Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Attebery is offline Member

Default 'Friday the 13th' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter has reviewed the Blu-ray debut of the original 'Friday the 13th.' As you may or may not know, he's a bit of a fan:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097...lance&n=283155

He says this Blu-ray boasts the international cut of the film, good
    video, mixed audio, and an audio commentary track hosted by an
    especially beguiling expert on the series.

Fans should enjoy this upgrade.

Full review here:
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1919...y13th1980.html

RandellG is offline Member

Wow, I so expected 5 stars for the movie itself

(Not because of personal tastes, but Peter's love for the movie.)

EDIT: Just got done reading the review, I actually like it. Peter must have some strong will not to up the movie to 5 stars. Nice review there Peter, can't wait till I get mine in.

BTW, love the line about the commentary. Don't usually listen to them, but will on this one. That would be like me getting the chance to do one on 'Wicked'
    Last edited by RandellG; 01-21-2009 at 12:39 PM.
    Project-Blu: the new stop for Blu-ray reviews, news, articles, insider info,and the Amazon pre-order page.

Project-Blu on Facebook: Come and "LIKE" us.

Super-VHS is offline Member

This is by far my favorite Bracke review in a long while.

Not only do I actually agree with his "movie itself" section and score but there's some genuine humor in there too.

Audio Commentary - Recorded for a 2004 International DVD release of the film (via Warner Home Video), this spliced-together track features director Sean Cunningham, editor Bill Freida, composer Harry Manfredini and stars Adrienne King and Betsy Palmer, and is hosted by "Crystal Lake Memories" author Peter M. Bracke. Since said author is me, I can't be objective about this commentary other than to say it is the best commentary ever. Though the editing is sometimes choppy (hey, I didn't do it), the track is quite packed with stories and background on the late '70s film scene that spawned 'Friday the 13th,' while the wealth of participants also staves off boredom. Plus, the host has a really sexy, deep voice. Again, greatest commentary ever!
    "Did I ever tell you I was struck by lightning seven times?"

gamma626 is offline Member

peter did the commentary?! Nice! Day one for me! I've never really seen the movie.
    4K UHD's Owned: 20
    Most Recent Purchase: Underworld: Blood Wars (Best Buy Steelbook), La La Land
    Currently Playing: Persona 5, Marvel Heroes Omega
    Pre-Orders: Destiny 2 (PS4
    PSN/GT/WiiU: Gammagoll
    Quote Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
    You have just been blessed with the power of awesomeness.

Will buy for sure at some point, as well as parts 2-4 when they are released stateside
    Last edited by cherrygarcia; 01-21-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Jimbo976 is offline Member

I've had this ordered since day 1. One of my all time favorites.
    "There will not be a 400 dollar ps3. God, that's like the titanic running into another iceberg... Stop your FUD."
    Treadstone

project-blu is offline Former Member
    I'm not here. I'm elsewhere. Don't celebrate, I'm not dead yet.

yeah, peter does deserve points for one- not instantly making it a 5 star review, despite his history on the title, and two- ACTUALLY BEING ON THE DISC.

i've seen some really crappy statements floating around about this disc, and people claiming things, but no one can dispute someone BEING ON THE DISC. that's a career highlight right there, mr peter.
    Tumbleweeds.

Tumbleweeds everywhere.

Still want to get his book, someone loan it to me
    Project-Blu: the new stop for Blu-ray reviews, news, articles, insider info,and the Amazon pre-order page.

Quote Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
    yeah, peter does deserve points for one- not instantly making it a 5 star review, despite his history on the title, and two- ACTUALLY BEING ON THE DISC.

i've seen some really crappy statements floating around about this disc, and people claiming things, but no one can dispute someone BEING ON THE DISC. that's a career highlight right there, mr peter.
    Next we'll have Josh doing a commentary on 'Dune'

hmm... can someone tell me what the extended stuff is??? i'm not sure if i'll get this until a full set is released but i never knew that there is extended scenes.
    Supporter. Current Toys: Vizio M65D0, Fluance ES 5.1, Definitive Technology SC 4000, Sony STR-DN840, Phillips BDP7501.
    Console List:
    PS4,ONE,Gamecube, N64, SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, Saturn,PSTv,Vita,3DS, Retron 5
    Lifetime member of the Military Order of the Purple Heart
    2017 Completed List:http://forums.highdefdigest.com/game...inish-481.html
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

GizmoDVD is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hairlesswookiee View Post
    hmm... can someone tell me what the extended stuff is??? i'm not sure if i'll get this until a full set is released but i never knew that there is extended scenes.
    10 more seconds of gore.

And yeah, for those that don't have it, Peter's book on F13 is actually pretty good.

Arturo Lugo is offline Member

I'm not buyinng this only because of the commentary

I kid...

BTW, How's the picture quality on this one compared to another low budget horror classic such as Texas Chainsaw Massacre? I loved the transfer on that one, adequate for the film yet very good quality (without being Transformers by no means), how well does Ft13th stands against that, for example?
    Excited for the start of the UHD era

HT room - 5.1.2 setup:
    Samsung UN55HU9000 + SEK 3500U , Onkyo TX-NR646 , Elemental Designs fronts/center/sub + Polk rears/ceiling speakers || PS4, PS3, Xbox One S, Xbox 360, Wii U, 3DS

Bedroom - 2.1 setup:
    Sony KDL-46EX523 + Samsung HW-H550 Soundbar || Sony BDP-S380, Google Chromecast

Content is king!

Is that Friday the 13th book out of print? I've loved those movies since my childhood and own the original and the next 8 sequels on DVD. But, that link brought me to the amazon page where market place people were selling it for over a hundred dollars.

ben1080p is offline Member

He's a fan? I mean his review was super possitive and making the negative seem small.
    On top of that he wrote a apparently awesome book on the history of the series !

...and All he gives it is 3 stars WTF.
    Format Neutral
    BD:78 HD:85

Arch-Nemesis: ben1080i

Quote Originally Posted by dannyschmanny View Post
    epic ben1080p.......f***ing ....epic.
    Yea..im that awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ben1080p View Post
    He's a fan? I mean his review was super possitive and making the negative seem small.
    On top of that he wrote a apparently awesome book on the history of the series !

...and All he gives it is 3 stars WTF.
    I think in terms of fun factor because it's such a crazy and innovative b-movie it's amount of "stars" is endless...but in terms of the quality of the movie itself...well it's no On the Waterfront. It's just a fun and entertaining movie with almost zero plot and no budget that just so happened to pave the way (although it borrowed ideas itself) for many other horror movies.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast