awarlock is offline Member

Default PS4VR Farpoint up for pre-orders on Amazon Release Date May 16th, 2017

Just discovered this today on Amazon.

Pre-ordered the Farpoint Bundle already. You get a $16 deduction with Amazon Prime off of the $79.99 Farpoint Bundle price.

https://www.amazon.com/PSVR-Aim-Cont...=psvr+farpoint

https://www.amazon.com/PSVR-Farpoint...=psvr+farpoint

https://www.amazon.com/PSVR-Aim-Cont...aim+controller

It would appear the (2) player co-op is Online only.
    Last edited by awarlock; 03-10-2017 at 10:16 AM.

Shoeless is offline HDD Contributor

Yeah, local multiplayer wouldn't really be feasible for this unless it was a "second screen" thing with the other player having the TV screen assigned to them for traditional, "flat" FPS gaming.

james is offline Member

I'm a bit out of the loop, but at what point do we call PSVR a failure? The steep price reductions on existing content and the lack of compelling new content doesn't bode well for it's future.
    Last edited by james; 05-09-2017 at 03:26 PM.

I guess it depends on whether your definition of failure means outright cancellation, or whether it means simply limping along on lifesupport.

We'll probably have a much clearer idea of how well or badly PSVR is doing after E3. If it still gets some stage time, and the E3 showfloor itself still has some upcoming titles announced for it, it's still doing "okay."

If we get nothing, and Sony is pretending the peripheral no longer exists, then you can probably safely pronounce it as failed and dying. We'll have to see how it goes. The PSVR X-Wing mission for Star Wars Battlefront actually did comparatively well. Well enough that EA is throwing more PSVR content into Battlefront II. And Namco is still putting out an Ace Combat game with a VR component.

james is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I guess it depends on whether your definition of failure means outright cancellation, or whether it means simply limping along on lifesupport.

We'll probably have a much clearer idea of how well or badly PSVR is doing after E3. If it still gets some stage time, and the E3 showfloor itself still has some upcoming titles announced for it, it's still doing "okay."

If we get nothing, and Sony is pretending the peripheral no longer exists, then you can probably safely pronounce it as failed and dying. We'll have to see how it goes. The PSVR X-Wing mission for Star Wars Battlefront actually did comparatively well. Well enough that EA is throwing more PSVR content into Battlefront II. And Namco is still putting out an Ace Combat game with a VR component.
    Do you think PSVR is worth the money? Have you enjoyed the content?

I have no regrets about getting PSVR at all, but, as with you, I also jumped to a Pro, and I've kept my expectations in check about how much and how often the software will be available for it. You definitely get the better VR experience with the Pro, and there are already a few stand out titles that really show off the potential of the hardware.

VR Worlds is a good intro to VR for just about everyone, with different, short VR experiences at different comfort levels. Batman: Arkham VR is actually one of the best VR games out there, with more of an emphasis on Batman the detective rather than the fighter. The X-Wing VR mission for Battlefront is another crowd pleaser. But Resident Evil 7 is either the best or the worst argument for VR, depending on where you stand with it.

It actually takes horror games and potentially pushes them to the point where the scares are no longer fun, but actually stressful and unpleasant, depending on your predisposition. If you were one of those kids that got traumatized by horror movies as a child, this is worse. And for children I absolutely WOULD NOT subject them to RE7 in VR format, unless I wanted to scar that child for life. The immersion of a horror game in VR is at a whole other level. Even horror games where it's more about creep factor than jump scares, like Here They Lie, are much more unpleasant when you're "in the game" rather than viewing it from the relative safety and comfort of a TV acting as a window into another world.

The shorter experiences can also be a lot of fun, like the escape room games, such as I Expect You To Die, or Statik. And Tim Schafer's already proven that VR has an excellent lifespan ahead of itself for the adventure game genre. Rhombus of Ruin is his "interstitial" sequel between Psychonauts and Psychonauts 2, and it's actually quite a brilliant and funny example of adventure games in the VR space. Light gun games also have a new lease on life, with games like the upcoming Farpoint, but Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is an amazing experience in VR. Bound is also a very, very good example of how platformers can be done right on VR.

Of course there's stuff that's not so great as well. Some smaller companies have tried cashing in on VR with varying levels of success. 100 Foot Robot Golf is not great. Some other shooters also feel like cash ins, but if you want a gaming experience that truly feels novel and different, VR is it. There's still the issue of whether you will have VR motion sickness or not, but it's something you can get used to, or, if you're lucky, you won't be affected by it at all.