Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Shoeless is online now HDD Contributor

Default Final Fantasy Versus XIII/XV Thread

So... I'm probably not the only that's playing this right now, right? What do you other JRPG fans think so far?

RedRedSuit is online now Member

It's on the way; I'll probably wait for the alleged December PS4 Pro patch for extra modes before starting it. I'm deep into Watch Dogs 2, which is awesome, anyway.

Looking at reviews, I think I'll like it a lot. There will be plenty to criticize, but it looks like a next-gen version of Final Fantasy XII (iffy story, strong world and dungeons, gameplay), which I loved. I think critics were ready to pounce and rip it a new one, so the fact it's getting good (if not 90+ range like in the old days of the franchise) reviews is a sign that it's a great game after all.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

RM
    RM is online now Member

*please be good*
    *please be good*
    *please be good*
    *please be good*
    *please be good*
    *please be good*
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design Define R4, i5 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

It's decent for me so far. I'm getting some Dragon Age: Inquisition vibes off it so far in terms of the structure of its gameplay. People expecting Witcher III-esque levels of detail and writing in the side-quests will probably be disappointed, but I think the combat in this game may actually be better than in Witcher 3.

I'm actually using a hybrid combat style of "Wait" and "Active" modes, similar to what I did in DA:I, and it seems to work just as well here. The graphics are pretty impressive by open world standards as well, but I'm playing on a Pro, so I can't comment on how it looks on a base PS4.

The story is a bit disjointed though. I think Squenix assumed people would be rabidly interested in this game and watched both the "Brotherhood" anime series on YouTube that built up the main characters, as well as the Kingsglaive CG movie that was released direct-to-video. The game seems to just work under the assumption that you know all this stuff already.

RM
    RM is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    The story is a bit disjointed though. I think Squenix assumed people would be rabidly interested in this game and watched both the "Brotherhood" anime series on YouTube that built up the main characters, as well as the Kingsglaive CG movie that was released direct-to-video. The game seems to just work under the assumption that you know all this stuff already.
    Ugh, god I hate it when they do that bullshit. That's an instant turn-off for me.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design Define R4, i5 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Personally I've felt these complaints tend to be exaggerated. XIII engendered many complaints about this, but the game's story was self-contained. It was just kind of not very good, is all. Usually the side stories just add a little depth and aren't really needed at all.

I do scoff when people defend a poor story in a game by saying, "But have you checked out XYZ? It's such a deep universe!" That's laughable.
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver

I have actually seen Kingsglaive and Brotherhood, so I guess I'm set in that regard.

My copy came in today. I'll probably be playing it tomorrow, presuming I don't wake up with a headache or something.
    Current Computer Rig; 6850k (OCed to 4.0GHz), MSI GTX 1080 Twin Frozr VI, Asus X99-A, 32GB 3200MHz Ram, 2x 500GB 850 EVOs SSDs (OS/Programs | High Priority Games), 1x6TB WD Black (Media), 1x4TB WD Black (Games). Bunch of externals.
    Peripherals; Asus 23" 1080p 120hz Monitor, HTC Vive, Logitech G933 Wireless 7.1 Headphones, Corsair Sabre RGB, Logitech G510 Keyboard
    Region Free Player: Sony BDP-S5100

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Personally I've felt these complaints tend to be exaggerated. XIII engendered many complaints about this, but the game's story was self-contained. It was just kind of not very good, is all. Usually the side stories just add a little depth and aren't really needed at all.

I do scoff when people defend a poor story in a game by saying, "But have you checked out XYZ? It's such a deep universe!" That's laughable.
    Squenix actually has tried to soften the blow a bit on this. There were two additional patches to the game, both about 8 GB in size, and they both included scenes from the Kingsglaive movie to try and give people a bit more background about what was happening. I guess someone over there realized that just having people read headlines off newspapers wasn't quite going to cut it as gripping narrative.

Looks like a real concern this time. Many people have mentioned Kinsglaive is worth watching. I'll have to rent it on Prime or maybe even buy it (I have the collector's bug with FF and MGS stuff... I ordered the FF XV guide, for example).

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

Looks like a real concern this time. Many people have mentioned Kinsglaive is worth watching. I'll have to rent it on Prime or maybe even buy it (I have the collector's bug with FF and MGS stuff... I ordered the FF XV guide, for example).
    I think it's on Netflix.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

weasl is offline Member

Mines patching right now, I'll dive into it later tonight.
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

Pro-Tip for leveling your characters.

The game operates on an FFX-style "sphere grid"-like system. If you want to make healing in combat much easier, and potentially spare yourself a lot of reloads and restarts for tough fights, put AP into the Ignis skill "Regroup" as quickly as possible. That thing is a life-saver.

Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    I think it's on Netflix.
    Nope. Nor Amazon Prime.

However searching for it showed me a Persona 3 anime exists and on Netflix to boot.

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

Nope. Nor Amazon Prime.

However searching for it showed me a Persona 3 anime exists and on Netflix to boot.
    I think it was on some steaming service a month or so ago. Not that it matters now.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

Onslaught X is offline Expert Industry Analyst

Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    I think it was on some steaming service a month or so ago. Not that it matters now.
    I can't tell if 'Not that it matters' now is a call back to something I tried to make happen as a recurring joke.

None of my jokes stuck. Fuck you guys
    Don't Reach, Young Blood

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast