Go Back   High-Def Digest Forums > Blu-ray > Blu-ray and Video Game Consoles
Reload this Page ps3 retail price up in canada? what happened to the 20gb ps3?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last>>

Default ps3 retail price up in canada? what happened to the 20gb ps3?

i was at bestbuy yesterday and they had 60gb ps3's instock retailing for $699 cdn? a quick look online at bestbuy and future shop both sites retailing 60gb ps3 for $699....it was retailing for $659 since its launch date, strange. i guess its a resent price increase? i thought the ps3 would be going down in price, not up in retail price. i also noticed the 20gb ps3 is no longer listed for sale on either site at all. i've only ever seen 60gb in stock since shortly after its launch....maybe 20gb is being phased out?
    wrong forum
    "PeAcE is but a shadow of death, desperate to forget its painful past"
    PowerMac G5 + MacBook Air+ Custom Gaming PC + PSPgo +500GB PlayStation 3 (Linux) + Xbox 360 Elite + Harmony 1000 + TiVo Series 3+ XM + Panamax 5100 + Sony 60" SXRD + Denon 2807 + Onkyo 6.1 Surround + AppleTV+ iPhone 3GS
    PSN: Fusion_Id
    It dreams in Blu-ray

Default Sony increases PS3 price?!

i dont think this has ever happened in videogame history where they UP the price of the console...
    what a great marketing scheme!

i dont know whether this is offical or if local stores are just trying to make a bigger profit.. but heres a link to best buys site.
    used to be $659.99 now it's $699.99

bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10 075271&catid=24376

could this spell trouble for sony and blu ray?

edit: i couldnt enter the first portion of the link cuz it says i needed 10posts or more to include urls =/
    This must be related to the exchange rate??
    ack i think you may be right

i found this quote on gamespot

"Don't know if this will be across all retailers, but Best Buy and Future Shop have increased the price to $699 Canadian. It used to be $659. It might be because the MSRP was set back in May 2006 at E3 and our dollar has dropped since then. $599 US = $706 Canadian.

Then again, did you really expect Sony to INCREASE the price? I mean... this isn't the greatest response to "Hey Sony, I'll buy your system when the price goes down."

FS:
    futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...71&catid=24714

BB:
    bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...71&catid=24376

I haven't seen the 20 GB but it seems those are now $599 according to RedFlagDeals.

Update: PSP Entertainment pack is now $299 instead of $279 on Future Shop, Best Buy, and Amazon.ca."
    Believe that's at one Best Buy location or a few in Canada only. I briefly read this elsewhere earlier and it appears that this has not come from Sony...Best Buy is acting on their own.

And fix your links too...what you posted won't work.
    He can't post links. He's a noob.

Looks like I'll be going across the border to CC to get mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    He can't post links. He's a noob.

Looks like I'll be going across the border to CC to get mine.
    You don't have one by now? Man I would have put you on having one for sure!
    Well, Sony just lost me as a PS3 purchaser when FFXIII comes out. That's plain retarded considering their current sell-thru and penetration goals.
    They lost me as a customer when the og xbox was announded, then got me back for a while when gt2 came out. Then lost me again.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackacidevil98 View Post
    They lost me as a customer when the og xbox was announded, then got me back for a while when gt2 came out. Then lost me again.
    man some help to find a way? stay neutral I learned that here and from time to time just talk S%#* about HD DVD or BD anyways people will said you have no credibility. Like we care. Good luck finding the way brother.
    Quote Originally Posted by nelll View Post
    man some help to find a way? stay neutral I learned that here and from time to time just talk S%#* about HD DVD or BD anyways people will said you have no credibility. Like we care. Good luck finding the way brother.
    What?
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_bl...80&sid=6164872

What we heard: When Sony revealed that the price of the PlayStation 3 would be higher than any of its competitors, some thrifty gamers swore they would wait to pick up the machine until it dropped in price. Those gamers might have been surprised today to hear that the price of the PS3 had actually gone up.

Canadian online stores for Best Buy and Future Shop are currently listing the 60GB PS3's price as C$699.99 ($593), up from its original sale price of C$659.99 ($560). Assuming both stores didn't repeat the same typo on the same product at the same time, there's obviously some truth to the news. The question for prospective PS3 owners then became which is more unusual: reputable retailers like Best Buy and Future Shop charging a scalper's premium on desired products, or Sony embittering and driving away potential customers for the sake of a C$40 (more than $33) markup on recently released hardware.

A representative with GameStop offered some solace to northerners, stating, "Our EB Games locations in Canada will hold their current PS3 prices...C$549.99 for the 20GB and C$659.99 for the 60GB." So clearly not everyone is jacking up the price on the hardware, but that leaves the questions of whether or not Sony asked them to and why the price hikes are happening in the first place.

The official story: "Although the suggested retail price (SRP) of the PlayStation 3 in Canada has not changed, some Canadian retailers have chosen to increase their retail price as a result of the weaker Canadian dollar. This increase is solely at the discretion of the retailer, as Sony Computer Entertainment Canada has not issued a price increase."--An SCEC representative.

Bogus or not bogus?:
    Sony raising the price? Bogus. That the price has gone up at some stores? Not bogus.
    "PeAcE is but a shadow of death, desperate to forget its painful past"
    PowerMac G5 + MacBook Air+ Custom Gaming PC + PSPgo +500GB PlayStation 3 (Linux) + Xbox 360 Elite + Harmony 1000 + TiVo Series 3+ XM + Panamax 5100 + Sony 60" SXRD + Denon 2807 + Onkyo 6.1 Surround + AppleTV+ iPhone 3GS
    PSN: Fusion_Id
    It dreams in Blu-ray
    FS/BB price match, so just find the PS3 elsewhere in stock, go to FS/BB and they'll match plus take off 10% of the price difference. Presto: a drop in prices at FS/BB.
    Moved to BD consoles.