Default PS3 using both Component cables and HDMI

Does anyone know if you can use component cables for the video and run the sound thru the HDMI.

I have a projector that only has the component video so thats what I hooked up for the video portion. I have a HDMI pass thru reciever and have the hdmi hooked up hoping to get the best sound possible. But neither are working. I have no picture and no sound.

I have set the video and sound to each from the PS3 menu's and can't figure out what's wrong.

ANyone else running this kind of config or know what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance

Sam
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBeckett View Post
    Does anyone know if you can use component cables for the video and run the sound thru the HDMI.

I have a projector that only has the component video so thats what I hooked up for the video portion. I have a HDMI pass thru reciever and have the hdmi hooked up hoping to get the best sound possible. But neither are working. I have no picture and no sound.

I have set the video and sound to each from the PS3 menu's and can't figure out what's wrong.

ANyone else running this kind of config or know what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance

Sam
    Good evening Dr. Beckett, I hope you journey wasn't too long. How is Jimmy?

Don't really know but I'm running it with the HDMI to the display and the optical to the receiver(it doesn't have HDMI on it). I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it since it gives you the option to set audio out separate from the video out put. All I can say is just give it a shot, but if you have an optical input on your receiver then that is the better way to go since the level is going to be higher and a lot cleaner signal than RCA inputs.
    To hell with it, it is all just an opinion....

PSN: fistandantilust
    I seem to remember reading something about not being able to use the multi-out & hmdi at the same time, but I may be mistaken.

Have you tried/can you runn A&V on hdmi to your receiver then component from that to your projector?

Oherwise you may be restricted to using component & optical for the sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by holsty101 View Post
    I seem to remember reading something about not being able to use the multi-out & hmdi at the same time, but I may be mistaken.

Have you tried/can you runn A&V on hdmi to your receiver then component from that to your projector?

Oherwise you may be restricted to using component & optical for the sound.
    If you didn't read my post you can use component and HDMI with the sound being directed through the optical output. I use to run it like that before I discovered that DVDs would not be upscaled through component connection and ONLY through HDMI. That being said I do believe that the optical connection is independent from the multi-out connection and HDMI. I'm not sure if you can use the multi-out audio and the HDMI for video but I do know that the PS3 will ask you to set up audio after selecting a different video input.

I was typing at the same time, so I didn't see you reply ... try not to take offence ... my bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by holsty101 View Post
    I was typing at the same time, so I didn't see you reply ... try not to take offence ... my bad.
    No offense, just didn't think you actually saw the post. Didn't mean to come off like that, sorry.

NP, vagaries of the internet & all that ...

Wonder how Sams doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by fistandantilist View Post
    DVDs would not be upscaled through component connection and ONLY through HDMI.
    DVDs can be upscaled through component...just not retail DVDs. They must not be pressed (i.e. made in a factory) discs and have CSS removed.
    My HDM (223) (Latest: Lord of the Rings Extended Edit., Star Wars The Complete Saga (US))
    My Youtube Channel
    does anyone have an answer for this? I was looking into maybe upgrading my receiver to get the HDMI lossless audio, but run the components to my tv, since it has no hdmi...
    Marc Williams
    ------------------------------
    Purple, and loving it.
    Xbox 360- HD-DVD add-on
    PS3 40gb.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21
    Sony kp-51hw40 RP HDTV

Question They call it a .....................

Quote Originally Posted by marc0702 View Post
    does anyone have an answer for this? I was looking into maybe upgrading my receiver to get the HDMI lossless audio, but run the components to my tv, since it has no hdmi...
    ......................... receiver because it receives all the audio and video signals; now why can't you use the HDMI cable from PS3 to the receiver, carrying both A&V, then have the receiver send the sound to the speakers and the video to the TV using component out .....
    Last edited by The_Snowman; 07-06-2008 at 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by marc0702 View Post
    Yes you can use any AV combination you want when hooking up the PS3, they are set-up independently, its really easy.

Comp for video, HDMI for audio
    HDMI for video, optical for audio
    hdmi for video, rca(2 ch) for audio
    comp for video, optical for audio
    PC: i7 920, 6GB RAM, SLI 570
    Atari 2600 (Vader) - 1.19MHz CPU 128B RAM