Go Back   High-Def Digest Forums > Games > Game Room
Reload this Page Bungie Leaks, Reveals New Game Franchise 'Destiny'
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... Last>>

Lightbulb Bungie Leaks, Reveals New Game Franchise 'Destiny'

Some story details and concept art surfaced in a document over at IGN with Bungie later confirming the validity. Nothing solid revealed in terms of gameplay, unfortunately.

As quoted by IGN, Destiny's "story begins seven hundred years from now in the Last City on Earth, in a Solar System littered with the ruins of manís Golden Age. A massive, mysterious alien ship (the Traveler) hangs overhead like a second Moon. No one knows where it came from or what itís here for, but only that itís our protector. Meanwhile, strange, alien monsters creep in from the edge of the universe, determined to take Earth and the Last City. We are young Ďknightsí tasked with defending the remains of humanity, discovering the source of these monsters and Ė eventually Ė overcoming it."

IGN

Hope it turns out well, especially with three sequels already planned.
    sounds like they're really getting out of their comfort zone ROLLEYES
    "How long is this movie?"

"Who directed it?"

"David Lean"

"Three hours...at least."
    It doesn't look bad but this is going to be a case where the dev leaves their well known franchise and just doesn't reach the same level of fame.
    Winner of the 2014 "coworkers are looking at me for apparently laughing at nothing" award.
    Quote Originally Posted by thejnc View Post
    Seriously, change your sig. My coworkers are looking at me for apparently laughing at nothing.
    I personally see this game as doomed to fail...unless they change the consoles it releases on. I don't see this game doing well with it's "always online" play and it being released on current gen consoles. If they want the market, it'd probably be better to release on a new console, have a smaller install base, gradually fix the inevitable problems, cash in on being the ONLY MMO at launch.

"Who directed it?"

"David Lean"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-world-shooter

Seems a bit ambitious. I don't know if they can pull this off in this generation without major sucking. I mean it's the kind of project that's guaranteed to either be delayed or suck horrifically. And if it is delayed, will they really release it on PS3/360 in like 2014? By that point will people care enough to justify the investment, or is it better then to move to PS4/720? So then another delay? Or release a lazy port?

The timing is not great for such a big undertaking.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), GBA SP
    PC: Intel i5 3570k, nVidia GTX 670 4GB, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 160GB, Dish ViP722 HD DVR
    TV: Sony XBR2 46" 1080p LCD
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-world-shooter

Seems a bit ambitious. I don't know if they can pull this off in this generation without major sucking. I mean it's the kind of project that's guaranteed to either be delayed or suck horrifically. And if it is delayed, will they really release it on PS3/360 in like 2014? By that point will people care enough to justify the investment, or is it better then to move to PS4/720? So then another delay? Or release a lazy port?

The timing is not great for such a big undertaking.
    I doubt it'll be delayed, it's definitely a 2014 game since Activision has gone on record saying that they've not announced dates and it's not in their financials for the FY.

The PS3 and 360 will have another good year in 2014, guaranteed. They're just getting overshadowed by new hardware news.

Anyway, I like this, I like what they're proposing, so I hope they can pull it off, if they do... They'll redefine the genre again like they did in 2001.
    Great quotes on the internet:

I hear Galaxy is brilliant, and it probably is. Just can't picture myself sitting down and playing it. That would take time away from watching the Disney Channel and working on my coloring book.
    Ryan Payton (MGS4 Associate Producer)
    The concept art definitely delivers.. they have my attention..
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, WiiU)
    #PS4YesParity #ContinueGamerGate2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
    The PS3 and 360 will have another good year in 2014, guaranteed. They're just getting overshadowed by new hardware news.
    It's an MMO, basically. A year is like basically admitting failure.

"Who directed it?"

"David Lean"

Quote Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
    The concept art definitely delivers.. they have my attention..
    I think the concepts themselves are interesting. They almost make it sound like a shooter version of Journey, where you can be just doing your own single player thing and real people can randomly show up and disappear from your game. Hopefully with all their talk of Gearbox's influence with Borderlands, that also means they'll be implementing local co-op. If they do, my wife is a lock to play this game with me.

I'm going to assume that for a so called 10 year franchise, that means PS4/NeXbox versions are also in the works. I'll be an early adopter for work/geek reasons, so I wouldn't be very keen on a PS3/360 version of what's most likely going to be a Next-Gen series anyway.
    just dreaming, but a FPS version of a 'diablo 2'-like title would be of interesting to me.
    even a more persistent and more populated version of borderlands.
    perhaps hellgate:london ruined those chances.
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo
    There's no way this doesn't show up on the next consoles.
    One thing they do now, I noticed, is they have these platform wars, like "Xbox is better than Playstation." That's nerdy to me. What the fuck is the matter with you?
    - Ice-T on video game fanboys.
    Activision just said not in 2013.

So I guess it'll be on all platforms. With a $140 million budget it damn well better be.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), GBA SP
    PC: Intel i5 3570k, nVidia GTX 670 4GB, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 160GB, Dish ViP722 HD DVR
    TV: Sony XBR2 46" 1080p LCD
    Wait, is this is an MMOFPS?

If so, then R.I.P. Bungie.
    AOS Pyrochaos
    Pyrochaos
    Quote Originally Posted by WellInformed View Post
    Yes, X360 has technical advantages over the PS3. Bad code can still run on the X360. It can't run on the PS3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
    Wait, is this is an MMOFPS?

If so, then R.I.P. Bungie.
    Kind of but not really? They said it won't have a subscription and it's focus is on co-op play but they did mention things like 6 player raids.

Really, the whole bait and switch deal they pulled has completely turned me off of following the game. Once it's closer to release I'll look into it and I'm pretty sure it's going to be pretty good but, I got the feeling Bungie is getting up its own ass.
    One thing they do now, I noticed, is they have these platform wars, like "Xbox is better than Playstation." That's nerdy to me. What the fuck is the matter with you?
    - Ice-T on video game fanboys.