Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Harbinger is offline Member

Default The year for 3D?

Wow, reading engadget today and this year seems to be the year for 3D.

I'm still not sure why it's being pushed so much, but at this rate, we'll probably be seeing 3D adoption outpacing HD adoption.

What's everyones thoughts on it all?
    Skadoosh.

Tommy is offline Member

I simply wanna know how there supposed to fit up to 50% more data per disc without reducing quality. Sort of defeats my whole investment in blu-ray if they lower bitrates and further compress the data now.

Lee Stewart is offline Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Yep - CES is chock full of 3D announcements:

New 3DTV's
    New 3D BD players
    New 3D channels

Looks like the actual kick off will be this summer.

Master X is offline Member

No, People didnt rush out for Blu ray and they sure arent going to rush out for 3D. Blu is doing good now because players are cheaper.
    3D will cost alot more then what people are willing to pay for. Give it 3-5 years before it becomes big. IMHO.

I do plan to get a new TV this year but I doubt Im going to fork out the cash for a 3D TV. I dont plan to spend more then $700.
    Xbox Live : AXIOS x117x

maley is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master X View Post
    No, People didnt rush out for Blu ray and they sure arent going to rush out for 3D. Blu is doing good now because players are cheaper.
    3D will cost alot more then what people are willing to pay for. Give it 3-5 years before it becomes big. IMHO.

I do plan to get a new TV this year but I doubt Im going to fork out the cash for a 3D TV. I dont plan to spend more then $700.
    Yea you won't get a 3D TV for that price.

3D channels this year aren't even going to be 24/7 channels. They're going to be registered and then have specific events.

I'll wait 2-4 years for a 3D HDTV.

1) Technology will be better/more reliable
    2) Cheaper
    3) I just bought a 50v10

Blckman is offline Member

Yeah. I love your comments you all. I just posted some information in this year's CES section. You have to go to cnet.com and look at that Sony Bravia 3D TV series it looks sick. Peace...
    Toshiba 51H83(1080i)
    Klipsch Pro Media 2.1(THX Certified)
    Viewsonic 1080p 21.5" Monitor(HDMI and Ecofriendly)
    LG HD DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive
    Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2(8GB + 32GB MicroSD Card=40GB)
    Samsung 40-inch 3D Television
    Three Computers(One HTPC with 91 OTA Stations, Acer Laptop, Another Desktop)
    Over 200 Physical PC Games
    God Is Good All The Time

IMO, I think it's too early to get 3D TVs/BD players out. Although players and TVs have come down significantly, they're not to the point of how CRT TVs and non HDMI DVD players were.

Or maybe in the grand scheme of things, 3D monitors and players might be the things that help push regular TVs and players down to near DVD players?

And to be completely honest, there aren't that many good 3D movies out to justify buying 3D tech anyway. And with some of the good ones, such as Coraline, it just means there's gonna be double dipping in order to get the "better" 3D experience.

I'm happy with my 120Hz Samsung. It has a decent refresh rate and I love the color output. I prefer live motion to 3D. And who's not to say 3D TVs who succumb to 120Hz models after the initial release of the first gen models?

Oh well, maybe when I'm done with school, I'll be able to afford whatever's top of the line.
    Samsung LN-T4069F 40" 120Hz HDTV
    Pioneer VSX-820K
    Fronts: Yamaha NS-A738 x 2
    Center: Yamaha NS-AC40X
    Rears: Klipsch KSP-S6 x2
    (<100) - Toshiba XA2 - (37) - Panasonic DMP BD65P-K
    I learned everything I needed to know frm G.I. Joe!

Diablo is offline Member

Too much of an investment is required. A new TV, Receiver or Prepro with HDMI 1.4, new Blu-ray player, new HDMI cables, and glasses that give me a headache spells FLOP to me. Instead they should come out with a holigraphic device instead.

RM
    RM is online now Member

The studios realized they couldn't use Blu-ray and HDTVs as a premium products to strip the consumer of extra profit. They had to make Blu-ray the replacement for DVD because the sales of that format are falling off faster than expected. And the HDTV market is now very competitive and the margins have dropped significantly. So as a way of getting a premium product out there, they are pushing 3D tech which will have the higher margins that help boost their profitability.

Don't mistake what the industry is pushing for what the public is interested in. We won't know weather 3D is a relative success or not for another 2-3 years.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, BenQ 27" Quad HD monitor, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Columbo345 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
    Too much of an investment is required. A new TV, Receiver or Prepro with HDMI 1.4, new Blu-ray player, new HDMI cables, and glasses that give me a headache spells FLOP to me. Instead they should come out with a holigraphic device instead.
    It is too much. I just realized that we need to buy a new receiver if we want to still continue hearing our 3D movies in lossless audio.

I mean, this is just too expensive. Having to buy 5 expensive pieces of equipment just to sit down and watch Avatar 3D? (in many cases rebuying equipment)

I was going to be an early adopter, but the receiver requirement might have killed my enthusiasm. Also, while HMDI 1.3 is possible with 3D, it's downgraded, so looks like our PS3s may not be ideal for 3D viewing

Harbinger is offline Member

The AVR thing isn't as huge of an issue to me, because I'll probably be buying a new one in 18 months or so to get one with networking features and pre-outs, but I certainly won't spend more than an extra $200 or so for a 3D ready set. IMO, they should figure out how to get the glasses out of the equation if they want people to buy them.
    Skadoosh.

atari52 is offline Member

I do not understand why we need this now. Blu-ray is now just starting to take hold. The cost of Blu-Ray is coming down. You can get Blu-ray movies for the same cost of SD movies. Everyone that has a new HDTV now will have to replace it with a new 3D HDTV set. You will also have to have a new Blu-Ray player. Does anyone know what the cost of the new Blu-Ray 3D Blu-Ray movies will cost. I think this is going to be a big mess. What are the electronic stores going to do when the word gets out that you need a new tv? I do not think this will catch on. I think we should leave the 3D to the movies. Besides is this not why we go to the movies.

ToddS is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by atari52 View Post
    I do not understand why we need this now. Blu-ray is now just starting to take hold. The cost of Blu-Ray is coming down. You can get Blu-ray movies for the same cost of SD movies. Everyone that has a new HDTV now will have to replace it with a new 3D HDTV set. You will also have to have a new Blu-Ray player. Does anyone know what the cost of the new Blu-Ray 3D Blu-Ray movies will cost. I think this is going to be a big mess. What are the electronic stores going to do when the word gets out that you need a new tv? I do not think this will catch on. I think we should leave the 3D to the movies. Besides is this not why we go to the movies.
    Do we NEED anything in this hobby? NO. Your acting as if you MUST buy it which you obviously dont. Nobody has to replace their TVs that is enjoying BR right now, ONLY if you want the addition of 3d. It is just another option for entertainment, not a necessity I wont be able to afford it for a while most likely, but I fully support the option to have this in our homes.........3d and HT has the potential to be VERY cool

Juio is offline Member

This whole 3D thing is just a gimmick, a very expensive gimmick. Until they figure out how to make a 3D television without the need of 3D glasses, then I'll probably get one.

taygan315 is offline Member

I'm going to the Sony Style store where I live and experience the demo for myself. Hope I am impressed with what I will see. I will post my impressions later this weekend.
    My mancave:

Display - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
    Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590, Sony PS3 320GB
    Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd), MacBook Pro 17" i5 750GB

Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)

"When your winning, fight like your losing"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast