Default how long to charge PS3 controller?

I just bought a Ps3 tonight and I am charging the controller for the first time. How long should I expect it to take to charge?
    Even during use it should fully charge in about 2 hours.
    I rarely charge my units. they hold their charge for a damnnnn long time and charging is superbly quick. Like GreenDude said, 2 hours max
    "PeAcE is but a shadow of death, desperate to forget its painful past"
    PowerMac G5 + MacBook Air+ Custom Gaming PC + PSPgo +500GB PlayStation 3 (Linux) + Xbox 360 Elite + Harmony 1000 + TiVo Series 3+ XM + Panamax 5100 + Sony 60" SXRD + Denon 2807 + Onkyo 6.1 Surround + AppleTV+ iPhone 3GS
    PSN: Fusion_Id
    It dreams in Blu-ray
    Can any usb port be used to charge the controller? I wonder if i can charge it in my hd-dvd player white watching a movie?
    -john
    ps. this ps3 web browser is really annoying to type with!
    When it's charging, the LED controller number flashes. When it's done charging, it stops flashing.
    That's cool. Looks like it works that way. So when the charge gets low, I can just watch an HD DVD then when done, its charged again! Cool stuff.

-John (from my PC)
    Quote Originally Posted by jgantert View Post
    Can any usb port be used to charge the controller? I wonder if i can charge it in my hd-dvd player white watching a movie?
    -john
    ps. this ps3 web browser is really annoying to type with!
    Someone somewhere gave a warning that using any USB port can result in overcharging the controller somehow. Not sure if there's any truth to it, but depending on how the controller determines when to stop charging, or if the console decides when to stop charging, it could be a possibility. There is a product that charges PS3 controllers and would probably prevent any issues, if there were any. I know I'll be getting one of these in April.

Default i agree

i have actually bought this AC charger and it works great, 30 bucks including shipping from GAMESTOP. money well spent imo
    looked for, they cannot be seen; listened for, they cannot be heard; felt for, they cannot be touched-old ninja proverb
    depending if it dosent look cheap, ill be picking this up
    "PeAcE is but a shadow of death, desperate to forget its painful past"
    PowerMac G5 + MacBook Air+ Custom Gaming PC + PSPgo +500GB PlayStation 3 (Linux) + Xbox 360 Elite + Harmony 1000 + TiVo Series 3+ XM + Panamax 5100 + Sony 60" SXRD + Denon 2807 + Onkyo 6.1 Surround + AppleTV+ iPhone 3GS
    PSN: Fusion_Id
    It dreams in Blu-ray
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenDude View Post
    Someone somewhere gave a warning that using any USB port can result in overcharging the controller somehow. Not sure if there's any truth to it, but depending on how the controller determines when to stop charging, or if the console decides when to stop charging, it could be a possibility. There is a....] that charges PS3 controllers and would probably prevent any issues, if there were any. I know I'll be getting in April.
    TRUE.

DO NOT CHARGE PS3 CONTROLLER with ANY other type of USB. Ive found out through trial and error and an unnecessary purchase of another PS3 Controller due to the misconception that "any standard" USB would charge the PS3 Controller.

At first it seems to be just fine but after a week from charging off of my computer, the PS3 Controller becomes off sync with the PS3 Console and then seems like its dead and will only play when its charged back into the PS3. However during that time I was using a 10' USB cord connected to the console (not Sony approved btw) and thought it was charging safely from there. After checking the battery level it said it was fully charged, once unplugged, it would not even work, even with the tiny reset and all the buttons. After taking out the 10' USB, I plugged the original PlayStation USB that came with the console and plugged the controller back in and found out after checking the battery that now its recharging normal again. The regular USB cord (any old standard) that Ive been using was deceiving since when I checked the battery on the controller it said it was fully charged even though it was not.

All this could have been prevented if I just went to Sony website and purchased that damn 9' USB official cord for $10.00 instead of thinking that I needed a new controller which I unnecessarily bought one for $50.

If you noticed, the Sony USB to charge your controller, is not "just some regular standard USB". That type of USB is specifically for Sony PS3 controllers, this way you won't have to go through the mess and hassles.
    Thanks for the reply 6 years later.
    definitely as while you are indulged into gaming it consumes a lot of electricity out of your play .. so keep up with plenty of power supply..