Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Klutch86 is offline Member

Default Any of the news from CES having you shift sides?

Not me (Hd-DVD). Just curious, though.

I am disappointed that there is no new studio support, though - for HD-DVD.

HarakoMeshi is offline Member

Nope, no bad news for Blu-ray. No bad news is good news.
    got Blu?

marzetta7 is offline Founding Member

Nope, not for me but I bet deep down there are those HD DVD supporters going, mmm...ah crap. after all the releases on BD both hardware and software.

jackinbox is offline Member

For me it has. A week ago I was really on board with that dual-format player. But the extra $700 just for HD-DVD support seems to be a waste. Especially after all the announcements at CES, BD is going to prevail. There's no question about it in my mind, although I realize they'll be 20 posts following this one telling me I'm wrong.

So the short answer is yes, I was going to go dual-format and now I'm sticking with BD.

marzetta7 is offline Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackinbox View Post
    For me it has. A week ago I was really on board with that dual-format player. But the extra $700 just for HD-DVD support seems to be a waste. Especially after all the announcements at CES, BD is going to prevail. There's no question about it in my mind, although I realize they'll be 20 posts following this one telling me I'm wrong.

So the short answer is yes, I was going to go dual-format and now I'm sticking with BD.
    Sounds very reasonable, and logical to me. I really can't see how others can find fault with it.

Feyd is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post
    Nope, not for me but I bet deep down there are those HD DVD supporters going, mmm...ah crap. after all the releases on BD both hardware and software.
    Can't you ever make a post without inciting something?

Aodh is offline Member

I'm still HD DVD because technically the players and content are better than Blu-ray. (And before I'm massacred by Maz and Doby) All the features which should have been standard on both systems from the start, were only available on HD DVD. Two video stream decoders, ethernet connection for online content, persistent memory for extras/bookmarks etc. I'm interested to see what happens with the online stuff this year and have been throughly impressed with the content I've purchased over the last two months.

My game plan is still on track, and I'll probably get a PS3 (still iffy) when FFXIII comes out depending on reviews and my financial situation. Might pickup whatever Blu-rays I couldn't get on HD DVD, but I won't be buying another HD player other than that. So I'm still HD DVD.

Blurry is offline The Ur-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Klutch86 View Post
    Not me (Hd-DVD). Just curious, though.

I am disappointed that there is no new studio support, though - for HD-DVD.
    No, I am very happy with HD DVD - and in any case I have always planned to buy into Blu-ray as well once dual format players are reasonable in price and deliver excellent performance and features for both formats.

As far as Studio support, Weinstein verified that they are exclusive to HD DVD and it is clear that New Line is also coming to HD DVD (which was not a given before). If New Line turns out to be exclusive (a big question mark at the moment, and nothing that I am counting on), then HD DVD can't possibly lose (though that does not mean that Blu-ray will lose either). If there is no mention of New Line at tonight's Blu-ray conference, then that is bad news for Blu-ray.

Nope, not switching. I'm not going to jump ship, having only seen a list of 5 or 6 of the 300+ expected releases for HD DVD this year. I want to see what the other 290 something titles are going to be.

sticks is offline Member

Not a chance of any shift here , still have 7/8ths. of the studios supporting and my sammy plays fine hehe.

firelizard is offline viva la HD!

Although we are still in the midst of CES, even though most of the major announcements appear to have been made. Going to stick with HD DVD for the time being, cost is still one of the cornerstones to my decision.

BD made a real strong push with new titles, which makes the BD platform real appetizing, but still player is costly to me. Wish Sony or one of it’s partners would make a less expensive player L

Toshiba is appears to still be running strong in my mind J
    HD Video & Sound is not the future it is NOW, spread the word!
    My Setup: Click Here
    “The Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”-Carl Sagan

Pisto is offline Founding Member

I was a BD supporter. Now, I am a BD supporter and a HD DVD-51 supporter (for the LOTR EE movies: I will avoid the 30 Gb versions).

So, I will get a PS3. And I will get a HD DVD player when it will be able to read HD DVD-51 discs.

The news :
    - Universal LG player (I think both sides will win)
    - 51 Gb HD DVD

rogue_nine82 is offline Member

Not me for the most part. The only reason I am even in this format war is because of the $200 add-on for the 360, as I will not be spending the $500-$600 for a PS3 or the Sammy. It is disheartening that more studios have not jumped ship but to be honest all this CES accomplished was that this is going to be a long drawn out fight between Blu-ray and HD DVD. Both sides have dug in pretty well and the dual format player has proven to be too expensive to matter. I may have tried to convince my wife to let me lay down $500 for that thing, but almost $1200 is out of the question. I don't know why LG didn't try to produce a lower end model to try to make it more cost competitive.

Gnome is offline Member

I don't really see how anything announced at CES should shift people's opinions. Nothing that I have seen announced so far has changed my opinion that Neither Format is going anywhere for a long long time, despite many BD proponents claiming clear superiority I just don't see it in the Sales Numbers. As I work in Marketing I understand that when you advertise, you try and put your best foot forward, you can interpret information to benefit you the most, but when it comes down to it, the sales are what are important.

Talk to me after next Christmas and we'll see what my opinion is then, we should have enough data to establish the impact the PS3 will have on BD sales and have a better idea of the future of each format, right now there is an utter lack of information for anyone to reasonably be able to say that either format has a clear advantage, or to say that either format is DEFINATELY going to win.

Pat H is offline Founding Member

I don't care if they announce 2000 new BD players, I'm still sticking with HD DVD. The price is right, and with some new manufacturers on board and a healthy 2007 release schedule, I still think HD DVD is going to edge out BD. So unless HD DVD dies, I won't be buying into Blu Ray.
    "The war is not over"

Universal, now Paramount...FOX anyone?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast