Thread: PS3 (Blu-Ray)?

Default PS3 (Blu-Ray)?

I have a PS3 40gb. I run this through HDMI into my Sony surround sound system and then through Sony Bravia 40" LCD 40W3000. The Spiderman movie that came with my PS3 works great. When I play the movie "300" or the movie "Cars", the screen is fine (at the screen selection/play screen), until the movie starts playing in which the screen then goes to what seems as a widescreen format. I have 4" black bars on both top and bottom of my screen. Just like an old crt tv playing a widescreen movie. I have checked all my settings and they set for automatic which detects 16:9 HDMI widescreen lcd. Why at the menu screen is the movie in full, then switches to widescreen format? I have checked for a setting at the menu screen and I do not ee anything that allows me to change any settings. The two movies (300 & Cars) were rented through Netflix. Does this have anything to do with widescreen format? When I play games it is on full screen with no problems. Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabass069 View Post
    I have a PS3 40gb. I run this through HDMI into my Sony surround sound system and then through Sony Bravia 40" LCD 40W3000. The Spiderman movie that came with my PS3 works great. When I play the movie "300" or the movie "Cars", the screen is fine (at the screen selection/play screen), until the movie starts playing in which the screen then goes to what seems as a widescreen format. I have 4" black bars on both top and bottom of my screen. Just like an old crt tv playing a widescreen movie. I have checked all my settings and they set for automatic which detects 16:9 HDMI widescreen lcd. Why at the menu screen is the movie in full, then switches to widescreen format? I have checked for a setting at the menu screen and I do not ee anything that allows me to change any settings. The two movies (300 & Cars) were rented through Netflix. Does this have anything to do with widescreen format? When I play games it is on full screen with no problems. Any help would be appreciated.

Check the aspect ratios of the movies.Not all movies in blu ray are the same.
    Where would I find the aspect ratio on the movie? I looked at the menu screen and didn't see any place where to change the settings. Thanks for your quick reply.
    find the aspect ratio on the back of the dvd case. you cannot change the aspect ratio in the movie. you can change what you see on your tv.

black bars are the norm and is what most movies are filmed in.
    There is nothing wrong with your settings. You are seeing the movie in its original aspect ratio. Like captaincanuck said, not all movies are in the same aspect ratio. The term "fullscreen" does not mean the movie fills up your screen, but is a term normally used to describe a movie in a 4:3 ratio. Here the film has been cropped to fill the older 4:3 tv's...so you are missing parts of the film. The term "widescreen" is used when a movie is presented in a widescreen format...usually the original aspect ratio...so you are not missing any parts of the picture. There are different ratios used when filming...most commonly 1.85:1 and 2.35:1. 16:9 is the size of your tv, not the size of any commonly used aspect ratio.
    I do not mind so much the black bars, it just seems that the tops of the actors heads are cut off. I can't believe that people that filmed the movies in this format meant to have the tops of the heads cut off.
    most 1.85 aspect ratio movies from Paramount Warner and maybe some other studios are opened up to 1.78:1(16:9) so they will fill your screen as well as any HD tv show or documentary
    HDTV = Sharp Aquos LC32-GP1U
    Blu-ray Player=Playstation 3
    HD DVD Player=HD-A20
    = 230
    Latest Purchases = Traffic, Army of Shadows, 12 Angry Men
    = 15
    Final Purchase = Into the Wild

WB BDLive - squall4008, Disney BDLive - Guest 41775, PSN - squall4008
    1.85:1 = Academy widescreen
    2.35:1 = Cinematic widescreen (Fox was the first to use it when film was competing with TV in its early days).

The use of ratio is to give the sense of scale to a movie plus it helps to direct your attention to things the director wants you to see.
    My HDM (223) (Latest: Lord of the Rings Extended Edit., Star Wars The Complete Saga (US))
    My Youtube Channel
    I do not mind so much the black bars, it just seems that the tops of the actors heads are cut off. I can't believe that people that filmed the movies in this format meant to have the tops of the heads cut off.
    If one of the movies you're viewing is the first Pirates of the Caribbean, that's a mastering issue, and you can call Disney to get the Blu-ray disc replaced (took a few weeks for mine).

If it's happening on all movies, then something weird is happening, and I'd have to suggest that a setting on the PS3 is messed up (because with the HDMI display chain, I can't see it getting fouled up anywhere else).
    It doesn't happen with the Spiderman movie that came with the PS3. So far the three titles I rented has the issue of not filling the entire screen. I thought for sure that when Blu-ray movies came out that if they were viewed on a HD tv the the movie would fill the screen. The only way I can get it to fill the screen is to switch to Zoom mode. It zooms in on the movie. Hard to watch the movie "300" zoomed in. It kinda defeats the purpose of buying a 40" lcd tv and yet when I want to watch a really cool graphic intense movie, it doesn't fill my screen.
    It doesn't happen with the Spiderman movie that came with the PS3. So far the three titles I rented has the issue of not filling the entire screen. I thought for sure that when Blu-ray movies came out that if they were viewed on a HD tv the the movie would fill the screen. The only way I can get it to fill the screen is to switch to Zoom mode. It zooms in on the movie. Hard to watch the movie "300" zoomed in. It kinda defeats the purpose of buying a 40" lcd tv and yet when I want to watch a really cool graphic intense movie, it doesn't fill my screen.
    I guess you still don't understand that you are seeing the movie the way it was intended. Please don't zoom in.
    I thought for sure that when Blu-ray movies came out that if they were viewed on a HD tv the the movie would fill the screen.
    Well, you thought wrong - fortunately. Boy would that suck if 2.21:1 movies were re-formatted for 16:9 TVs, like in the ol' pan & scan days. Ugh...

Also, I recommend you educate yourself with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_%28image%29

and this: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...reenorama.html