Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... Last>>

Default Akira on Bluray announced

First post so I'm unable to put in a link, but Animenewsnetwork.com posted today that Akira will be released in Japan on Feb 20 and the US on Feb 24, 2009.

Can't wait for this one.
    wow YES!!!!!!
    + =
    Lets hope it gets the treatment it deserves with a new master in 1080p at a fair price.

What I suspect we will get is a encode from the masters used back in 2000 at a high price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathpoop View Post
    Lets hope it gets the treatment it deserves with a new master in 1080p at a fair price.

What I suspect we will get is a encode from the masters used back in 2000 at a high price.
    The article says msrp will be $49.99 so your second statement is probably right on. Still a buy for me though.
    There are really very few anime that I would buy in high def, and less so due to the exhorbitantly high prices.

Unfortunately for my wallet, Akira is one of them. See ya, 50 bucks, hope you have a better life somewhere else.
    Blu-ray's: 234
    60gb PS3 w/ 320gb hdd, 360 Pro + 120gb HDD, Wii
    Quote Originally Posted by Space_Butler View Post
    There are really very few anime that I would buy in high def, and less so due to the exhorbitantly high prices.

Unfortunately for my wallet, Akira is one of them. See ya, 50 bucks, hope you have a better life somewhere else.
    The silver lining is that it will likely be $35 on Amazon... which is very high out of context but in context to Bandai's previous pricing is relatively affordable.
    I paid $11 for the standard DVD DTS edition and enjoyed it well enough... I was never that into this movie. It's exciting and has a great soundtrack but the plot doesn't do it for me. Still, I really want to support anime on Blu-Ray so I'll probably get it at $35 or less.
    -Paul Acevedo
    Editor, Windows Central, iMore, and Android Central
    Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo
    Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!
    • Display: Samsung LN52A550 52-inch LCD
    • Surround: Sony something
    • Player: Sony BDP-S580
    www.blu-ray.com has other details about this release.
    scroll down a little ways.
    Sweet once it goes down in price I might pick this up!! Now we need Ghost in the Shell.
    Mischa.
    Xbox 360 & Playstation Network Gamer Tag mischa316
    Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD Player. HD DVD Disks 21.
    Magnavox Blu Ray Player & 80GB PS3 Blu Rays 30.
    42" Philips 1080i w/Ambilight Plasma TV.
    Philips FR 968 Receiver.
    "The disc will feature a new 1.85 high definition transfer presented in AVC 1080p, made from the film's original elements. The title will include English and Japanese audio, with optional English and Japanese subtitles. The Japanese 5.1 Dolby TrueHD soundtrack will consist of a 192kHz 24-bit audio stream, an industry first."

WOWZERS!
    + =
    Quote Originally Posted by mischa316 View Post
    Sweet once it goes down in price I might pick this up!! Now we need Ghost in the Shell.
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1368...eshell_jp.html
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by raunchy View Post
    "The disc will feature a new 1.85 high definition transfer presented in AVC 1080p, made from the film's original elements. The title will include English and Japanese audio, with optional English and Japanese subtitles. The Japanese 5.1 Dolby TrueHD soundtrack will consist of a 192kHz 24-bit audio stream, an industry first."

WOWZERS!

Damn, and I thought the new AC/DC: No Bull BD was an industry first with its True HD 96kHz/24bit audio!

Akira will be mine....again.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
    Damn, and I thought the new AC/DC: No Bull BD was an industry first with its True HD 96kHz/24bit audio!

Akira will be mine....again.
    It's 24-bit/192KHz
    Still, sheesh! Does it really benefit from it?

Do they *really* have a studio archive of such high sampling rate?
    Or is it going to be an upconvert from 16-bit/48KHz?
    Quote Originally Posted by BozQ View Post
    It's 24-bit/192KHz

I'm sure it'll be a remastered track.

The AC/DC one was from 1996. Akira is late 80's. They'll either create new elements from the newest DTS 5.1 mixes or make one from scratch.

I don't even know. If done right, there's no reason it wouldn't be a reference disc right of the bat.
    Quote Originally Posted by BozQ View Post
    It's 24-bit/192KHz

ive yet to hear any instances where theres been an upconvert, no point since no quality would be gained and may reduce quality, and the size increase would be a waste.

24-bit/192 khz is perfectly feasible, something from back then might have been recorded to DAT at a low sample/freq but if it was recorded on good ol' analog tape then like film, analog tape resolves more than 192 khz/24-bit resolution.
    + =