Default Ps3 Problems - Freezing?

My PS3 keeps freezing. I tend to play sport games such as Fifa 10, NBA 2K10, Madden NFL 10 and NHL 10 and the games start normally and then the commentary goes out while the game is still going and then about 2 minutes later, the playstation freezes. Then i try to turn it off and it takes about 30 minutes to turn off. Sometimes, the playstation does not even read the disc. The bluray player still works just fine as well as the internet however it seems to be only the games that do not work. This has only begun to happen recently (about 1 week). Does anyone have this problem or has anyone had this problem? Is there a method to fixing it without sending it back to Sony? (That is my last resort.)
    Could be starting to fail, either the Blu drive is dying or it is starting YLOD. A lot of questions I could ask, how old it is which model (phat, slim), but Dust it first, the ps3 traps dust like nobody business. If it isn't cooling right when the higher cpu demands for a game come on it could over heat and freeze.

If it is just the Blu drive dying you can replace that yourself fairly easily, that's how I go my 60gb BC PS3. Ebay for the drive or a local shop if you are lucky and about 10 to 15 minutes of carefully replacing the drive and swapping the circuit board from the old drive to the new (4 or 5 screws hold it to the bottom of the drive). The PHAT (aka fat) PS3 is fairly easy disassemble. plenty of youtube videos show various repairs.

There are other tricks like restoring the ps3, basically reformatting the hard drive, or even replacing the hard drive. I've heard of Hard drive problems causing various issues. Firmware updates might help although I avoid them myself, some debate if the hurt or help more often than not.

Good luck
    I would guess heat. Has the weather warmed up where you live, lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by cristorad3 View Post
    My PS3 keeps freezing. I tend to play sport games such as Fifa 10, NBA 2K10, Madden NFL 10 and NHL 10 and the games start normally and then the commentary goes out while the game is still going and then about 2 minutes later, the playstation freezes. Then i try to turn it off and it takes about 30 minutes to turn off. Sometimes, the playstation does not even read the disc. The bluray player still works just fine as well as the internet however it seems to be only the games that do not work. This has only begun to happen recently (about 1 week). Does anyone have this problem or has anyone had this problem? Is there a method to fixing it without sending it back to Sony? (That is my last resort.)
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like the Blu Ray drive is going out. Soon, it will not read the disc at all. Similar thing happened to me, one just recently, the last time being last year. There are ways to fixing it without sending it in, but it'll require buying a new drive of course, and taking it apart yourself and installing it. From what I hear, it's not terribly difficult to do, however if you have little experience with electronics, not recommended.

Also, a local mom and pops shop may be able to help you out.
    Don't Reach, Young Blood

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
    http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/P...565990/page/22

They should be forced to pay someone from Microsoft to run their software department.
    PSN/XBL: BLINX1234

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Gates and Windows?

Interim Project Leader @ Platinum Arts

Currently working on the next generation of Platinum Arts Sandbox.
    An easy to use, multi-platform gaming engine for Windows, Mac OS X and GNU/Linux (next generation console releases TBA)

Default I have the same problem

please let me know how to solve it.

thank you
    Like Onslaught it looks like you BR drive is going . If you receive any of this codes , 80010017 -( Can't start Blu-ray Game ) or 80010514 -( Disc error detected. Retrying operation ) its a BR drive problem . Mine just died after one up-date ( 3.00 ) and Sony asks for 150$ just to repair it , but some second part technicians will repair it for less .

Here's a list of code errors detected from the PS3 Forums
    This codes are not a confirmation from Sony but only from PS3 users .

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/P...6677#U30712199
    Sharp Aquos 52 , Center Polk CS2II , Tower Polk Montors 60 ,Surround 2 Quest + 2 KEF ,Subs + 2 Klipsch RW 10D and Klipsch RPW 10 , HD DVD A35 , XBOX 360 , PS3 , Sony BDP-S360 ,Bell IPTV , Pioneer VSX-1125-K , 100" Motorized Elite screen VMAX , PJ:Epson 8350

Default PS3 Blu-ray drive issue

I have decided to just buy a new blueray drive but everywhere I try and order one they have the 60 pin ribbon connection and I need the 12 pin ribbon connection for the Model CECHL01 Does anyone know where to purchase one? afpoliceman@yahoo.com
    I would guess heat. Has the weather warmed up where you live, lately?