Page 1 of 1121 12311511015011001 ... LastLast
    Blinx123 is offline Member

Default The PC Snobbery Thread: Everybody Laugh at Onslaught

I figured after all those PC game threads (mostly created by Favelle) us PC gamers could, at the very least, have our own little thread.

This thread is pretty much in response to other "collector's threads", like the Random Gaming Posts. So feel free to post your queries, news and reviews here.

I'm going to start with a hardware news.

The new Silverstone Raven 3 is now widely available. Reduced in it's overall depth, it spots a rather unconventional power supply compartment located in the lower front of the case. Further moving the initial airflow to the front areas, this case is sure to impress in terms of airflow efficiency.

Features:

* Revolutionary 90 degree motherboard mounting from RAVEN RV01
    * Includes two Air Penetrator 180mm fans for superb performance and quietness
    * Support up to seven 120mm fans for exceptional cooling flexibility
    * Motherboard back plate opening behind CPU area for quick cooler assembly
    * Supports Extended ATX motherboard
    * Supports eight expansion slots and graphics cards of any length
    * Mandatory cable management design for clean looking system on every build
    * Hard drive compartment with independent cooling zone
    * Upscale and aggressive styling with dual-purpose front panel bezels

http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/...=RV03&area=usa

So. What do you think? Do you still prefer the negative air pressure of cases like the Coolermaster ATCS 840, or are you hungering to try out the positive air pressure goodness of Silverstone's newest black bird?
    Last edited by twonunpackmule; 04-11-2012 at 03:22 PM.
    PSN/XBL: BLINX1234

Bernie 2016!

Interim Project Leader @ Platinum Arts

Currently working on the next generation of Platinum Arts Sandbox.
    An easy to use, multi-platform gaming engine for Windows, Mac OS X and GNU/Linux (next generation console releases TBA)

Default AMD Bulldozer/Llano pricing revealed?

If we are to trust Turkish hardwareinsider Donanimhaber, the pricing for AMD's new CPUs has been leaked.

According to the leaked table, we will see CPUs ranging from $70 for the lowest end Llano to $320 for the top of the line AMD Bulldozer.

See for yourself:

http://wccftech.com/2011/05/20/amd-b...mation-leaked/
    Last edited by Blinx123; 05-20-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Bernie 2016!

An easy to use, multi-platform gaming engine for Windows, Mac OS X and GNU/Linux (next generation console releases TBA)

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

I BOUGHT A COOLMASTER HAF X!

It's a pretty freaking awesome case.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post

Yea. It's not bad. It's what my brother used for the PCs in his former store.

I wish it wasn't that small (compared to the Raven and the ATCS 840) and plasticky though.

Bernie 2016!

Badger3920 is offline Member

The HAF X isn't a small case. I was very close to going with the HAF X but went with sort of a mid-tower version of it (COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case).

I was also very close to going with the i7 2600k, but went with the i5 2500k, because the 2600k is the same thing but with some on board graphics hardware (Which isn't used on a p67 board) and hyperthreading (which wouldn't be useful to me as I'm not doing video/3d editing or rendering type work). I'm mainly gaming and doing basic office tasks on it, so I saved $100 and went with the 2500k.

Apparently, all of my parts arrived yesterday except my arctic silver and my BD drive, so I can pretty much start putting it together.
    Home Theater: Panasonic PT-ae4000u, 110" Carada Brilliant White Screen, PS4
    Gaming PC: Intel i5 2500k, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
    The HAF X isn't a small case. I was very close to going with the HAF X but went with sort of a mid-tower version of it (COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case).
    Missed the parentheses? I said it's small compared to the Raven and the ATCS 840. Which it most definitely is.

Personally, I'd like to go for a really big case. One that can house multiple HDDs (3-4), SSDs (1 or 2), one or two Blu-Ray drives (one set to Region 1 and the other set to Region 2), an E-ATX mainboard, 2-4 graphics cards and a giant cooler, alongside a whole bunch of dampening matts and stuff.

I was also very close to going with the i7 2600k, but went with the i5 2500k, because the 2600k is the same thing but with some on board graphics hardware (Which isn't used on a p67 board) and hyperthreading (which wouldn't be useful to me as I'm not doing video/3d editing or rendering type work). I'm mainly gaming and doing basic office tasks on it, so I saved $100 and went with the 2500k.
    The 2500K has integrated graphics, as well. Depending on your mainboard's chipset (the P67 you mention) you might not be able to utilize it though.

Apparently, all of my parts arrived yesterday except my arctic silver and my BD drive, so I can pretty much start putting it together.
    Good luck and happy hunting then

Bernie 2016!

Televator is offline Member

Are there any good places one can find physical copies of used PC games in reasonable abundance? I know of one store in my state that does just that (Bookman's), but I'd like to find more places. I know gamestop sells some used PC games, but they're more discriminatory about what they sell, thus their selection sux.

I'd like to find some Silent Hill PC games on the cheap, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
    If we are to trust Turkish hardwareinsider Donanimhaber, the pricing for AMD's new CPUs has been leaked.

According to the leaked table, we will see CPUs ranging from $70 for the lowest end Llano to $320 for the top of the line AMD Bulldozer.

See for yourself:

http://wccftech.com/2011/05/20/amd-b...mation-leaked/
    $320 isn't bad. Still waiting for the benchmarks though. I need to build a new system sometime in July so I'm certainly in the market for a Bulldozer if it stacks up.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

Quote Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
    Missed the parentheses? I said it's small compared to the Raven and the ATCS 840. Which it most definitely is.
    I wouldn't want those then. I didn't want a full tower to begin with. I had one, and feel it's WAY too big for my needs. However, after frying my last card because of lack of airflow...yeah, I upgraded.

The HAFX is huge. I personally love the cable management. It was nice to get this shit out of the way. It's the cleanest install I've ever done.

I also dig the easy accessible HDD slot on the front. I got two hot swappable bays already to go.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

$320 isn't bad. Still waiting for the benchmarks though. I need to build a new system sometime in July so I'm certainly in the market for a Bulldozer if it stacks up.
    According to the benchmarks I have seen, it is a tad slower than the i7-2600k to about the same speed (differing from one software to the other). It has the added benefit of having 8 physical cores, though.

My new blog just went online, btw.

http://www.gamepodunk.com/blog/112/e...cing-revealed/

Bernie 2016!

Damn. News got deleted again.

Apparently, PC hardware news aren't blogworthy and the video gaming intent isn't obvious enough.

Bernie 2016!

weasl is online now Member

I'm ghetto. I just upgraded to an Intel Duo 2 Quad 2.66 yesterday. Thankfully i've got x2 370's to keep it company
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

Quote Originally Posted by weasl View Post
    I'm ghetto. I just upgraded to an Intel Duo 2 Quad 2.66 yesterday. Thankfully i've got x2 370's to keep it company
    That's still one level above my hardware, lol.

What hardware did you play Final Fantasy XIV (14) with?

Bernie 2016!

Favelle is offline Member

That IS an awesome case. 1000x better than my 1999 Antec case. Its the one thing I NEVER upgrade. One day though!
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies

Favelle is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by weasl View Post
    That CPU is totally fine for current games. Its only the next-gen games that will truly start using multi-threads and start taxing our CPU's. Its all GPU-driven right now....
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies