Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Shoeless is offline HDD Contributor

Default Horizon: Zero Dawn Thread

I'll get the ball rolling if anyone else decides to play it.

I'm a few hours in, but so far, I'm very impressed. The story is interesting, if told a little by-the-numbers, though of course the big pull is the mystery of why there are robot dinosaurs running around in a post-apocalyptic world that has reverted back to a natural state.

The big selling point of the game however is the RPG-lite system combined with the combat, which can positively be described as "MGS5-lite." Like MGS5, you get an array of different tools and different ways you can approach the open world combat. So you can go stealth, you can use a bunch of different trap/gadgets, or you can brute force it with straight up ranged/melee attacks, or, of course, use a combination of all those methods.

This game is ABSURDLY good looking on a Pro at 1080p, the super sampling makes everything look gorgeous and sharp. The performance is also quite solid. I've gotten bogged down by hunting and exploration/side quests in the newbie area, but I'll be advancing the story soon and using more gadgets and strategies.

Maybe the most surprising thing about this is how NOT Killzone it feels. Even though this is Guerilla Games, aside from the high visual standards, you'd never know it. I liked KZ2, and thought that was one of GG's best games, but this easily dethrones it. We're probably looking at another highlight of the generation for the PS4.

michealo is offline Watcher of stances

i really want to get into this but halfway through nioh and RE:7 is next in line
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo

RM
    RM is offline Member

This looks waaaaaaaaay better than RE7.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Boston007 is online now Member

Man this game looks good.

Favelle is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    Man this game looks good.
    Yeah, my brother-in-laws got early copies...it looks impressive. I hope Sony/Guerilla brings it to PC one day, but not likely.

I was surprised there wasn't much hype for the game here leading up to today's launch. It was all they could talk about for the last month because they needed to beat it before Andromeda.
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies

I think the crowd here at HD Digest has a particular slant when it comes to games. I admit, I've had my eye on it, but never actually talked about it much because I'm usually a lot more vocal about Japanese and VR games, and this was more of a "conventional" third person Western action game.

But I'm really enjoying the game. Even if the story isn't the most original in terms of beats and narrative moments, the production values on the game and cut scenes is insanely high, almost enough to make up for the average quality of the story. And the open endedness of the game mechanics makes it a lot of fun to just run around hunting stuff down.

Got my copy in the mail today. I might play it tomorrow, we'll see.

I have heard nothing but good things about it though.
    Current Computer Rig; 6850k (OCed to 4.0GHz), MSI GTX 1080 Twin Frozr VI, Asus X99-A, 32GB 3200MHz Ram, 2x 500GB 850 EVOs SSDs (OS/Programs | High Priority Games), 1x6TB WD Black (Media), 1x4TB WD Black (Games). Bunch of externals.
    Peripherals; Acer Predator 27" QHD 144hz G-Sync & Asus 23" 120hz Monitors, HTC Vive, Logitech G933 Wireless 7.1 Headphones, Corsair K95 Platinum Mechanical KB, Glaive & Polaris RGBs
    Region Free Player: Sony BDP-S5100
    UHD Player: LG UP970

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I think the crowd here at HD Digest has a particular slant when it comes to games. I admit, I've had my eye on it, but never actually talked about it much because I'm usually a lot more vocal about Japanese and VR games, and this was more of a "conventional" third person Western action game.

But I'm really enjoying the game. Even if the story isn't the most original in terms of beats and narrative moments, the production values on the game and cut scenes is insanely high, almost enough to make up for the average quality of the story. And the open endedness of the game mechanics makes it a lot of fun to just run around hunting stuff down.

I thought maybe it was because it was from the Killzon devs...so.....you know.

How's the sound design? Is it quite open world with a decent level of immersion? Some of the gameplay vids look killer....imagine it at 4K/60fps!
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon

Quote Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
    I thought maybe it was because it was from the Killzon devs...so.....you know.

How's the sound design? Is it quite open world with a decent level of immersion? Some of the gameplay vids look killer....imagine it at 4K/60fps!
    I might need to get further into the game, but so far, playing on a 5.1 set up, it hasn't been blowing me away with immersive audio. The sound effects are great, and the music is gorgeously composed, but I haven't really noticed any really "wow" audio moments with the speakers. It's probably just because the first few areas are comparatively tame in terms of wildlife and such, but it's not like say, Yakuza 0, where you walk down the street and hear cars, people screaming in Japanese and the dampened "thump" of bass coming from night club somewhere in the distance that makes you feel like you're deep in the middle of downtown Tokyo.

That may change as I get into the wilder, more untamed areas, but for now, aside from the rustling of trees from different directions, it hasn't been a very lively soundscape directional audio-wise.

thejnc is online now Member

I'm pretty hyped for Horizon. Picked it up yesterday but need to finish Gravity Rush 2 1st. I played a little to see how it looked and hot damn it looked amazing. I wasn't sure if Yakuza would come before Horizon but now I'm pretty sure Horizon is on deck.
    Finished 2017 Games
    Finished 2016 Games
    Finished 2015 Games
    Finished 2014 Games

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Thejnc has essentially perfect grammar around here...

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I might need to get further into the game, but so far, playing on a 5.1 set up, it hasn't been blowing me away with immersive audio. The sound effects are great, and the music is gorgeously composed, but I haven't really noticed any really "wow" audio moments with the speakers. It's probably just because the first few areas are comparatively tame in terms of wildlife and such, but it's not like say, Yakuza 0, where you walk down the street and hear cars, people screaming in Japanese and the dampened "thump" of bass coming from night club somewhere in the distance that makes you feel like you're deep in the middle of downtown Tokyo.

That may change as I get into the wilder, more untamed areas, but for now, aside from the rustling of trees from different directions, it hasn't been a very lively soundscape directional audio-wise.

Hopefully it picks up. Judging from the videos, it just looks like it should provide this amazing, lively and enveloping soundscape.
    Elitist >> mindless peon

RedRedSuit is online now Member

Holy fucking shit.

This game's visuals are... it's hard to put it into words. Full-motion postcard generator?
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

Yeah, we got a HDR capable UHD TV here. My PS4 is just a standard one, not a PS4 Pro, but it still supported HDR and it does look quite gorgeous, especially the distant views.

I notice visual issues with things like beards (sort of aliasing that comes with upscaling I guess). There is also some slowdown issues.

Still, it's a really nice looking game, no doubt about it, and if I had a PS4 Pro those issues would probably go away.
    Current Computer Rig; 6850k (OCed to 4.0GHz), MSI GTX 1080 Twin Frozr VI, Asus X99-A, 32GB 3200MHz Ram, 2x 500GB 850 EVOs SSDs (OS/Programs | High Priority Games), 1x6TB WD Black (Media), 1x4TB WD Black (Games). Bunch of externals.
    Peripherals; Acer Predator 27" QHD 144hz G-Sync & Asus 23" 120hz Monitors, HTC Vive, Logitech G933 Wireless 7.1 Headphones, Corsair K95 Platinum Mechanical KB, Glaive & Polaris RGBs
    Region Free Player: Sony BDP-S5100
    UHD Player: LG UP970

michealo is offline Watcher of stances

tore myself away from nioh to play some of this.
    feels a lot like FC primal

visuals certainly are impressive.
    i bounce between performance/resolution modes as the framerate drops are noticeable on the latter when outdoors.
    dynamic HUD is the way to go.

i'm only a few hours in but the combat is rather fulfilling, i've just been wandering around the first open area taking down whatever beasts i come across.
    love that the 'silent strike' window is very large, hate when games make you be inches away from something before stealth kills can be triggered.
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo

hdinred is offline Member

Haven't noticed any frame-rate issues.. 4K mode on a Pro. Beautiful game.
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One The Leader in 4K Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast