Go Back   High-Def Digest Forums > Blu-ray > Blu-ray and Video Game Consoles
Reload this Page How do I save my PS3 games progress to an external hard drive

Default How do I save my PS3 games progress to an external hard drive

I have found a used external hard drive that I have connected to my PS3 and the PS3 recognizes it and I can play music. When I go to save a game it automatically goes to the PS3 hard drive. How do I switch it so it can save to the external hard drive?

Hope you understand my question.

Thanks in advance

Sam
    you can easily copy gavesames there, but not directly i believe.
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo
    Quote Originally Posted by michealo View Post
    you can easily copy gavesames there, but not directly i believe.
    Correct. (Settings/System Settings/Backup Utility)

Are you running out of hard drive space?

Best solution is upgrade the HDD.

I swapped my 60 GB HDD for a 320 GB HDD in a little over an hour.

Backing up and restoring my data took most of that time.

The actual HDD replacement was completed in less than 10 minutes.

I would post a link with instructions, but am not allowed.

[edit] gamersreports.com/article/43/ [/edit]

amaruk
    Last edited by amaruk; 06-08-2008 at 06:41 PM.
    What michealo said.

Game saves can be duplicated over to your external hard drive, but they can't be automatically instructed to save there by the PS3. All games will save directly to the internal hard drive, that's just the way they're coded. You can use your external HDD as a back up, and simply hit the triangle button over a particular save file and select the copy function and specify your source. But you can't instruct your PS3 or your game to load up saves from the external HDD to play, it'll automatically go to whatever saves it finds on the internal hard drive as well.

Unfortunately, as you've already found out, it's only audio and video media that can stored and directly played off an external storage device. Game data won't work, unless there are some games out there I'm not aware that actually have an external HDD access feature squirreled away in their options menu somewhere.
    Ok, looks like I'll look online for instructions on how to upgrade my internal hard drive.

Thanks for the responses.

Sam
    it's right in the PS3 manual.
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo
    I hate how Capcom puts a copy protection on their game saves.

I just bought a slim & I couldn't copy my SFIV & RE5 save data.
    RE5 has been patched (1.0.3) to remove the save data lock, not sure about SFIV.

http://www.ps3news.com/PS3-Online/re...ction-removed/

Default Ps3

The best Blu-ray player on the market - hands down! Even hands with 6 fingers.
    if only u can take your downloaded games to another ps3

Default Adding new game save folder-file to external HD connected to PS3

I have a WD external HD My Book 2.0 that is connected via USB to my Sony PS3 as a BU device. I have been using it to bu Gran Turismo GT5 after each game session. I now also
    play Gran Turismo GT6. When I go to bu (on the only existing folder on the PS3 back up data utility menu) that GT6 game play session, I get the prompt that selecting a back up will overwrite all previous data. When I was doing this while ONLY playing GT5, overwriting the previous data was no issue. But now that I'm playing an additional game, I am concerned that when I back up my GT6 game play, it will write over/erase my existing GT5 data? Is there a way to manage my backups on ext HD to accommodate this new game data without overwriting the existing GT5 data? The PS3 menu shows only one folder icon for my WD My Book on the save menu. Thank You
    Quote Originally Posted by jagmkx View Post
    I have a WD external HD My Book 2.0 that is connected via USB to my Sony PS3 as a BU device. I have been using it to bu Gran Turismo GT5 after each game session. I now also
    play Gran Turismo GT6. When I go to bu (on the only existing folder on the PS3 back up data utility menu) that GT6 game play session, I get the prompt that selecting a back up will overwrite all previous data. When I was doing this while ONLY playing GT5, overwriting the previous data was no issue. But now that I'm playing an additional game, I am concerned that when I back up my GT6 game play, it will write over/erase my existing GT5 data? Is there a way to manage my backups on ext HD to accommodate this new game data without overwriting the existing GT5 data? The PS3 menu shows only one folder icon for my WD My Book on the save menu. Thank You
    Why dont you back up to a USB or a second external hard drive? That way you have TWO backups, then you can do what you want with one of them.