Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    paaron46 is offline Movie Dude

Default Roger Ebert Dead at 70

This is very sad news today.

The world has lost one of its best writers.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1...th-cancer.html

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

Yea, I'm particularly bummed out about this. One of my aspirations when starting out on my career was to get a film reviewed by him. Good or bad.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

No more reviews. No more blog articles. No more books. Man, I loved his writing. Even when it had nothing to do with movies.

I think I'll go read "Life Itself" again. (With a box of tissues this time.)

bigsef3 is offline Member

Wow. I know he's been struggling for cancer for years, so i should have seen this coming, but i have to say i'm shocked. Like paaron46, i absolutely loved his writing. In recent years i feel he was far too kind in reviewing horrible movies, giving them much higher ratings than they deserved, but his reviews were always those i reviewed first. Aside from stupid no-brain summer action movies that Ebert would, for some reason, give 3 stars when they deserved 1-2, i generally found that my tastes aligned with his. If he recommended a movie, i was going to go see it. Although disagreed with some of the personal beleifs he expressed in his blog over the years, i always respected the logical way he reached his conclusions. He made solid arguments. I know this is an odd comparison to make, but in many ways his writing style reminded me of Sir Isaac Asimov, atleast his non-fiction work. Ebert was a joy to read. I will genuinely miss him.

taygan315 is offline Member

I remember watching Siskel and Ebert. Miss those days. Sad to see Siskel go and now Ebert. At least they are together again...probably going at it from one film critic to another. So sad to hear this. RIP Mr. Ebert. Thank you for your insight and opinions on everything film. Thank you for helping pave the way for present and future critics and writers of film.
    Last edited by taygan315; 04-05-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    My mancave:

Display - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
    Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590, Sony PS3 320GB
    Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd), MacBook Pro 17" i5 750GB

Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)

"When your winning, fight like your losing"

Hastor is offline Member

Very sad. He helped me come to love movies. He did a special on TV that taught me what Pan&Scan was, prompting me to buy a laserdisc player in 9th grade.

He personally responded to several of my emails, even printing one in the Sun Times. In one private email, he said that he wished all his readers approached his reviews like me (getting to know what he likes, and how it relates to what I like, rather than expecting to agree on everything). I've read his site every week since 1998. I'll miss him greatly.
    Blu-Ray: Panasonic DMP-BDT220
    HD-DVD: Xbox360 HD-DVD Drive
    HD Gaming: PS4, PS3, Xbox360, Wii U, PC, Ouya, PS Vita
    TV: Sony KDL-55W900A
    Audio: Yamaha RX-A1040BL

Quote Originally Posted by Hastor View Post
    He personally responded to several of my emails, even printing one in the Sun Times. In one private email, he said that he wished all his readers approached his reviews like me (getting to know what he likes, and how it relates to what I like, rather than expecting to agree on everything). I've read his site every week since 1998. I'll miss him greatly.
    That's pretty amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Very sad news. Even in Australia he was well known.

Super-VHS is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
    No more reviews. No more blog articles. No more books. Man, I loved his writing. Even when it had nothing to do with movies.

I think I'll go read "Life Itself" again. (With a box of tissues this time.)
    I was going to post something eerily similar, Aaron.

So, instead of that, I'll leave this:
    "Did I ever tell you I was struck by lightning seven times?"

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

I love his commentary for Dark City. His assessment on Special Effects and their proper use, is something I wish Michael Bay would take to heart.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

The chapter in "Life Itself" entitled "Blackie" is some of the most poignant writing and thoughts I've read in quite a while.

Attebery is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
    The chapter in "Life Itself" entitled "Blackie" is some of the most poignant writing and thoughts I've read in quite a while.
    One of my favorites. I've linked to it in the story on the front page. I actually preferred the original version he posted on his blog in 2009.
    Check out my author website and
    get a free copy of BRICK RANSOM!
    www.mikeattebery.com

Boston007 is online now Member

RIP
    He and Siskel(sp?) made me appreciate films growing up

Tnecniv is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
    I remember watching Siskel and Ebert. Miss those days. Sad to see Siskel go and now Ebert. At least they are together again...probably going at it from one film critic to another. So sad to hear this. RIP Mr. Ebert. Thank you for your insight and opinions on everything film. Thank you for help pave the way for present and future critics and writers of film.
    I was pretty young at the time but I still remember watching that show as a kid with my older sister during the late 80s. My sister and I have been movie buffs/dorks for as long as I can remember.

RIP RE
    Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even God has never seen.

We're breeding a race of moral midgets.

Travelingman is offline Member

For decades I've laughed at this guy, shook my head at this guy, sometimes shook my fist at this guy, but I so totally respected his opinions. I knew this day would be coming, but it still hurts. There will never be another one quite like him. Dude, RIP, and I hope you enjoy watching Citizen Kane and the free vanilla Haagen Daz upstairs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast