Page 1162 of 1163 FirstFirst ... 1626621062111211521160116111621163 LastLast
Results 17,416 to 17,430 of 17444

My gorram computer is dead. Again! This time it looks like maybe the glitchy Mobo finally bit the dust? It powers on, but nothing happens, the Mobo doesn't post, it just hangs there with a 00 ('nothing') code on it. NCIX is closing up shop here, so I had to send it off all the way to the other side of the country, and they aren't even going to ship it there until Friday. So if I'm lucky, I'll get it back in the middle of September, hopefully with a brand new Mobo. If it screws up again regardless, I'll have to pay as my free service period ends in a few days as it is. So I guess if it had to break down and die, better now than a week from now.

Oh, and I might look into a decent mid-range (Around $800 to $1000 CAN) laptop to get me by for the time being. I've never had much need for one, but going without my fancy computer for half a month is going to suck. I need something I can type on well enough (no flat keys) or at least transportable enough that I can take my old KB and mouse along with it.

I'll probably be looking into the local Best Buy and Costco for something decent.0
    Current Computer Rig; 6850k (OCed to 4.0GHz), MSI GTX 1080 Twin Frozr VI, Asus X99-A, 32GB 3200MHz Ram, 2x 500GB 850 EVOs SSDs (OS/Programs | High Priority Games), 1x6TB WD Black (Media), 1x4TB WD Black (Games). Bunch of externals.
    Peripherals; Acer Predator 27" QHD 144hz G-Sync & Asus 23" 120hz Monitors, HTC Vive, Logitech G933 Wireless 7.1 Headphones, Corsair K95 Platinum Mechanical KB, Glaive & Polaris RGBs
    Region Free Player: Sony BDP-S5100
    UHD Player: LG UP970

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of Death View Post
    My gorram computer is dead. Again! This time it looks like maybe the glitchy Mobo finally bit the dust?
    Oh man that SUCKS. Ok, so at this point since we had determined the last failure may have been the motherboard's fault, are you in a position where you can demand a different brand of board, such as an MSI? I think you can be persistent enough at this point.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

RM
    RM is offline Member

Aside from a machine not passing the smoke test, motherboard issues are the worst. Really sorry to hear you're having so much trouble.

Also have to agree with Krawk. I'm not against ASUS, but I've heard of a lot more issues with their hardware over the last two years than MSI, ASRock, or EVGA. It seems like ASUS used to be the top brand and really killed it for a while, but they've started to go downhill in recent years.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

When I first started building my own PCs, I started with ASUS. I had nothing but issues with them. I switched to a DFi, and immediately saw vast improvements all around in terms of performance. The only issue with DFI was the glitch ass BIOs. Which, mostly is a non-issue if you aren't OCing to the deathnail of your hardware. As, it happened to pass incorrect voltages when breaking a certain barrier. Still, no regrets in swapping the poor performing Asus.

I haven't gone back to them. I'm currently on my third build which is a EVGA board and though the firmware and BIOs can be annoying at times...I still feel the performance is there.

Also, might sound odd, but how old is your power supply? Have you checked it? I RMA'd three mobos when building my last one when it finally dawned on me to check the PSU. It was bad and needed to be replaced.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

RM
    RM is offline Member

He bought a new PC from scratch just a year or so ago, assembled by NCIX. So this is not on him at all - it's squarely their issue to resolve.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    I'm not against ASUS, but I've heard of a lot more issues with their hardware over the last two years than MSI, ASRock, or EVGA.
    I partially destroyed an ASUS board that was probably 7 years old or so by updating the BIOS. This board had one of those foolproof/unbreakable/recoverable Bioses but yet it went dead during a routine operation. ASUS did not accept any blame and was asking for $150 to assess this. I laughed it off, went on ebay and paid $8 for a replacement Bios chip from a 3rd party. It was a hand-me-down build I gave to my mother so I was not looking at replacing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    When I first started building my own PCs, I started with ASUS. I had nothing but issues with them. I switched to a DFi, and immediately saw vast improvements all around in terms of performance.
    DFI - showing your years as a PC builder here, do they even exist anymore?

Also, might sound odd, but how old is your power supply? Have you checked it? I RMA'd three mobos when building my last one when it finally dawned on me to check the PSU. It was bad and needed to be replaced.
    During the initial build I questioned the PSU as it seemed that this build would be within the wattage range but still pushing a couple of limits. Not all WATTS are created equal. Without reverse-engineering the build to conclude that for example a 3.3 Volt line might be being pushed to the limit it's pretty much a bunch of second guessing and speculating here. The components chosen for the build should theoretically work just fine. I have argued in the past that you should buy the biggest power supply you can afford for the build and aim for a 40% or so sweet spot. Power supplies run more efficiently at the 40-50 % range and you can be pretty sure that a specific voltage range is not being overdrawn current wise. If you have a system that needs 450 Watts and buy a 500 Watt power supply, honestly there is no guarantee it will even power up as like I said, a specific voltage rail has a current limit and you could exceed it.

I doubt I'll be able to get them to change the board completely, unless that model (Sabertooth X99-A II) is no longer available. Policy and all that. If they don't have that model in stock, they'll replace it with an equivalent of equal or lesser value (if it costs more, I think they'll charge me, though they'll confirm with me before doing so).

But yeah, learned my lesson. I don't plan on buying anything Asus ever again if I can avoid it. Shame though, they really were pretty much the tops at one point.

Also I ordered a Dell Laptop to keep me company for the time being, though for some reason they only offer free ground shipping on the order, so I won't get it until the 5th it's estimated. I used this ~3 weeks without my main computer to justify finally getting a lappy. I'm not a fan of Dell (they had a reputation for making it impossible for people to repair and upgrade their own rigs by way of using mirrored hardware and soldering parts on), but the issues aren't really applicable to laptops. Their service record is second only to Apple, I'll have a year of on-site servicing for any hardware issues.

It's a Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming (Intel). Some of the specs:

i7-7700HQ Quad Core (6MB Cache, up to 3.8 GHz)
    NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1050Ti with 4GB GDDR5
    128GB Solid State Drive (Boot)
    1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
    16GB of 2400MHz RAM.

Some sort of promotion was going on and they knocked off something like $270CAN from the price. Still hurts the old bank account something fierce, especially as I haven't been a good boy with my money this past month as it is. I have the money in the bank, but things are going to be a bit tight for a month or two, if I have any things I MUST HAVE cropping up between now and winter.

If you discount Overclocking on the desktop CPU, this laptop is capable of exceeding the clock speed of my desktop rig (which has an i7-6850k). The base clock is 2.8GHz (turbo is 3.8GHz), and it is hyperthreaded so it's quite respectable for a laptop. The 1050ti is a decent gaming card, and the mobile version performs almost identically to the desktop version. It also runs with a low enough power it doesn't even need its own dedicated power cable, it runs right off the PCI-e. From user benchmarks I saw online, it's basically equal to or better than my old computer's GTX 570, except for handling reflections and no PhysX, and having triple the VRAM of my model (which had 1.35GB versus the 1050ti's 4GB)). As the display with be a 1080p IPS, it should have no problem running most modern games on ultra/very-high above 30FPS, and a fairly stable 60FPS+ in most cases.

I'm out of room in my Signature. Going to have to remove some details if I want to include this laptop in it.
    Current Computer Rig; 6850k (OCed to 4.0GHz), MSI GTX 1080 Twin Frozr VI, Asus X99-A, 32GB 3200MHz Ram, 2x 500GB 850 EVOs SSDs (OS/Programs | High Priority Games), 1x6TB WD Black (Media), 1x4TB WD Black (Games). Bunch of externals.
    Peripherals; Acer Predator 27" QHD 144hz G-Sync & Asus 23" 120hz Monitors, HTC Vive, Logitech G933 Wireless 7.1 Headphones, Corsair K95 Platinum Mechanical KB, Glaive & Polaris RGBs

RM
    RM is offline Member

I've been on Dell laptops for a decade with my work machines. Granted it's just office work, but I don't have a single complaint as a user. They've been rock solid for me.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    DFI - showing your years as a PC builder here, do they even exist anymore?
    I built my first PC when I was 20 years old. I had upgraded and tweaked the family computer starting around 15. I remember getting the 9700 non-plus and flashing it to a plus. I sweated when I did that. I mean, my income was non-existent. So, that card was expensive to experiment with. DFI would be the second Mobo I would try out after the Asus failed to meet FPS specs promised with said build. I think this was with the AMD X2 4400? Because my second build out of College was a Hackintosh and I used Gigabyte board for that. Basically, the difference between running Doom 3 on the Asus and DFi was night and day.

Still Fear was an unoptimized POS. That game made me go console. I had $1000+ hardware and that game ran like poop and didn't look good enough to warrant the poor performance.
    Last edited by twonunpackmule; 08-30-2017 at 01:50 PM.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of Death View Post
    I doubt I'll be able to get them to change the board completely, unless that model (Sabertooth X99-A II) is no longer available. Policy and all that. If they don't have that model in stock, they'll replace it with an equivalent of equal or lesser value (if it costs more, I think they'll charge me, though they'll confirm with me before doing so).
    I realize the board failure is not necessarily their fault but you as a customer, one that paid them to build it should be able to call and speak with them and convince them you are tired of the downtime and want to try a different board, such as an MSI.

Re: Dell Laptops - usually one from them direct is a solid machine. Some of the mass merchant (Best Buy, Walmart) versions might be caca.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Re: Dell Laptops - usually one from them direct is a solid machine. Some of the mass merchant (Best Buy, Walmart) versions might be caca.
    I ordered from them direct. Best Buy and Amazon Canada didn't have the greatest selection for my uses (a decent gaming capable laptop that wasn't like $2000 CAN or more). I was also looking for specific lines, none of which were available for at or below the MRSP, if they were available at all.

Bundlestars.com is having a week of Star Deals. Huge discounts all week.

Today's title is Mad Max for $3.89
    https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/mad-max

Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force,
    $7.49, regular price $49.99
    https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/...ent-dark-force

Bundle Stars is offering 50 Steam games for $1.
    Some of them are pretty good.
    https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundl...monster-bundle

Also 100 Atari Games for $2.99. Some are 2600, some are arcade.
    https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/atari-vault