Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Plissken99's Avatar
    Plissken99 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,218

    Default The Hobbit vs Lord of the Rings

    I finished the extended Hobbit trilogy and started LOTR tonight. I knew it from the 1st time I saw The Hobbit, but Lotr is sooooooo much better! Having watched the mountain of extras at one point; Lotr was a passion project and it shows in every frame and especially the sound design. Hobbit relies too much on CGI, no way around it, it looks faker than lotr. The Hobbit also has bland sound design, yeah great music, solid sword clashes and arrow swooshes. However in lotr the surrounds are constantly active with birds, wind, insects, footsteps. It might be the most immersive track I know of. Really feels like the difference between giving a shit and not.

    That's just the technical end, which I feel is noteworthy in terms of inferiority rather than the narrative. That being said, the bloat they introduced to the narrative to fill 3 movies is ridiculous. The Dwarf with minimal make up(most human looking) gets a shoehorned in love story with an Elf maiden because.. it fills 20 minutes of screen time? Orlando Bloom wears 10 years worth of partying on his face, despite the heavy make up(my display reveals all). Since his character is inserted needlessly, only to make lotr fans go "hey there's Legolas!"

    Perhaps Jackson really should have let someone else direct. The parallels between him and George Lucas are staggering.
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

  2. #2
    Boston007's Avatar
    Boston007 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9,902

    Default

    You can't even compare the movies, the LOTR trilogy is so much much better than the Hobbit movies.

  3. #3
    Krawk's Avatar
    Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    10,609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    You can't even compare the movies, the LOTR trilogy is so much much better than the Hobbit movies.
    You can't even compare the books either so it remains clear why the LOTR movies are better than The Hobbit movies.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

  4. #4
    Boston007's Avatar
    Boston007 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    You can't even compare the books either so it remains clear why the LOTR movies are better than The Hobbit movies.
    LOL good point

  5. #5
    Favelle's Avatar
    Favelle is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Victoria, BC - Canada
    Posts
    18,155

    Default

    Not so much the books for me....LOTR seemed disjointed and over long in book form. I love to read, LOTR was not something I loved.

    Movies? I loved LOTR. Loved it. I liked The Hobbit....but clearly because of LOTR. You could tell LOTR was a passion project for PJ. And conversely you could tell that The Hobbit was an obligation for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies

  6. #6
    twonunpackmule's Avatar
    twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    2-D Theater
    Posts
    32,243

    Default

    LOTR is so much better as a novel. Hobbit too. However, it's cliche to have the statement the book is better.


    So, as films, LOTR is okay. I feel they get worse as they go. But, The Hobbit is pure garbage and the perfect example of someone making films as a product and not entertainment. Nobody is entertained by those films.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

    Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

  7. #7
    Boston007's Avatar
    Boston007 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    LOTR is so much better as a novel. Hobbit too. However, it's cliche to have the statement the book is better.


    So, as films, LOTR is okay. I feel they get worse as they go.
    I thought Two Towers was actually the best of the three, then Fellowship then Return. BUT, all three were excellent, IMO

    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    But, The Hobbit is pure garbage and the perfect example of someone making films as a product and not entertainment. Nobody is entertained by those films.
    I agree completely

  8. #8
    twonunpackmule's Avatar
    twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    2-D Theater
    Posts
    32,243

    Default

    I walked out of Two Towers fucking angry. Return is just not edited right. Like, there's just a lot of errors. It only gets worse when they extended it.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

    Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

  9. #9
    nodehead is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    You can't even compare the movies, the LOTR trilogy is so much much better than the Hobbit movies.
    definitely agree with you, LOTR is awesome

  10. #10
    Favelle's Avatar
    Favelle is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Victoria, BC - Canada
    Posts
    18,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    I thought Two Towers was actually the best of the three, then Fellowship then Return. BUT, all three were excellent, IMO



    I agree completely
    I agree. Two Towers was better on initial viewing....however on nostalgia-viewing, I'll take Fellowship.
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.1 PL1