Go Back   High-Def Digest Forums > Games > Gaming Smackdown
Reload this Page So whats up, My PS3 won't connect online yet my 360 and wii do.
Reply 
Page 3 of 5 << First 1 2 3 4 5 Last>>
Results 31 to 45 of 75
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,323
    There should be no issues with leases. If your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 you are using a Class C network which allows up to 256 devices. This would not be the issue.
    Setup

    360 gamertag = pooster
  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gothaaaam City
    Posts
    35,340
    I had this happen to me when I first booted up my PS3 and I think I had to reset the modem....
    Don't Reach, Young Blood

    Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,519
    Quote Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
    Well the solution that almost worked was stealing my 360's IP... they'll never be on at the sametime. I would like to avoid using my router just because it has NAT problems but if it comes to that I'll upgrade the firmware and give it a go.

    I don't want to waste more time on this (2 hours last night) so i'm going to try the modem reboot and hope for the best tonight to start.
    Depending on the type of switch, the same IP address going to two different devices on different ports could royally screw things up (even if one is off)....The MAC hardware addresses of the 360 and PS3 are unique and switch will get confused if they both map to the same IP.
  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Middleburg Hts. Ohio
    Posts
    22,851
    Quote Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
    There should be no issues with leases. If your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 you are using a Class C network which allows up to 256 devices. This would not be the issue.
    255.255.254.0 is the subnet, not sure that it matters. I think rebooting it will work. I should have last night but I was tired.
    XBL: Phil Collins117
    PSN ID: kickingtotalass
    www.kickingtotalass.com
    I survived Delusions of Grandeur '07
    Follow me on Twitter or Die
    Only Other Member of the I Have Two Three Demon's Souls Platinums Club
  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,519
    Why are you subnetting with a .254 mask? It will work ,but that allows 512 hosts, and is a little unorthodox.

    Your subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0
  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by macd23 View Post
    Why are you subnetting with a .254 mask? It will work ,but that allows 512 hosts, and is a little unorthodox.

    Your subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0
    255.255.254.0 is a class B network which allows for up to 512 hosts (this is probably how Time Warner subnets their external IP's). I would like to know the make and model number of his modem. I've never come across a cable modem that acts a router so this is new to me.
    Setup

    360 gamertag = pooster
  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Middleburg Hts. Ohio
    Posts
    22,851
    Quote Originally Posted by macd23 View Post
    Why are you subnetting with a .254 mask? It will work ,but that allows 512 hosts, and is a little unorthodox.

    Your subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0
    I didn't set the subnet the ISP did. That's just the default they used then. I've got the high end cable package, not sure if that's a feature.
    XBL: Phil Collins117
    PSN ID: kickingtotalass
    www.kickingtotalass.com
    I survived Delusions of Grandeur '07
    Follow me on Twitter or Die
    Only Other Member of the I Have Two Three Demon's Souls Platinums Club
  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Middleburg Hts. Ohio
    Posts
    22,851
    Quote Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
    255.255.254.0 is a class B network which allows for up to 512 hosts (this is probably how Time Warner subnets their external IP's). I would like to know the make and model number of his modem. I've never come across a cable modem that acts a router so this is new to me.
    I will let you know when I get home tonight. About 8 hours from now when i'm done at the gym.

    I do appreciate the good info from all of you. I hope to skate buy without using the router. Seems like the switch would make for better online gaming and it's kinda the reason I wanted to use it.

    Edit: Also I called time warner to see how many leases i'm allowed on my account etc.

    1 hour wait time and they'll call me back within 2 hours. So we'll see, i'm also going to see about getting the latest router from them.
    XBL: Phil Collins117
    PSN ID: kickingtotalass
    www.kickingtotalass.com
    I survived Delusions of Grandeur '07
    Follow me on Twitter or Die
    Only Other Member of the I Have Two Three Demon's Souls Platinums Club
  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
    I don't think it's a ISP problem since my other devices do connect when they're turned on each time. If I was pulling DHCP while my 360 and HDA-20 were off shouldn't that open up an address with my ISP???

    Because they sure to work everytime and they are NOT static.
    ISP's authorize IP addresses on their DHCP servers via MAC (media access control) address. Whether you receive a dynamic or static IP address is a mute point in this discussion. Each network device has it's own unique MAC address, which are static and unique to each device. The MAC address for your 360, Wii, HDA-20 and your PC have all been authorized by your ISP's DHCP server to receive a valid IP lease. Your PS3 has a different MAC address than the other devices, so it is not allowed to recieve an IP lease, even when you force it to use the same IP address that your 360 gets assigned. Your ISP has cut you off from enabling anymore MAC addresses on their network.

    You are correct though, it is not an ISP problem. It's yours. The error code is common and all the solutions point to user problems. It's either the network settings or firmware issues. You do know that a router is a just a switch with DHCP, NAT and a few other options built into it?

    Considering that this is the very base level of TCP/IP networking and you fail to comprehend it, you still fall into the network noob category.
  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NE Philly
    Posts
    2,966
    Quote Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
    I've never come across a cable modem that acts a router so this is new to me.
    I knew someone that had an all-in-one modem/router. It was a relative to an ex so no chance of finding out make and model... sorry
    this message was brought to you by MrE™
    WARNING: may contain Sarcasm and/or Bad Spelling
  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,519
    Quote Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
    I didn't set the subnet the ISP did. That's just the default they used then. I've got the high end cable package, not sure if that's a feature.
    ok well bottom line the only thing that should have the ISP assigned address, subnet mask and gateway is the router.............all other devices should use private addresses, typically in the 192.168.1.x subnet.
  12. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenreaper View Post
    ISP's authorize IP addresses on their DHCP servers via MAC (media access control) address. Whether you receive a dynamic or static IP address is a mute point in this discussion. Each network device has it's own unique MAC address, which are static and unique to each device. The MAC address for your 360, Wii, HDA-20 and your PC have all been authorized by your ISP's DHCP server to receive a valid IP lease. Your PS3 has a different MAC address than the other devices, so it is not allowed to recieve an IP lease, even when you force it to use the same IP address that your 360 gets assigned. Your ISP has cut you off from enabling anymore MAC addresses on their network.

    You are correct though, it is not an ISP problem. It's yours. The error code is common and all the solutions point to user problems. It's either the network settings or firmware issues. You do know that a router is a just a switch with DHCP, NAT and a few other options built into it?

    Considering that this is the very base level of TCP/IP networking and you fail to comprehend it, you still fall into the network noob category.
    A) how do you know that his modem is dishing out multiple external addresses and he has reached his limit?

    B) Without having all the info my gues would be that his modem has one external address and has DHCP built in for assigning internal adresses. If this is true then the limit on the number of devices he could assign could be more then 200 and his PS3 should work with no issues. I agree with most people in the first step he should take is resetting his router.
    Setup

    360 gamertag = pooster
  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,519
    Even if his ISP is assigning multiple addresses, I wouldn't think he'd want any home device hanging out there on the public internet if he can avoid it....Stick with a router/firewall and private IPs on all devices (ps3, 360, wii, pc, etc).
  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Middleburg Hts. Ohio
    Posts
    22,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenreaper View Post
    You are correct though, it is not an ISP problem. It's yours. The error code is common and all the solutions point to user problems. It's either the network settings or firmware issues. You do know that a router is a just a switch with DHCP, NAT and a few other options built into it?

    Considering that this is the very base level of TCP/IP networking and you fail to comprehend it, you still fall into the network noob category.
    Actually it seems to be a PS3 problem. Considering the problem also is VERY prominent in routers (google the error code)... yeah that kills that theory. I know the basics buddy, I did some VLAN work in my day I know all about mac addresses and the like. Sure it's not my day job and i'm no expert but a noob wouldn't have gotten this far, or even understand the shit, get off your high horse.

    It's clear you've finally run into a situation you might be a superior in so you're being an ass.

    I've already established my router needed a firmware upgrade being the NAT is f'd, but considering it doesn't have enough ports anyhow i'd rather not include it. Rebooting my modem will likely resolve the issue.
    XBL: Phil Collins117
    PSN ID: kickingtotalass
    www.kickingtotalass.com
    I survived Delusions of Grandeur '07
    Follow me on Twitter or Die
    Only Other Member of the I Have Two Three Demon's Souls Platinums Club
  15. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SPARTA!!!
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
    A) how do you know that his modem is dishing out multiple external addresses and he has reached his limit?

    B) Without having all the info my gues would be that his modem has one external address and has DHCP built in for assigning internal adresses. If this is true then the limit on the number of devices he could assign could be more then 200 and his PS3 should work with no issues. I agree with most people in the first step he should take is resetting his router.
    Except that if his cable modem is giving him IP addresses, wouldn't they be non-routable IPs like 192.168.1.xxx or 10.0.0.xxx?
    Dusto
    dustoman (at) gmail (dot) com
    GamerTag and PSN: DustoMan
    Origin makes me angry.
    Founder: The High-Def Digest Group On Steam

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts