Thread: WatchDogs 2

michealo is offline Watcher of stances

Default WatchDogs 2

anyone else playing it?

i was put off by the awful steam version performance but picked up the PS4 version during xmas sale. it took a while to grow on me but have completely dropped all other titles lately.

combat and driving are still hokey but the open world that this game has is impressive.
    really puts GTA5 to shame in that regard.

could also do without the lame hipster vibe from most of the characters but it's tolerable.
    addition of the RC/drone come in handy.

looks pretty good upscaled to 4k, performance was fixed with patch post-launch.
    soundtrack is way better than original WD title.
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo

RM
    RM is online now Member

Should I even bother looking at it if I didn't play the first one? I like a few open world games.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    Should I even bother looking at it if I didn't play the first one? I like a few open world games.
    there's very little connecting story between the two.
    i really liked the first title and it can be had very cheap these days
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW

RedRedSuit is online now Member

Was pleasantly surprised by it. Fun missions, funny characters and story, and best of all a somewhat freakishly spot-on impression of (and satire of) the Bay Area where I live. The mission involving infiltrating "Nudle" (Google) as an employee had me dying laughing. I don't know if this factor will hit people from other places the same way. However at least you will get a good feel for what it's like here, haha.

The characters are actually good. Was very afraid from the trailers, but they're basically just young kids trying to do good. They're pretty funny. This could've been a real disaster but is actually a plus, believe it or not. Their unexplained willingness to kill security guards and cops is a turn-off (it's not explained and is just kind of "there" for the main character to do if he chooses).

I never played the original. There appear to be very few connections between the two games. I really feel they didn't want to saddle this game with any baggage from that disappointment.

Looks great on PS4 Pro (looked pretty good on vanilla hardware too; literally was playing that game during the changeover). I've taken many screen shots and shared on Facebook for comparison to real places.

The driving is just okay. Everything handles kind of the same. It works. The shooting really does suck but hopefully isn't needed much. The hacking is what counts, and it's done very well. Many different ways to go: I found the Jumper robot and Quadcopter drone to be very fun to use to get into places.

I wouldn't say the open world destroys GTA V. V is much bigger and has a lot of nuance and variety. It's a bigger budget thing. However the missions in WD2 are much better overall. V got away critically with very linear main missions. WD2 missions tend to let you actually play the engine a lot more, and both side and main missions tend to be surprisingly good. Even those Uber car service missions have a bunch of hilarious twists I didn't expect (GTA would just have yiu go from point A to point B... let's just say not the case here).
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

HuskerGuy is offline Member

I was so close to buying this on multiple occasions over the holiday sales, but held off. I kind of regret it, but I'm sure I'll grab it sooner than later. I need something to distract me from Rocket League for a while.
    Proud member of the BATMAN club and the CAT SQUAD... it's not what you think.

In memorium - Waggleton P. Tallylicker - Never Forget

thejnc is offline Member

Really want to pick this one up at some point. I bought WD1 when it was pretty cheap on psn and still haven't played it though. Not sure if I should just jump to 2 or try to play 1 first.
    Finished 2017 Games
    Finished 2016 Games
    Finished 2015 Games
    Finished 2014 Games

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Thejnc has essentially perfect grammar around here...

weasl is online now Member

Waiting on the inevitable price drop. Was to buried in purchases over the holidays to pick up a game that's marketing campaign seems to be aimed far far away from me.
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

Shoeless is offline HDD Contributor

I have every intention of picking this game up eventually, but I tend to prioritize my RPGs and whacky Japanese games first. Still, this is on my radar, and so is Mafia III eventually. I've heard Mafia III is uneven, but I also like the idea of wandering in a racially charged recreation of 60s New Orleans.

RM
    RM is online now Member

Was thinking about picking this one up as it's $40 on PSN right now and I've been itching to play a third person shooter, but hearing the shooting sucks put me off it. Decided to pick up Nathan Drake collection instead.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

The game is really not at all about shooting. If you're shooting much you're doing it wrong.
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver

RM
    RM is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    The game is really not at all about shooting. If you're shooting much you're doing it wrong.
    Then I made the right call. Thanks for posting your impressions.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

I rarely used guns, finished game and plat trophy last week.

Still consider WD2 better overall than predecessor
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW

Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    Then I made the right call. Thanks for posting your impressions.
    Oh. I thought it was well known. It's a stealth game really.