Plissken99 is offline Member

Default The Hobbit vs Lord of the Rings

I finished the extended Hobbit trilogy and started LOTR tonight. I knew it from the 1st time I saw The Hobbit, but Lotr is sooooooo much better! Having watched the mountain of extras at one point; Lotr was a passion project and it shows in every frame and especially the sound design. Hobbit relies too much on CGI, no way around it, it looks faker than lotr. The Hobbit also has bland sound design, yeah great music, solid sword clashes and arrow swooshes. However in lotr the surrounds are constantly active with birds, wind, insects, footsteps. It might be the most immersive track I know of. Really feels like the difference between giving a shit and not.

That's just the technical end, which I feel is noteworthy in terms of inferiority rather than the narrative. That being said, the bloat they introduced to the narrative to fill 3 movies is ridiculous. The Dwarf with minimal make up(most human looking) gets a shoehorned in love story with an Elf maiden because.. it fills 20 minutes of screen time? Orlando Bloom wears 10 years worth of partying on his face, despite the heavy make up(my display reveals all). Since his character is inserted needlessly, only to make lotr fans go "hey there's Legolas!"

Perhaps Jackson really should have let someone else direct. The parallels between him and George Lucas are staggering.
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

Boston007 is offline Member

You can't even compare the movies, the LOTR trilogy is so much much better than the Hobbit movies.

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    You can't even compare the movies, the LOTR trilogy is so much much better than the Hobbit movies.
    You can't even compare the books either so it remains clear why the LOTR movies are better than The Hobbit movies.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    You can't even compare the books either so it remains clear why the LOTR movies are better than The Hobbit movies.
    LOL good point

Favelle is offline Member

Not so much the books for me....LOTR seemed disjointed and over long in book form. I love to read, LOTR was not something I loved.

Movies? I loved LOTR. Loved it. I liked The Hobbit....but clearly because of LOTR. You could tell LOTR was a passion project for PJ. And conversely you could tell that The Hobbit was an obligation for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

LOTR is so much better as a novel. Hobbit too. However, it's cliche to have the statement the book is better.

So, as films, LOTR is okay. I feel they get worse as they go. But, The Hobbit is pure garbage and the perfect example of someone making films as a product and not entertainment. Nobody is entertained by those films.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

LOTR is so much better as a novel. Hobbit too. However, it's cliche to have the statement the book is better.

So, as films, LOTR is okay. I feel they get worse as they go.
    I thought Two Towers was actually the best of the three, then Fellowship then Return. BUT, all three were excellent, IMO

But, The Hobbit is pure garbage and the perfect example of someone making films as a product and not entertainment. Nobody is entertained by those films.
    I agree completely

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

I walked out of Two Towers fucking angry. Return is just not edited right. Like, there's just a lot of errors. It only gets worse when they extended it.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

nodehead is offline Member

definitely agree with you, LOTR is awesome

Favelle is offline Member

I thought Two Towers was actually the best of the three, then Fellowship then Return. BUT, all three were excellent, IMO

I agree completely
    I agree. Two Towers was better on initial viewing....however on nostalgia-viewing, I'll take Fellowship.
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies