver or USB dongle to plug into it. Is that normal or did the seller on ebay forget to send me the receiver for the guitar?

Hope anyone can help!

Best wishes,

Vincent
    Quote Originally Posted by VincentVinyl View Post
    Hi people,

I am new to the whole Rock Band / Guitar Hero buzz and just bought the Rock Band Hardware. I am still waiting for the game to arrive but already got myself a second guitar, the Les Paul of Guitar Hero III. I bought it used from Ebay.

Now I am very confused...Rockband uses an USB-Hub where I plug in a receiver which picks up the guitar signals and also connect microphone and drums.

But the Les Paul did not come with any receiver or USB dongle to plug into it. Is that normal or did the seller on ebay forget to send me the receiver for the guitar?

Hope anyone can help!

Best wishes,

Vincent

Pretty sure you need a dongle for the guitars and drums.
    Proud member of the BATMAN club and the CAT SQUAD... it's not what you think.

In memorium - Waggleton P. Tallylicker - Never Forget
    That is what I thought, too. But the guitar I bought on ebay does not include that. Does anyone know for sure and has used the Guitar Hero III controller? Maybe in combination with Rock Band? Would be glad to know, cause if the dongle is missing I have to contact the seller and maybe return the controller, since I will not be able to use it :-(.
    which system?

my PS3 guitar hero III guitar needs a dongle.
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo
    That is what I thought, too. But the guitar I bought on ebay does not include that. Does anyone know for sure and has used the Guitar Hero III controller? Maybe in combination with Rock Band? Would be glad to know, cause if the dongle is missing I have to contact the seller and maybe return the controller, since I will not be able to use it :-(.
    Well, my buddy brings his GH3 controller over when we play RB2 and he needs that dongle to play. I'd contact the seller if I was you. Also, my experience is with a PS3, not sure what you are using.
    Proud member of the BATMAN club and the CAT SQUAD... it's not what you think.

In memorium - Waggleton P. Tallylicker - Never Forget
    Yepp, I am using a PS3 as well. So it seems the seller forgot to include the dongle or lost it then. Seems I have to return the item then or ask if he could send it, if he has it.

So you guys are sure a dongle is needed?

@Michealo

I bought the Guitar Hero III guitar for PS3 as well on ebay. But it is just the guitar without a dongle :-(.
    yes, you absolutely need a dongle for PS3 Guitar Hero III.
    perhaps you can buy one separately.
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    Thanks for the replies! So I was right and I need the dongle...

Still the seller should have it since he claimed he bought it for PS3, too and used it once. But he also claims there was no dongle...Seems impossible then :-(.

I wrote the seller a polite mail asking to either take the item back or send me the dongle if he still has it.

The dongle does not seem to be available seperately :-(.

Thanks again for the great help!
    Thanks for the replies! So I was right and I need the dongle...

Still the seller should have it since he claimed he bought it for PS3, too and used it once. But he also claims there was no dongle...Seems impossible then :-(.

I wrote the seller a polite mail asking to either take the item back or send me the dongle if he still has it.

The dongle does not seem to be available seperately :-(.

Thanks again for the great help!

If it helps any, the GH dongles are interchangeable. At least, I'm pretty sure they are. We have three GH guitars, with three different dongels. I've never grabbed a dongel that didn't work with the guitar I picked up to play with. Now, it's not scientific, but the odds of me grabbing the exact same dongel that came with the exact same guitar each and every time I played is slim to none.

In other words - if you cant get the dongel from the seller, don't rack your brains trying to find a dongel that came specifically with the les paul. You can get any old gh dongel and it will work.

Yes, I said it..I grabbed a dongel. No, don't worry...I won't grab your dongel.
    @ TheAnalogKid

Thanks for the reply :-). Sadly I donīt own any older or newer Guitar Hero game or guitar :-(. Basically I just own the Rock Band Hardware Bundle, since it was pretty cheap to get. I ordered the games seperately but wait for them to arrive.

And now I got the Guiter Hero III Les Paul from ebay and after all without the dongle I can not use it :-(.

I read somewhere I could buy the dongle from Red Octane, but I think I should not have to, since itīs the sellers fault if the lost it and not mine. He sold a product which is not supposed to work with the dongle, so it is pointless selling it to anyone withiut it :-(.

But perhaps I am lucky and he just messed it up and forget that there was a dongle (he claims he never had one but used the guitar) and sends it to me still. I am waiting for his reply right now :-).
    I'm totally out of it on this, and forget, was the GH3 guitar wireless? For some reason I was under the impression it was wired. But like I said, I stopped paying close attention to the specifics of the series a while ago.
    It is wireless since Guitar Hero III as far as I know. The Guitar also does not have any USB connector and on the internet they always speak about the wireless dongle:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/11/ps...more-question/
    there were no wired Les Paul Guitar Hero III guitars, unless they were 3rd party.
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    Mine is definately from Harmonix - so it says in the battery slot. It also says itīs for PS3. I checked that in fear the seller send me a wrong item for PS2 or so.

I now started a case on my Paypal account since I am a bit sceptical: The seller also sold his used bundle of Guitar Hero III for PS3 with guitar. That buyer gave him positive feedback. So HE probably got a dongle with his bundle.

But when I asked about the missing dongle the seller said there never was one...Does not fit together.
    Harmonix? Neversoft made Guitar Hero III.

sure the seller sent you a Les Paul Guitar Hero III guitar?
    can you post a picture?
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW