Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    TheDickWard is offline HDD Contributor

Default Studios Working on Next-Gen Xbox Games for 2012 Console Release

It looks like Microsoft will have a head start on the console war again, but maybe not by much.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/next-xb...op%3Btitle%3B1

weasl is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDickWard View Post
    It looks like Microsoft will have a head start on the console war again, but maybe not by much.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/next-xb...op%3Btitle%3B1
    Would be interesting if they landed in 2012, last rumor i heard was early 2013. I'm guessing they may try and launch with 343s Halo 4. One thing that does scare me is the rumors the new 360 will be smaller, and cheaper then the 360. Personally I just want a console that can run BF3 on Ultra next generation.. That and you know.. real 1080p would be nice too.
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

gamma626 is offline Member

343 confirmed Halo 4 was in development for 360.

What I love is that they also don't say "Halo 4 is not on development for next gen consoles."
    4K UHD's Owned: 20
    Most Recent Purchase: Underworld: Blood Wars (Best Buy Steelbook), La La Land
    Currently Playing: Persona 5, Marvel Heroes Omega
    Pre-Orders: Destiny 2 (PS4
    PSN/GT/WiiU: Gammagoll
    Quote Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
    You have just been blessed with the power of awesomeness.

RM
    RM is offline Member

Really don't see 2012 happening. 2013 seems more likely. HDD prices are still very high due to the flooding in asia, they've already announced Halo 4 for the 360, and Sony has shown no serious momentum for 2012, and the 360 is still selling well. Also, Kinect.

I don't doubt devs have some target hardware in hand, but I doubt it's final and I don't see a 2012 release.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

gamma626 is offline Member

I also agree to that. I'm think holiday 2013. 2014 for PS4.

As much as I'm ready for the power for the new consoles, this current batch still has life in my opinion. I'm not ready like I was the past couple generations.
    4K UHD's Owned: 20
    Most Recent Purchase: Underworld: Blood Wars (Best Buy Steelbook), La La Land
    Currently Playing: Persona 5, Marvel Heroes Omega
    Pre-Orders: Destiny 2 (PS4
    PSN/GT/WiiU: Gammagoll
    Quote Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
    You have just been blessed with the power of awesomeness.

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

It's funny how easy the developers have it for Xbox games seeing as the Xbox is just a closed-up computer anyway. Try developing a game for a Sony PS4 when the hardware isn't available. I wonder what specs they'll use for Xbox 720 or whatever the hell they're going to call it! I just replaced a Radeon 4870 with a 6970, unlike the xbox I just had to buy a card, not a whole new system!

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

Quote Originally Posted by gamma626 View Post
    I also agree to that. I'm think holiday 2013. 2014 for PS4.

As much as I'm ready for the power for the new consoles, this current batch still has life in my opinion. I'm not ready like I was the past couple generations.
    The big difference last gen was the change to "HD." There really isn't anything like that this time. It's going to be minor comparatively speaking. Sure, the graphics will probably be better...but the tech is more or less just an upgrade, not a whole new world. So, the necessity seems a bit less.

Personally, I'm fine with the level of graphics in today's games for the most part. I would just like better ideas to come out at a more consistent basis. This gen has seemed to tread water quicker than any other in terms of ideas. But, that's sort of expected when only the major studios can afford to develop and return profit because of the overhead in "HD" game development.

The games during the last few gens were much more "dangerous." Maybe next gen will see the gaming world come back to its risk taking self.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

Mase is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by weasl View Post
    Would be interesting if they landed in 2012, last rumor i heard was early 2013. I'm guessing they may try and launch with 343s Halo 4. One thing that does scare me is the rumors the new 360 will be smaller, and cheaper then the 360. Personally I just want a console that can run BF3 on Ultra next generation.. That and you know.. real 1080p would be nice too.
    We dont get 720p now (save for a game here and there), I seriously doubt we will see 1080p next gen. I think the best we can get is true native 720p with 30-60 FPS. I would be content with that, as anything more would make it too pricey. I just built 3 PCs for myself and friends and to get 1080P @ 60FPS at anything above medium settings cost more than $700 to produce. I would glady take a lower resolution (higher than we have now) like 720p to get solid locked frame rates.

Who knows what will happen though...
    Legnd K1ller
    LegndKiller
    Steam ID Legnd_Killer

KageMaru is offline Member

IMO it would be a mistake to launch next year. Better to wait until 2013 for many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post
    We dont get 720p now (save for a game here and there)
    Most games are still proper 720p, it's the ones here and there that are sub-HD.
    XBL: Kage Maru
    PSN: Kagemaru10g

Currently playing: DoA4, Halo Reach, GRAW2, Duke Nukem Forever, Uncharted 2, and Demon Souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
    Yup. Its all gaming. Hating on ANY platform is lame. You don't have to prefer a platform, but to be angry at OTHER people for playing it and enjoying it? Well that's just coldfoot/wellinformed/kagemaru mentality.
    This thread isn't about that though. Its about Battlefield 3. And you Coldfoot, get the shit version. Sorry.

Mase is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by KageMaru View Post
    Most games are still proper 720p, it's the ones here and there that are sub-HD.
    Perhaps that is the case now as I thought our consoles scale it up as does our HDTVs.

I still doubt we will get native 1080p games.
    Legnd K1ller
    LegndKiller
    Steam ID Legnd_Killer

KageMaru is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post
    Perhaps that is the case now as I thought our consoles scale it up as does our HDTVs.

I still doubt we will get native 1080p games.
    Well I mean natively, IMO most games are natively rendered at 720p now. Of all the big holiday releases launched recently, the only two that are sub HD are BF3 and MW3 IIRC. Otherwise everything else (Skyrim, SR3, UC3, Gears 3, etc) have all been full 1280x720.

As for next gen, I think we'll see 1080p games at the beginning, but I wouldn't put it past developers to lower the resolution later on in the generation when they are looking for ways to save performance to push new visuals. IMO rendering a game at 1080p would be cheaper than working to create new shaders and assets for prettier graphics, so while studios streamline their development to a point where budgets aren't so brutal, I think we'll see higher resolutions and/or frame rates in the meantime.
    XBL: Kage Maru
    PSN: Kagemaru10g

Currently playing: DoA4, Halo Reach, GRAW2, Duke Nukem Forever, Uncharted 2, and Demon Souls.

Yup. Its all gaming. Hating on ANY platform is lame. You don't have to prefer a platform, but to be angry at OTHER people for playing it and enjoying it? Well that's just coldfoot/wellinformed/kagemaru mentality.
    This thread isn't about that though. Its about Battlefield 3. And you Coldfoot, get the shit version. Sorry.

Plissken99 is offline Member

I would assume Xbox will have Blu Ray capability the next go round. Personally I welcome it, this will be the 1st console launch where I actually have some disposable income and won't be broke the following two months!

But I was under the impression Nintendo was looking to launch their new system sometime next year as well, so I dunno how much of a jump the Xbox will have on it, if any.
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

Bouncy X is offline Member

i guess there goes the comments that Sony CEO said a few months ago. he mentioned the system has finally found its place and has a long life to go. with HD and the download/online capabilities, i figured 360 and PS3 would last another 3 or 4yrs. not sure if i really wanna invest in another system already. i'm happy with my 360 and PS3 but i'm not a hardcore gamer so i dont matter. :P

but whatever the case, i do hope Microsoft learned their lesson with the ROD situation and this new system isn't rushed out before its ready. i'm sure they lost a lot of money and gamers due to that. and does this mean they'll treat the 360 how the original was treated where its completely ignored and abandoned. or will they follow Sony's route and keep supporting the previous gen system like they do with the PS2.

like someone else said, there wont be as big a jump in tech etc.. this time so there's no reason to abandon the older systems if they're that determinted to release a new one.

Mase is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post
    i guess there goes the comments that Sony CEO said a few months ago. he mentioned the system has finally found its place and has a long life to go. with HD and the download/online capabilities, i figured 360 and PS3 would last another 3 or 4yrs. not sure if i really wanna invest in another system already. i'm happy with my 360 and PS3 but i'm not a hardcore gamer so i dont matter. :P

or will they follow Sony's route and keep supporting the previous gen system like they do with the PS2.
    You answered your own question, Sony wont stop supporting the PS3 till at least 5 years after the PS4 drops. Look how lucrative the PS2 has been to Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by KageMaru View Post
    Well I mean natively, IMO most games are natively rendered at 720p now. Of all the big holiday releases launched recently, the only two that are sub HD are BF3 and MW3 IIRC. Otherwise everything else (Skyrim, SR3, UC3, Gears 3, etc) have all been full 1280x720.

As for next gen, I think we'll see 1080p games at the beginning, but I wouldn't put it past developers to lower the resolution later on in the generation when they are looking for ways to save performance to push new visuals. IMO rendering a game at 1080p would be cheaper than working to create new shaders and assets for prettier graphics, so while studios streamline their development to a point where budgets aren't so brutal, I think we'll see higher resolutions and/or frame rates in the meantime.
    True but seeing as how I just built some PCs and seeing what they are capable of, has me worried. I know that it takes more than I am willing to pay for a new console to hit 1080p with playable framerates. With all the rumors of a smaller and cheaper console, that does not give me a lot of confidence. Also the rumor about them using AMDs fusion cores or APUs, I built a machine with AMD top of the line chip (A8 3850 or something) and while it is incredible what integrated graphics can do, it is not able to do 1080p at playable framerates.
    Legnd K1ller
    LegndKiller
    Steam ID Legnd_Killer

Pyrochaos is offline Member

I don't want a minor improvement for next gen. I want it to be worth it. See the Unreal Engine 3 tech demo.

If that can be done on next-gen hardware, I will gladly fork out $400-$500 or so.
    AOS Pyrochaos
    Pyrochaos
    Quote Originally Posted by WellInformed View Post
    Yes, X360 has technical advantages over the PS3. Bad code can still run on the X360. It can't run on the PS3.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast