Reply 
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Default Technically what is the best sound option for a PS3 game?


    On Uncharted 2 I noticed it had the following in the audio options:

    Dolby Digital
    Dolby Pro Logic II
    DTS
    5.1 PCM
    7.1 PCM

    Technically, which is the best if your receiver is capable of lossless sound for Blu-Ray movies?
  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southwest Center City Philly
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Columbo345 View Post
    On Uncharted 2 I noticed it had the following in the audio options:

    Dolby Digital
    Dolby Pro Logic II
    DTS
    5.1 PCM
    7.1 PCM

    Technically, which is the best if your receiver is capable of lossless sound for Blu-Ray movies?
    1. 7.1 or 5.1 PCM
    2. DTS or DD
    3. Pro Logic II
    Sony KDS-50A3000, Yamaha RX-V661, 160gb
    Let's Go Red Wings!
  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western New York, U.S.A.
    Posts
    508
    The 7.1 or 5.1 PCM is deff. the best, uncompressed audio!
    • Crappy Insignia replacement for Westinghouse
      Onkyo TX-SR806
      Infinity TSS-1100 series sat's/sub and BIC Acoustech PL-200 sub
      Toshiba HD-A35
      Oppo BDP-80 (multi-region)
  4. #4
    Thanks guys.

    Also I have one (actually two) more n00b questions about PS3 games:

    - Does every single PS3 game come with uncompressed PCM audio?

    - No PS3 game comes with DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD right? I assume there would be no need for it to, unlike a Blu-Ray movie.
  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by frogmeat69 View Post
    The 7.1 or 5.1 PCM is deff. the best, uncompressed audio!
    i've been trying to figure this out, PCM is uncompressed? any way i can get an explanation of PCM vs DTS or a link to some reading on the subject?

    thanks
  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Victoria, BC - Canada
    Posts
    15,522
    Quote Originally Posted by J_M_T View Post
    i've been trying to figure this out, PCM is uncompressed? any way i can get an explanation of PCM vs DTS or a link to some reading on the subject?

    thanks
    http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=69985

    And then just google each individual codec to learn more. Dolby Digital and DTS are just ways to "ZIP" PCM sound files into a neat, smaller packet. Before you get sound to your speakers, it must be "UNZIPPED" back to PCM. It sounds more inefficient, but its not. Which is why PCM is becomming more and more rare, especially in the movie world.
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by miDnIghtEr View Post
    Sometimes I don't speak right. But still I know what I'm talking about...
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies
  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southwest Center City Philly
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Columbo345 View Post
    Thanks guys.

    Also I have one (actually two) more n00b questions about PS3 games:

    - Does every single PS3 game come with uncompressed PCM audio?
    No, lots use dolby digital (for example, EA Sports' games)

    Quote Originally Posted by Columbo345 View Post
    - No PS3 game comes with DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD right? I assume there would be no need for it to, unlike a Blu-Ray movie.
    Do not know the answer to this... have yet to see a game that uses TrueHD or DTS-MA though
    Sony KDS-50A3000, Yamaha RX-V661, 160gb
    Let's Go Red Wings!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts