Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last>>
    "Long live the fighters!"

This will be my fifth time buying Dune and I am not afraid to say it. I will still hang onto the extended edition on DVD and the theatrical on HD DVD. It will be nice to see if there's much of an upgrade going from DD+ to DTS-HD Master Audio. Now if Universal would just get the extended edition out on Blu-ray.
    ^There won't be, unless they tweak with the audio in other ways: http://www.hemagazine.com/node/Dolby...compressed_PCM
    Too bad Lynch didnt have a bigger budget for this film. It falls flat because of this and he was never able to do what he really wanted to.

Production of this film was sharing space, props, and other items with Conan The Barbarian/Destroyer at the time to save money. No wonder why it felt rushed and incomplete.

Id love to see this remade with a huge budget. Maybe someday. Until then...bleh.
    Pioneer KURO 50"
    Sharp LCD 32"
    BDPS-360, 120gb
    80gb
    DVD Toshy A30, Toshy A2
    Sony STRDG 910
    Polk TSi 300's, M10's, RM8, PSW10
    i could not watch more than 5 minutes of this (sorry Josh). it was just no way in any shape or form my cup of tea.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
    ^There won't be, unless they tweak with the audio in other ways: http://www.hemagazine.com/node/Dolby...compressed_PCM
    Yeah, that just supports my belief that 95% of people can't hear the difference in DD+ and a lossless track even with high end gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
    Too bad Lynch didnt have a bigger budget for this film. It falls flat because of this and he was never able to do what he really wanted to.

Production of this film was sharing space, props, and other items with Conan The Barbarian/Destroyer at the time to save money. No wonder why it felt rushed and incomplete.

Id love to see this remade with a huge budget. Maybe someday. Until then...bleh.
    Have you seen the extended version? Other than about 2-3 minutes worth of repeated/flipped shots it is much more expansive and actually closer to the book. Of course the mini-series from 2000 is even closer to the book, but the acting was sub par.
    Quote Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
    Have you seen the extended version? Other than about 2-3 minutes worth of repeated/flipped shots it is much more expansive and actually closer to the book. Of course the mini-series from 2000 is even closer to the book, but the acting was sub par.
    I have not. Is it really that much better? This film frustrated me because I felt it had a lot of promise btu got held back too much.
    Pioneer KURO 50"
    Sharp LCD 32"
    BDPS-360, 120gb
    80gb
    DVD Toshy A30, Toshy A2
    Sony STRDG 910
    Polk TSi 300's, M10's, RM8, PSW10
    I have not. Is it really that much better? This film frustrated me because I felt it had a lot of promise btu got held back too much.
    In a few ways it's not better, but in many ways it ties a lot of plot holes together and flirts with the book a little bit more. Of course the book is best piece of literary science-fiction of the 20th century, which no movie can ever touch. Universal released both the extended version and theatrical version on a flipper disc in 2006 and included ALL of the extras on the theatrical side. It can be had for around $15 or so new.
    it's an interesting watch but it's not Lynch. just all the scenes that were shot put into the film. it lacks a lot of cohesion and looks cheap imo
    Quote Originally Posted by J_M_T View Post
    it's an interesting watch but it's not Lynch. just all the scenes that were shot put into the film. it lacks a lot of cohesion and looks cheap imo
    That's correct. It received the dubious title of TV Mini-series version and a directed by Alan Smithee notation since Lynch cut the additional scenes to make it closer to two hours and didn't want his name associated with the longer cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
    Of course the mini-series from 2000 is even closer to the book, but the acting was sub par.
    Some of the sets in the 2000 remake were really sub-par too. It's like they painted my living room with a desert motif and called it a sound stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
    Some of the sets in the 2000 remake were really sub-par too. It's like they painted my living room with a desert motif and called it a sound stage.
    Yeah, it was mainly funded by the sci-fi (refuse to call it sy-fy) channel so there's your explanation right there. It also bothered me that the actor that played Rabban looked like Jack Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
    watched the first couple of this version then stopped couldn't stand it
    Not sure about a massive budget, but it's coming...

Have a look on IMDB for Dune

(Can't post URL's yet!!!)

Tony