Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last>>

Question PS3 leaving lines/marks on discs??

I've had a 40GB PS3 for almost a week now, and I've noticed upon ejecting some discs, there is a faint line generally running straight across or partially across the disc. I'm assuming this is a result of dust on the felt that the disc slides past as you insert/eject the disc, but I could be wrong. Thing is, I'm super OCD about the condition of any of my disc-based media and the fact that this is happening is really bothering me. I was thinking of applying some rubbing alcohol to a q-tip and running the tip across the felt. Does anyone foresee this resulting in any problems, or even solving my current problem? Has anyone else experienced the PS3 leaving any sort of marks along their discs? I'm toying with the idea of exchanging the unit, but it seems a silly thing to waste my product replacement plan on, especially of any system has the potential to do this. Any help is much appreciated.
    I would first try the q-tip idea. It doesn't seem like the scratching point is deep within, otherwise you would see perfect-circle scratches instead.
    Keep testing the slot mechanism with dvdrs and always load your discs in carefully.
    Sell me your used BDs!!
    PSN: KillaWabbit
    My old-skool setup:
    Sony E50A10
    Onkyo SR605 @ 5.1 using HDMI
    Sony PS3 60gb, Verizon FIOS programming w/ 160gb DVR
    KEF floor/center speakers, Boston Acoustics bookshelf surround, Mirage cube subwoofer
    Sennheiser RS130 wireless headphones
    iJoy 250 massage chair w/ foot massager
    I guess I should also add that the marks are most certainly not scratches, as they can be wiped off quite easily.
    Buy a standalone with a disc tray. I'm really surprised that a high priced,complex player like the ps3 was built with a loader like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
    Buy a standalone with a disc tray. I'm really surprised that a high priced,complex player like the ps3 was built with a loader like that.
    I had a sony cd changer in my IROC years ago. It damaged many cd's.

Yeah I am surprised they put a loader without a tray in the ps3.
    I've had my PS3 for almost a year now and it has never done this. Sounds like OP has a faulty PS3 that he should exchange for a new one.
    this message was brought to you by MrE™
    WARNING: may contain Sarcasm and/or Bad Spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by MrENGLISH View Post
    I've had my PS3 for almost a year now and it has never done this. Sounds like OP has a faulty PS3 that he should exchange for a new one.
    Upon inserting and ejecting a number of discs (DVDs, CDs, and BRs), the appearance of these lines seems to have diminished, if not disappeared entirely. This leads me to believe that indeed it was just some dust buildup on the felt in the loader that was present when I purchased the unit and has since gone away, but I don't know if I should continue to be concerned or not. I suppose I'll just keep an eye on things and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by biomechanoid999 View Post
    Upon inserting and ejecting a number of discs (DVDs, CDs, and BRs), the appearance of these lines seems to have diminished, if not disappeared entirely. This leads me to believe that indeed it was just some dust buildup on the felt in the loader that was present when I purchased the unit and has since gone away, but I don't know if I should continue to be concerned or not. I suppose I'll just keep an eye on things and see.
    Don't be too concerned. If there are scratches then worry. Just wet a q-tip with alcohol and run it along the felt if dust lines appear again
    oops...double post.
    I've had a 40GB PS3 for almost a week now, and I've noticed upon ejecting some discs, there is a faint line generally running straight across or partially across the disc. I'm assuming this is a result of dust on the felt that the disc slides past as you insert/eject the disc, but I could be wrong. Thing is, I'm super OCD about the condition of any of my disc-based media and the fact that this is happening is really bothering me. I was thinking of applying some rubbing alcohol to a q-tip and running the tip across the felt. Does anyone foresee this resulting in any problems, or even solving my current problem? Has anyone else experienced the PS3 leaving any sort of marks along their discs? I'm toying with the idea of exchanging the unit, but it seems a silly thing to waste my product replacement plan on, especially of any system has the potential to do this. Any help is much appreciated.
    Yes, absolutely! I have tried out 5 different PS3s over the course of a year from 5 different retailers and all of the PS3s leave these similar markings when a disc is ejected. I'm also OCD and it drives me crazy that a great machine like the PS3 does this. I bought a standalone unit because it just bothered me too much. I am surprised I haven't read more complaints on this issue. It must be dust particles building up on the felt that causes this, but I would have liked the PS3 alot more if they had added a disc tray.

Have you cleaned it with alcohol?
    Sony BDP-S360
    Sony STR-DG820
    Isn't this true of all slot loading drives and not just the PS3? I always thought of slot loading disc trays to be a high end feature.
    One piece at a time... Budget HT!
    11/24/06: Westinghouse LTV-37w2 LCD HDTV ($760)
    7/26/07: Sony PS3 60gb ($460)
    8/5/05: Panasonic SC-HT05 HTIB ($174)

BDs: 26 (latest: Juno)

Next Upgrades: Samsung LN46A650

The home theater, WIP
    Ive had my PS3 40gb about the same amount of time you have, and I cant say ive noticed any lines. I would suggest cleaning the disc tray if you can, as you suggested yourself.

Also, have you been moving the unit while it plays films or games? If so, that could explain it.
    Quote Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
    I had a sony cd changer in my IROC years ago. It damaged many cd's.

Yeah I am surprised they put a loader without a tray in the ps3.
    I've had my PS3 since launch and have never had such an issue. Also disk trays tend to break after a while.
    46" Sharp Aquos LC-46D64U 1080p
    PS3 Fatty 250GB
    PS3 Slim 320GB

This happened to me as well. Ive had my PS3 for a week now, everything was fine i wacthed the spiderman movie that it came with. and had no problems.I didnt purchase a game but ive got a buddy at work who lent me heavenly sword. before I played the game I checked it for crathes and figer prints.I wiped off the finger prints with a soft cloth, then i played for a while.i took a break,took the game out and notice there was a faded line that ran across the cd.i found it very odd,i tried to wipe it off but it wouldnt come off.i decided to play some more then after playing I ejected the disc and what a surprise i saw 4 more lines.now im starting to get worried so I called sony,and spoke to one of their reps.the person I spoke to told me if I had warrany to return it to the store.so thats what im going to do tomorrow i suggest you do the same.
    ya I have a PS3 20 and have not noticed any problems......anyways blu-rays are hard coated and very hard to screw with.