Page 7 of 7 << First ... 5 6 7
    Quote Originally Posted by micty View Post
    (42,000, right?).
    42,000 were numbers from the first 2 weeks of its launch in November. Current numbers seem to be in the 150,000 range. Though I don't think precise numbers are publicly known yet.
    150,000 in the US only, and thats not a bad number, way beyond what people were expecting.
    Nope, I'm still all Blu-Ray!
    CES has made me feel much better about my decision to go Blu...
    BD really didn't do a lot at CES but confirm that they're growing in both hardware and software fronts with most hardware supporters showing new players and all their studios announcing copious amounts of titles. The 200GB disc wasn't a surprise, but it also confirms they're still the leader in the technology department.

HD DVD did have Onkyo announce they were going to make a player, but they didn't announce when, price, and they didn't even have anything to show, which was disappointing. Meridian making a player is semi-big news. Bob Stuart of Meridian has publicly said he likes BD better because it offers 8 channels of MLP audio where HD DVD only has 3 channels, so it is an interesting turn. Lite-on's involvement is yet to be seen, but they're known mostly for bulk OEM product for computers, and that may be their entire short term commitment. Meridian and Onkyo are both BD supporters, but they haven't said anything yet about producing anything on BD. HD DVD only announced a few new titles, and the only big news as far as studio support is concern came from next door at the AEE (adult entertainment expo).

Apparently a lot of people on the AVS forum were shaken from the HD DVD tree by the BDA's announcement of over 600 titles in 2007 and HD DVD's lack of title support. Things must be different on these boards because nobody seems to care about software here.

I'm somewhat format agnostic, but I think blu-ray has the superior technology, superior market support, and superior distribution to win this thing. If it doesn't turn out that way, i don't really care, becaue HD DVD does have a quality product (something the HD DVD fanboys can't seem to say about BD even though all double blind studies showed PQ is equal).

For now, I have a PS3 I got for free, and Netflix giving me all the Blu-ray movies I want, so I'm happy. If BD dies, I haven't lost any money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
    42,000 were numbers from the first 2 weeks of its launch in November. Current numbers seem to be in the 150,000 range. Though I don't think precise numbers are publicly known yet.
    No, it's more around 115,000. remember, HD DVD said 175,000 included 60,000 Toshiba players and the rest were xbox add-ons, laptops and RCA players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpz View Post
    CES hasn't affected my opinion on the format war whatsoever. I am still supporting HD DVD and plan to go dual format within the year. Sad how the blu ray camp (most of) on this forum tend to be so....feisty
    Most bd supporters see no need to go dual format for basically one studio.
    Quote Originally Posted by glocks out View Post
    No, it's more around 115,000. remember, HD DVD said 175,000 included 60,000 Toshiba players and the rest were xbox add-ons, laptops and RCA players.

If that's the case the 150,000 number is probably units shipped and not units sold.
    That might be what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by casper77 View Post
    HD DVD all the way. I wont let studios run the way I watch movies like the BD camp will do if they win. With time studios will notice that HD DVD players sell better than BD players and are more affordable even than the least expensive PS3 and will start releasing mvies in HD DVD. And if HD DVD no more then I will turn my money into HD movie download through IPTV, but certainly will not be Blu ray.
    Wishfull thinking my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwellon View Post
    If that's the case the 150,000 number is probably units shipped and not units sold.
    MS and Sony count their numbers differently. Sony talks about their units shipped, MS counts the number of units sold to retailers.
    FYI all, I'm closing this CES sub-forum to new messages. See you next year!